Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

Got my grades two days ago and was accepted to University of Bristol for economics.
    However living in London and attend UCL was my dream. Don't get me wrong, Bristol is amazing. It's just I lived in Bristol for 5 years for high school already and it would be nice if I can go somewhere new to experience new things!

Since UCL does not operate in adjustment or clearing. The only two ways to get into UCL are take a gap year and reapply next year, or attend Bristol for a year than get transfer to UCL (If I'm right?). I prefer the second way and just wanted to ask you guys if there are anyone out there who has done it before and would be nice if some of you can share some personal experience towards this.

Thanks!
    TC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tp6cl4)
    Hey guys

Got my grades two days ago and was accepted to University of Bristol for economics.
    However living in London and attend UCL was my dream. Don't get me wrong, Bristol is amazing. It's just I lived in Bristol for 5 years for high school already and it would be nice if I can go somewhere new to experience new things!

Since UCL does not operate in adjustment or clearing. The only two ways to get into UCL are take a gap year and reapply next year, or attend Bristol for a year than get transfer to UCL (If I'm right?). I prefer the second way and just wanted to ask you guys if there are anyone out there who has done it before and would be nice if some of you can share some personal experience towards this.

Thanks!
    TC
    It is a big mistake to take a course with the intention of transferring out of it. Universities are very reluctant to allow this and you are most likely to be stuck where you are. Either take Bristol with the intention of staying there or take a year out and apply to UCL.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for bristol still you can move to london anytime when you're older.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tp6cl4)
    Hey guys

Thanks!
    TC
    Not sure how it would work for Economics but obviously you'd be naking a fresh UCAS application and hence it will show up that you had an offer from Bristol but are nevertheless declining it or reapplying. Do UCL allow transfers into their course? You should consider that first. Secondly would it be worth leaving a very good university like Bristol on the off chance of getting into UCL? Did you ask for feedback as to why UCL rejected as it may not have been on academic grounds and unless you significantly strengthened your application between now and reapplying, you could well end up being rejected a second time.

Bristol is a very good uni and a competitive one to get into as is Economics so you've done well there. They have good networking opportunities so if you do well there, you may find getting that City job won't be too difficult. Worldwide perhaps UCL slightly is better known only because it's older and in London but I know Bristol grads working in IBs in Tokyo and New York so clearly the West Country air did them no harm.

Think about it carefully. If UCL is what you really want then find out first if they will consider and perhaps if Bristol might give you an offer agin for next year by reapplying. Worst thing would be to start uni whilst looking to go elsewhere because you might find. It difficult to engage with the work and social life.

Put it this way, I was obsessed with going to Oxbridge for undergrad but it didn't happen. I thought it'd be the end of the world but I went away and worked hard and now I will be doing postgrad at Canbridge. A few years late but I finally realised my lifelong ambition.

If UCL is what you want then why not go there for postgrad? If you do well you could apply to even Oxbridge, Ivy Leagues, Stanford, LSEetc. I mean my alma mater Exeter, Open University, hardly much to set the world alight but I got offers for postgrad at Cambridge, Columbia, UPenn and Chicago. So if you do well at undergrad in and outside the lecture hall then there's no reason you can't get to where you want to be.

I've rambled on but hope it helps....all the best.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! Pretty much stuck in the same situation as you - I got an offer to read English Literature & Creative Writing in University of Warwick, but my dream was to live in London and attend UCL (compared to other London schools, the culture and environment there just seems more vibrant!).
    Another concern I had was the school's international reputation -- this is pretty important for me as I am an international student and would most probably return to my home country to seek employment.

I wonder what decision you made in the end?

ReputationRep:
    @silliebilly similar position to you! To do Eng Lit - UCL is just the dream, but rejection...I'm firming Bristol but I definitely don't aim to stay for long (not that its not a fantastic uni etc). I agree with the whole UCL international thing. I'm definitely looking to get transferred by autumn 2016 providing grades are met this summer...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silliebilly)
    Hi there! Pretty much stuck in the same situation as you - I got an offer to read English Literature & Creative Writing in University of Warwick, but my dream was to live in London and attend UCL (compared to other London schools, the culture and environment there just seems more vibrant!).
    Another concern I had was the school's international reputation -- this is pretty important for me as I am an international student and would most probably return to my home country to seek employment.

I wonder what decision you made in the end?
    Comparing http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/e...w38/#structure
    To http://www.ucl.ac.uk/english/prospective/BA_English i'm not sure on first glance that the two first years would be compatable.

That would mean you'd be forced to apply fir transfer starting again in year 1...

I'd recommend you talk to UCL now before you accept an offer. Find out if they accept transfers (and if so which courses do they know of that are compatable). If they don't accept transfers then ask about the possibility of applying for yr1 entry while studying yr1 elsewhere. Some universities and courses will simply not accept applications from students who are looking to start again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.