Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm currently applying to Oxford to study physics, and have achieved an A* in maths A level and high A's in the remaining AS (physics and chemistry). Next year I'm planning on taking further maths AS and A2 and physics A2, but am debating whether or not I should drop chemistry. Apparently Cambridge's stance is that a maths, further maths and physics combination of A levels isn't broad enough to demonstrate appropriate ability, as they claim for someone who is strong at maths, maths and further maths doesn't provide a significant challenge. I'm assuming Oxford have a similar stance, but can anyone here shed some light as to if a maths, FM and physics combination truly hinders your application, and if a fourth A level is necessary to compensate for having took further maths?

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that both Oxford and Cambridge actually want further maths, if you plan to do physics. Perhaps I am mistaken? Oxford's website says that physics and mathematics are expected, and further maths may be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akuma2)
    Hey, I'm currently applying to Oxford to study physics, and have achieved an A* in maths A level and high A's in the remaining AS (physics and chemistry). Next year I'm planning on taking further maths AS and A2 and physics A2, but am debating whether or not I should drop chemistry. Apparently Cambridge's stance is that a maths, further maths and physics combination of A levels isn't broad enough to demonstrate appropriate ability, as they claim for someone who is strong at maths, maths and further maths doesn't provide a significant challenge. I'm assuming Oxford have a similar stance, but can anyone here shed some light as to if a maths, FM and physics combination truly hinders your application, and if a fourth A level is necessary to compensate for having took further maths?
    My friend just got into Oxford for physics. Maths and further maths are counted as separate A levels. He did 4 A2s, maths, further, physics and chemistry, but chemistry did not form part of his offer and was apparently not mentioned at all in any communication

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.