Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Japanese A Level course in London? Public (i.e., free) college or sixth form only Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I just got my Alevel results and they were not fantastic.

I got DDU forEnglish Lit, English Lang and Psychology respectively.

I wanted to studyJapanese at university but either my grades were not adequate or I lack a GCSEor A level in any foreign language.

Hence what I want todo now is retake English Lit and Lang to get a higher grade. However, I want todrop psychology for Japanese A level but an intensive course which could allowme to take Japanese AS and A2 in one year.

The only majorproblem I have is that I have searched far and wide and I have not been able tofind any publicly funded (i.e., paid for by the government rather than privateas I cannot afford private tuition) A level Japanese college.

My understandingfrom my research so far is that Edexcel is the only exam board that offersJapanese both at AS and A2. However, I have not been able to find any publiccolleges or schools that offer it. Only private ones.

Do any publicJapanese A level courses exist in London?

If anyone knows ofany such courses I would be eternally grateful if you would inform me of suchcourses.

Thanks very much!

ReputationRep:
    Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janeofsurrey)
    Hi there,

I wanted to studyJapanese at university but either my grades were not adequate or I lack a GCSEor A level in any foreign language.

Hence what I want todo now is retake English Lit and Lang to get a higher grade. However, I want todrop psychology for Japanese A level but an intensive course which could allowme to take Japanese AS and A2 in one year.

The only majorproblem I have is that I have searched far and wide and I have not been able tofind any publicly funded (i.e., paid for by the government rather than privateas I cannot afford private tuition) A level Japanese college.

My understandingfrom my research so far is that Edexcel is the only exam board that offersJapanese both at AS and A2. However, I have not been able to find any publiccolleges or schools that offer it. Only private ones.

If anyone knows ofany such courses I would be eternally grateful if you would inform me of suchcourses.

Thanks very much!
    I recommend that you contact the Japan Foundation (www.jpf.org.uk/‎) and ask about the Japanese A levels. They're really nice and really keen to promote Japanese learning in the UK

Regarding studying Japanese at university, have you decided where you want to study? Many of the universities with a reputation from having good courses in Asian Languages, including SOAS, look unfavourably on A levels in the languages - they want to start with a blank slate. For this reason, an A level in French, German, Russian etc would enhance your application more than a Japanese A level.

I've not seen the A level syllabus for Japanese, but the Edexcel Chinese A level is pretty tough, and I doubt that many students starting from scratch would be able to do it in one year. If you already have a good foundation in Japanese, ignore this paragraph

Well good luck with your Japanese - it's a really cool language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janeofsurrey)
    Hi there,

Thanks very much!
    I don't know anything about Japanese A level/University courses, but I just started learning it by myself. It started when I became really into Anime and always watched it Japanese with English subs so over time I began to pick up random little phrases and get a feel for the language. I was even predicting what they would say sometimes and I have never even studied or considered studying Japanese! So, if you're entirely new to the language I suggest that's where to start - watch a few anime series or films. And then start learning all the Hiragana and Katakana and around 500 Kanji to start with and go from there. Sorry I can't be of any help regarding the A level - but maybe you could get by on independently learning it for the exam, and then just find a centre that will let you sit the exams? After all, a language is not like any other subject - it needs to be absorbed through constant exposure. I think it makes it harder if you have to learn all the grammar and technicalities of the language with a scientific approach, like they do when they teach you. "Learn this grammar rule and its exceptions... etc etc". Especially if you're looking to study Japanese in University. I think you need to be almost fluent because they'll give you literature to study. I think it will be like A level English Lit but in Japanese. I could be wrong. Uh, as I said I'm sorry I can't be of much help, I mainly answered this question because I'm interested in the language and I like that you want to study it at Uni
    Btw I did French A level and only got a D, so I'm retaking it by learning independently, and more through exposure of the language in every day use, rather than rote learning of rules and vocabulary. Plus, you can't learn off a list of vocabulary of every single word out there! It would take you a ridiculous amount of time! Only way is to read books/watch films/tv shows in that language or better yet - spend some time in a country that speaks the language (if you can). Anyway my point is, I've already seen a large improvement in my French and I haven't touched my official A level books yet!

I'm very sorry to take so much of your time with this rambling! Do you already have a grounding in Japanese or are you learning from scratch?

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Milostar - I spoke to Japanese Foundation and they were nice and helpful and at the same time they did not know publicly funded colleges or sixth form but they had a list of places that do Japanese courses, but many of them were not A Level courses and where there were A level courses, there was just an option to sit the exam rather than to learn at the college. Also, there are colleges that teach it but they are independent and I can't afford to pay for tuition.

I did find one school that teaches Japanese in A levels, called Hendon School Sixth Form (others interested in this might be interested in checking this out). However, they said I would have to pay for tuition because I am retaking my A levels. This makes little sense to me though as I am still 18 (birthday to be 19 in June 2014) and I knew many people who retook their A levels while being funded by the government so I am doing research to clarify this point now.

Dragonrage973 - cheers for the advice, I also love anime, manga, Japanese music, dramas and other Japanese pop-culture thus I can completely relate to what you mean about picking up phrases and words. So I am not completely new to the language. In terms of speaking and listening I am a beginner to intermediate maybe. But, in writing and reading, I am a complete novice as I know no kanji, and I haven't spent much time on hiragana and katakana. Your approach of retaking through independent study is something I might do. My 2 question about that though are: (i) did you have the option of repeating the year at college or would you have had to pay for it and so you decided to do independent study? (ii) how are your parents (with whom I assume you live) about you retaking the year? Did you get a job as well or were they cool and you studying without being at an institute. My mum would not be happy with me studying independently and not working as well. If you're parents are okay with that though, do tell me so I could use your situation as an example where parents are cool with their child studying without an institute and not getting a job.

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.