Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This was my first time resitting the AS year, in the hope to get AAAb in History Psychology Economics and Philosophy, respectively. Unfortunately my results were so horrible CUEU and I have no idea how this happened, I was getting A's in my past papers and practice papers which were marked by my teacher, I thought I was going to do really well, so did my teachers and my classmates, I went to the library to revise twice a week for 3-6 hours, with additional revision at home, months prior to the exams.

How did this happen? I honestly don't know, but this was my first time RESITTING the year and now I just feel so hopeless and a failure and I really have no direction on what to do, my Mum says retry, but I just feel so demoralized and demotivated. It can't be a mistake as I did badly in most of my modules, only 1 module I achieved an A in :/ which rounded up to an E because of the other.

I am just looking for some direction on what to do, especially since January resits (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) have been removed.

ReputationRep:
    That's ok buddy, I know a lot of people in the same position as yourself.

Never lose hope man that's the best tip you can get.

I suggest retaking the year or if you really can't be assed then go to A2 and work your butt off for A2 exams while slowly looking over AS content. I was expecting similar, but didn't get as good as I wanted.
    I have no idea what happened this year, as much as I'm happy for those that got good grades, the vast majority looked at that results paper and said 'wut'

But keep your heart hardened, this is not the end of anything and you seem very smart, so maybe, just a bad luck season? I am positive if you keep at it, you will get those results and higher. Just keep at it. Oh and also maybe get a few remarks taken?

You're not alone on this and it's not the end of the world! Don't worry

ReputationRep:
    If your adamant, i suggest either getting a remark straight away or even telling your college that you want some scripts back, in which you can verify it with a teacher to see if its worthy a remark.

ReputationRep:
    You're definitely not the only one. I was hoping for good results too, but was disappointed like crazy. I was performing really well in my A2 Economics, getting A* in Jan and practice papers but for some reason in my AS Unit resit (in June) I ended up with an E. No idea how that happened. Getting A* in A2 and E in AS module. All my friends, and classmates expected an A* from me, but got a B overall instead. Didn't make sense whatsoever. I've sent it for a remark; but at this stage I know how you feel.
    There were so many people in the same position as you. Unexpected results. But I guess you should just go for A2, and resit a few AS Mods of the subjects you'd be taking. I am sure it's not the case that you don't know your AS content; So it won't be hard for you, in my opinion.
    Don't lose hope.
    Keep working hard right till the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cmy1294)
    You're definitely not the only one. I was hoping for good results too, but was disappointed like crazy. I was performing really well in my A2 Economics, getting A* in Jan and practice papers but for some reason in my AS Unit resit (in June) I ended up with an E. No idea how that happened. Getting A* in A2 and E in AS module. All my friends, and classmates expected an A* from me, but got a B overall instead. Didn't make sense whatsoever. I've sent it for a remark; but at this stage I know how you feel.
    There were so many people in the same position as you. Unexpected results. But I guess you should just go for A2, and resit a few AS Mods of the subjects you'd be taking. I am sure it's not the case that you don't know your AS content; So it won't be hard for you, in my opinion.
    Don't lose hope.
    Keep working hard right till the end.
    How feasible is it to achieve A's in all of my modules (both AS and A2) at the end of the year, have you heard other people suceeding at this?

I really wanted to get into a good university and study Ancient History, but now that my record shows that I've resat the year and retaking my AS in my A2 year, I'm not even sure if it's possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JediArron)
    How feasible is it to achieve A's in all of my modules (both AS and A2) at the end of the year, have you heard other people suceeding at this?

I really wanted to get into a good university and study Ancient History, but now that my record shows that I've resat the year and retaking my AS in my A2 year, I'm not even sure if it's possible.
    Please don't think you are the only one. I have exactly the same problem and am in the same situation. School have sent for remarks and scripts and are suggesting that I resit and do my A2's next year, I am really thinking about repeating year 12 though. I have searched on TSR and there are people here who have resat the year and have done well and got through to RG unis. I also do not know which way to turn but I suspect all will be revealed in the scripts!

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's definitely not an "easy" thing to get A*'s and A's but seeing the way you work prior to your exams and stuff it's definitely possible for you. Well, I have friends who ended up with A*s and A's in History and Psychology. Many A's for Economics too. They worked hard, they got through to good unis. I am sure you'd be fine if you retook AS.
    A guy in our school retook year twice as well, he went to uni last year, when he was 20. So there's nothing to worry about. He ended up with all A's and went to the uni he really wanted to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cmy1294)
    Well, it's definitely not an "easy" thing to get A*'s and A's but seeing the way you work prior to your exams and stuff it's definitely possible for you. Well, I have friends who ended up with A*s and A's in History and Psychology. Many A's for Economics too. They worked hard, they got through to good unis. I am sure you'd be fine if you retook AS.
    A guy in our school retook year twice as well, he went to uni last year, when he was 20. So there's nothing to worry about. He ended up with all A's and went to the uni he really wanted to go.
    May I inquire which uni it was?

ReputationRep:
    I am not 100% sure but I think it was Brighton.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, you are not the only one. I was predicted ABB and came out with DEU.

Opted to repeat year 12 at a different college, and got AAB this time round. Lots of people in similar positions - everyone learns at different rates

My advice is if you've had trouble this year, don't opt to go to Y13 and resit Y12 all in the same year. I've known lots of college friends who went for that option and did not much better than their first year. But everyone is different, of course.

EDIT: Maybe get a priority remark done on a couple of them and see if your grades change? It does sound like you've really worked your arse off. Exam boards can of course screw up massively, as everybody already knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spleenharvester)
    As others have said, you are not the only one. I was predicted ABB and came out with DEU.

Opted to repeat year 12 at a different college, and got AAB this time round. Lots of people in similar positions - everyone learns at different rates

My advice is if you've had trouble this year, don't opt to go to Y13 and resit Y12 all in the same year. I've known lots of college friends who went for that option and did not much better than their first year. But everyone is different, of course.

EDIT: Maybe get a priority remark done on a couple of them and see if your grades change? It does sound like you've really worked your arse off. Exam boards can of course screw up massively, as everybody already knows.
    Hmm, but wouldn't it effect the university's perception as me, they want someone who'd do their course first time round otherwise resit costs etc. By the way, this would be my 2nd time resitting the year :l

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it would. But at the end of the day the chances that you'd get better grades are higher than a normal A2 student would. You can think about retaking a few modules but I'd say that is stressful to handle it with A2 exams. Not to mention the Jan exams are being taken away. So you'd have a lot of exams at the end of yhe year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.