Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got my AS results back on thursday, and they're **** (CDDE). My school are still yet to decide whether they should let me progress to A2, and i don't really know what i should do myself.
    IF i am allowed back in, my school provided a possible alternative route by allowing me to do 2 AS Levels and 2 A2 subjects next year. I don't know whether this is a good idea, as I'd like to resit all my AS modules for one of the 2 A2 subjects. I don't know if I'd learn A2 effectively if I'm still having to concentrate on previous modules. It's made worse by the fact that there are no longer any January exams, so I'd end up having to revise for loads of exams in the summer.
    Another alternative would be to resit year 12 and start my AS Levels again from scratch. I know this would be much easier to handle and i'd be pretty confident of succeeding a second time round. The only problem is I'd have to leave school and go to college, which i don't want to do for obvious reasons.
    Any ideas for the situation I'm in? Advice from people who were in a similar position last year would be appreciated.
    Do you think it would be possible to improve so much from AS to A2, especially whilst having to resit previous modules?
    My eventual aim is to go to university, but if i fail a second time with these exams i'll probably have to look for alternatives.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MCMXCV)
    I got my AS results back on thursday, and they're **** (CDDE). My school are still yet to decide whether they should let me progress to A2, and i don't really know what i should do myself.
    IF i am allowed back in, my school provided a possible alternative route by allowing me to do 2 AS Levels and 2 A2 subjects next year. I don't know whether this is a good idea, as I'd like to resit all my AS modules for one of the 2 A2 subjects. I don't know if I'd learn A2 effectively if I'm still having to concentrate on previous modules. It's made worse by the fact that there are no longer any January exams, so I'd end up having to revise for loads of exams in the summer.
    Another alternative would be to resit year 12 and start my AS Levels again from scratch. I know this would be much easier to handle and i'd be pretty confident of succeeding a second time round. The only problem is I'd have to leave school and go to college, which i don't want to do for obvious reasons.
    Any ideas for the situation I'm in? Advice from people who were in a similar position last year would be appreciated.
    Do you think it would be possible to improve so much from AS to A2, especially whilst having to resit previous modules?
    My eventual aim is to go to university, but if i fail a second time with these exams i'll probably have to look for alternatives.
    Thanks
    Well, with my brother he got something like CDDE and at A2 he ended up with A*AB. It really is not impossible but you would really needed to put your head down and start working ASAP. He worked extremely hard and at the end of the day it paid off.
    I mean, I'm in a similar situation. I'm not redoing Year 12 but I'm just going to resit all my modules which I messed up and hope for the best. At the end of the day, it's just about working hard. I've seen loads of people who improved massively from AS to A2.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    I strongly consider resitting your AS year, which is what many people have done before. Coping with A2 at the same time is going to be very hard. As you rightly said, the lack of January exams will mean that all your A2 and AS resits would be in Summer, which would be extremely stressful. Also, your school (if they let you in) would only let you do 2 full A-levels, which would only let you apply for certain unis, as most would want 3. This is just my opinion though, and you need to do what you believe you'll cope with best. Take some time to think carefully about your decision. xxx

ReputationRep:
    My first year of A levels (CUU). I quit and started again. This time i studied hard! No wasting time! Results now AAA. You can do this. It took me 3 years, but least I have offers from RG unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apple1992)
    My first year of A levels (CUU). I quit and started again. This time i studied hard! No wasting time! Results now AAA. You can do this. It took me 3 years, but least I have offers from RG unis.
    What have you applied for and where are your offers from? Sorry I'm just trying to figure out my situation atm.. I'd hoped for AAAB and came out with ABDU at AS. Wanted to apply for law at a RG such as Edinburgh, Queen Mary etc with eventual A*AA at A2. I've screwed this plan up massively and am debating whether to resit entire year or just certain modules.. Resitting just two modules could pull the D and U up to two Bs but then I would be applying with awful ASs. What do you think I should do? Would spending 3 years on A Levels go against me? Thank you x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham and sheffield

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e_rowe11)
    What have you applied for and where are your offers from? Sorry I'm just trying to figure out my situation atm.. I'd hoped for AAAB and came out with ABDU at AS. Wanted to apply for law at a RG such as Edinburgh, Queen Mary etc with eventual A*AA at A2. I've screwed this plan up massively and am debating whether to resit entire year or just certain modules.. Resitting just two modules could pull the D and U up to two Bs but then I would be applying with awful ASs. What do you think I should do? Would spending 3 years on A Levels go against me? Thank you x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Notts and shef

