The Student Room Group

How can I get my teacher to give me higher predicted grades?

I just got my AS results back and really disappointed with my results. I got 4 B's. Despite this, I was one raw mark off of an A in psychology and 2 raw marks off of an A in history. I am hoping to get these remarked so that they are boosted up to As. I don't want to be predicted BBB as due to my near A grades, I know I can achieve at least AAB, if not AAA at A-level. How can I convince my teacher to give me the higher predicted grades that I know I am capable of achieving? :bawling:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
AAB prediction wouldn't be unreasonable given your situation...

You need to tell them that you plan to resit (you should consider this). If you are edexcel history you get to do some coursework which is a great chance to boost marks.

Just be honest with teachers that you need these grades for uni and are willing to work for them, but I wouldn't be too surprised if your predicted grades are around that mark anyway.
Reply 2
Just talk to them. My school predicts us one grade up generally but, in your readmission interview, you can generally persuade them to go up another (or lower it, if you choose, though I don't see why).
Reply 3
just ask them! talk to your teacher if they give you lower than AAB. some predicted grades are never right though, my twin sister got like 10 A*s in gcse and she was predicted AAAA while I was predicted A*A*AA. we both ended up getting AABB in as though so I don't know what's going to happen with mine :/ tbh there's so many factors that go into a predicted grade and it's easy to change some of them :smile:
Sexual favours?
Reply 5
Beg, Beg and then beg some more :lol:

seriously though I'd have serious sit down with your teacher and you explain why you believe you can get that prediction, either by taking a resit or promising you'll stay behind for an hour or 2 every week :lol:

my friend did this and a harsh teacher raised his predicted grade :biggrin: from a B to an A (and he wasn't close to the boundary like you)
Like the others said, just talk to them. I got ABCC at AS (one UMS off a B in Spanish which was annoying) and my teachers predicted me AAB because they thought that this was achievable. So I got offers from Exeter, Surrey, Cardiff and Oxford Brookes.
Got my results on Thursday, got ABB (better than I expected as I thought I would get ABC) and I'm off to Cardiff to study Sociology :smile:
They should be fine predicting you AAA-AAB if they think it's realistic that you can achieve this - which it sounds like you are as you're willing to put the work in :smile:
Good Luck OP
Just explain how you were practically on the grade and say your life depends on it :wink:
haha just joking
Reply 8
keep bugging them :smile:
Reply 9
Thank you for all the positive responses! I hope to have my psychology and history remarked, as well as retaking my politics which I was 4 raw marks off of an A. Hopefully my teacher will see how determined I am from this!
Reply 10
Did anyone take AS AQA English Lit B by the way? I'd like to know what everyone got in their January exam/summer resit. So happy I'm dropping that subject hahah :smile:
Reply 11
Take a picture of yourself and slip it into their bag or pocket. Threaten legal action if they do not meet your demands.

Jokes aside, show them your committed to the subject by inquiring after/during class any stuff which you did not understand, show them quality notes which you produce outside of class and even past papers - pointing out any q's which you do not full understand.

Obviously some teachers stand strong against their predictions, as they've seen probably hundreds of students which may be similar of your ability not achieving their prediction at the end. In this case, maybe ask your form tutor to enquire for you as they can often persuade them a lot better, than students.
Reply 12
Original post by Jkizer
Jokes aside, show them your committed to the subject by inquiring after/during class any stuff which you did not understand, show them quality notes which you produce outside of class and even past papers - pointing out any q's which you do not full understand.

Thanks, I'll do that. My UCAS mentor is my psychology teacher, and I want to do psych at uni so hopefully she'll be kind to me :wink:
Reply 13
Original post by rew96
Thanks, I'll do that. My UCAS mentor is my psychology teacher, and I want to do psych at uni so hopefully she'll be kind to me :wink:

Thats cool, Psychology at A2 is based on essays, so just make sure after covering each topic to try and make an exampler A grade essay on the comp, before asking her to give more pointers to content/structure.

Teachers like that as it shows you are eager to get the best possible grade, which gives them less concern come exam period.
Reply 14
That's a really good idea! Thank you! Im guessing you took psychology then?
Reply 15
Original post by rew96
That's a really good idea! Thank you! Im guessing you took psychology then?

Yep i managed to step up and bag 93 UMS on unit 2 :smile: Much better than my scraping 80 ums for unit 1 !

Its fairly straight forward, no spontaneous questioning like in other subjects but its quite one for memory! As long as you do it all progressively, it should be ok :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Jkizer
Yep i managed to step up and bag 93 UMS on unit 2 :smile: Much better than my scraping 80 ums for unit 1 !

Its fairly straight forward, no spontaneous questioning like in other subjects but its quite one for memory! As long as you do it all progressively, it should be ok :smile:

Wow well done! Ahh its going to be pretty difficult then considering we have to do both exams in summer- and they'll be within the space of a week according to my teacher... I have a pretty good memory though so hopefully I'll be ok! What grade did you get overall then?
Reply 17
If I achieved ACC (C in History which i will be getting remarked), is an A*AB prediction too ludicrous. The A was in English lit and that was around 90%. Also does completely failing your 4th as level i.e. maths, massively hinder my chances of getting into unis such as leeds, york, ucl etc. I was planning on taking up another as or could an epq be used to replace it?
Original post by rew96
Did anyone take AS AQA English Lit B by the way? I'd like to know what everyone got in their January exam/summer resit. So happy I'm dropping that subject hahah :smile:

I did AS AQA English Lit 1C. It was my first time sitting the exam and I got an E, luckily I got an A in the coursework though bringing my overall grade to a C. English= dropped :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by rew96

I got an A in the exam and coursework, but that was after working my butt off. I know many people who got Us after not even bothering to read the book

Quick Reply

Latest