Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, just wanted to ask for some input in regards to my situation.

I'll be bringing my gaming desktop to the University of Sheffield from Surrey. It's an ATX sized PC which has some aging components. I was planning on being able to bring my desktop back during the long lasting breaks, but this is unfeasible as I will be travelling by train.

I was wondering whether people have had any experiences or input in regards to upgrading your PC into a mITX case, transforming it into a small form factor computer. This would make things a lot easier with bringing my desktop to and from University.

I won't need to carry around my monitor, as I have a 30" monitor at home which I will keep there, while I will be keeping a 24" monitor at University.

I've included the specs of my computer below, just in case anyone's interested.

[Q6600 @ 3.35GHz] [Titan Fenrir] [3GB (3 x 1GB) DDR2 667MHz] [GTX 560 Ti 1GB] [Asus P5B] [Antec TP750 PSU] [Seagate 500gb] [128GB Samsung 830] [Antec 900]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fidgetingmidget)
    Hey everyone, just wanted to ask for some input in regards to my situation.

I'll be bringing my gaming desktop to the University of Sheffield from Surrey. It's an ATX sized PC which has some aging components. I was planning on being able to bring my desktop back during the long lasting breaks, but this is unfeasible as I will be travelling by train.

I was wondering whether people have had any experiences or input in regards to upgrading your PC into a mITX case, transforming it into a small form factor computer. This would make things a lot easier with bringing my desktop to and from University.

I won't need to carry around my monitor, as I have a 30" monitor at home which I will keep there, while I will be keeping a 24" monitor at University.

I've included the specs of my computer below, just in case anyone's interested.

[Q6600 @ 3.35GHz] [Titan Fenrir] [3GB (3 x 1GB) DDR2 667MHz] [GTX 560 Ti 1GB] [Asus P5B] [Antec TP750 PSU] [Seagate 500gb] [128GB Samsung 830] [Antec 900]
    Never done this.............however make sure to thoroughly check the reviews of the mini-itx case you want, so you can make sure that your cpu cooler and gpu will fit.

However be aware you might as well upgrade your system as you need a mini-itx mobo and most likely a smaller cooler.

ReputationRep:
    An overclocked Q6600 might not handle so well in a mITX case but it's definitely doable. The other problem will be finding a good 775 mITX board nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking of doing. I was considering purchasing a Bitfenix Prodigy case, and a Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge/Haswell CPU along with the respective motherboard, 8GB of RAM and some sort of cooler. I was considering looking at the water cooling options like the Corsair HXX or Antec Kuhler series, as they take up considerably less space than a traditional heatsink. With the cost of these components, I will only be able to upgrade my computer down the line (not immediately).

I'm just thinking of replacing my aging 6 year old motherboard, CPU and RAM while making my desktop a lot more easy to travel with.

ReputationRep:
    As you said, a CPU, motherboard and RAM upgrade would probably be best. LGA1155/1150 would probably be best since there's so few AM3+ motherboards of that form factor, i3/i5 would work well. The stock cooler is fine unless you are overclocking (which is only possible if you have a k-series chip, which starts at ~£180).

In terms of cases, you don't necessarily have to opt for an mITX case. I'm mainly saying this because the prodigy is good, but it's actually bigger in size compared to a number of mATX cases. While that's not a problem on it's own, considering mITX motherboards tend to be more expensive, you may want to look around for other cases to save some money. As an example, the NZXT Vulcan and the Bitfenix Survivor both have carrying handles so it'll be decent for transport, but gives a bit more flexibility with more expansion slots and such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ctrls)
    As you said, a CPU, motherboard and RAM upgrade would probably be best. LGA1155/1150 would probably be best since there's so few AM3+ motherboards of that form factor, i3/i5 would work well. The stock cooler is fine unless you are overclocking (which is only possible if you have a k-series chip, which starts at ~£180).

In terms of cases, you don't necessarily have to opt for an mITX case. I'm mainly saying this because the prodigy is good, but it's actually bigger in size compared to a number of mATX cases. While that's not a problem on it's own, considering mITX motherboards tend to be more expensive, you may want to look around for other cases to save some money. As an example, the NZXT Vulcan and the Bitfenix Survivor both have carrying handles so it'll be decent for transport, but gives a bit more flexibility with more expansion slots and such.
    Thanks for the advice. Ideally I'd like an overclockable CPU as I'm a bit of an enthusiast and enjoy squeezing performance out of components, but I understand the extra cost involved in doing so, as I'd have to opt for an overclockable mITX motherboard and a K series processor.

Your point about the mATX cases is a very good one, though. I may be able to find a smaller case than the Bitfenix Prodigy while actually saving some money, as mITX motherboards with overclocking capabilities are pretty expensive (about £150 iirc). Furthermore, this could come in handy for things like LAN parties. Ideally the case should be quite customizable and easy to work in as I gradually upgrade my computer over time rather than doing so all at once.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.