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think you didn't get the grades that you wanted - is it because you aren't passionate about the subjects? Didn't work as hard as you could have? Found the transition from GCSE difficult and think you'd be better prepared next time round? Think about these reasons before you make a decision. Also, what it is you want to study at Uni - do you need the A levels you are studying to get on a specific course, or could you change and do different ones? If you are keen to go to Uni to study a specific course next academic year then perhaps you could resit exams? Or if you're not bothered when you go to Uni as long as you go, you could resit the whole year with different/same subjects? It is totally up to you - all that matters is that you get the grades you need to get you where you want to be, not how long it took you. Do you think you would cope well with the pressure of doing AS and A2 at the same time? Good luck in making a decision

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    definitely focus on just resitting your AS's! think about why they went wrong- were you just on the wrong course or are you studying the wrong subjects? i got CDD in my AS's but carried on because i was at the crucial time when the fees were going to go up and i just wanted to leave home! so carried on and got CDD for my A2s as well. was a very disappointing time for me. i realise now why my grades were so bad- i was simply not ready to do my a levels! if i had had a gap year i am almost positive that my results would have been a lot better! partially as a result of rushing myself i developed serious mental health problems which came back to haunt me! anyway, i managed to leave home and got to uni (somehow!) with CDD results and although my results were a big let down, things have worked out ok in the end. i got seriously ill when i got to uni as a result of a backlog of low self esteem, ended up having to redo my first year as i ended up in hospital half way through my first year. I've now completed my first year, met the man of my dreams and am now pregnant hoping to continue on at the OU after the baby is born. my main advice would be - DON'T RUSH. if you don't feel ready to do your a levels now, then don't do them! a levels can wait, uni can wait, take things at YOUR pace and make sure you're doing what you want to do. i pushed myself into uni fast so i could stick on the 3k fees instead of the 9k and it came back to bite me! good luck with it all anyway xx

ReputationRep:
    If I were you i would get a job. You clearly aren't suited to high level academic study, let alone university

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    I'm in the exact position as you! I'm going to retake my AS-levels again, but this time, changing the subjects to ones i enjoy. Also, for me, I have to leave my school (the sixth form with the school) and leave to another college to retake my AS-Levels. I hated my sixth form anyway, but it's gonna take a lot of courage for me to go to a new place, meet new people with new teachers. I advice you not to do AS at the same time as A2 because you'll have loads of unwanted pressure; retake AS-levels again by themselves. Plus, getting good results this time is a MUST, as you're more likely to feel more comfortable with revisiting topics you may be strong at. One year goes by really fast, trust me. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Re sit the year less pressure.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Ey don't feel discouraged after those results i got similar in my AS; i got CCDD and i dropped one of the Cs (hated the subject) so i had CDD yet by A2 i got BBB - not the best but it got me into a top 30 uni which ain't bad. I proved my tutor wrong who never believed in me and i did better than many of my peers in terms of uni. Like i said keep hope you'll be fine but i know how you feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azarimanka)
    If I were you i would get a job. You clearly aren't suited to high level academic study, let alone university
    Can you really base a decision like that solely from my AS Results? You're ignorance is ironic. Thanks everyone else for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaaah!)
    Ey don't feel discouraged after those results i got similar in my AS; i got CCDD and i dropped one of the Cs (hated the subject) so i had CDD yet by A2 i got BBB - not the best but it got me into a top 30 uni which ain't bad. I proved my tutor wrong who never believed in me and i did better than many of my peers in terms of uni. Like i said keep hope you'll be fine but i know how you feel.
    Did you re-take any modules / AS exams to improve your grades? How much exams did you have for the summer? Obviously January re-sits isn't an option for me so I'm wary of the amount of work that'd be needed during the Summer.

ReputationRep:
    Can you really base a decision like that solely from my AS Results? You're ignorance is ironic. Thanks everyone else for the advice.
    Yes, I can judge that - A levels are the best judge we have of your ability for academic study. It would appear to be low.

With CDDE I would be careful who you call ignorant. Especially people who have massively outshone you academically. Good day to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apple1992)
    Thanks for the reply. Did you take 4 AS Level subjects or just the 3 you did for A2?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I can judge that - A levels are the best judge we have of your ability for academic study. It would appear to be low.

With CDDE I would be careful who you call ignorant. Especially people who have massively outshone you academically. Good day to you.
    You're clearly ignorant of the situation, not taking into regard my GCSEs, AS coursework or my attitude towards work last year before jumping to a conclusion like that. The last paragraph just makes you sound like an elitist snob tbh, you can't go through life looking down at people purely because of your academic success.

ReputationRep:
    You're clearly ignorant of the situation, not taking into regard my GCSEs, AS coursework or my attitude towards work last year. The last paragraph just makes you sound like an elitist snob tbh, you can't go through life looking down at people purely because of your academic success.
    CDDE - I am academically elitist. Hate to break it to you. But then I have never got a C or a D or an E so I don't know what it feels like to do so poorly.

The reality - I don't look 'down' on people who aren't so good, but I do question what they want to do going to 'uni'.

ReputationRep:

OP hasn't don't A levels yet. They've only done AS so far. Entirely possible to pull grades up

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.