Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently choosing my A-Levels and have narrowed my list down to English Literature, Psychology and Business Studies.

However, I need help deciding on a forth subject.

Any advice on another subject that will allow me to keep my career path open as I don't know what course I will study at university.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    You have an art and a couple of social sciences there, so Maths or one of the main sciences (Bio, Chem and Physics) would probably keep you're options open the most

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everysecond)
    I am currently choosing my A-Levels and have narrowed my list down to English Literature, Psychology and Business Studies.

Any advice on another subject that will allow me to keep my career path open as I don't know what course I will study at university.
    Hi, I have just finished my A levels. I also studied Business and Psychology, also Sociolgy, which is a good general subject which can be applied to most job areas, it also has lots of links between the two which is good for better understanding and examples. My other advice if youre capable is Maths, but it is rather challenging! good luck!

ReputationRep:

I would recommend picking a maths/science subject, so you are doing a bit of everything A-level wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06archer)
    Hi, I have just finished my A levels. I also studied Business and Psychology, also Sociolgy, which is a good general subject which can be applied to most job areas, it also has lots of links between the two which is good for better understanding and examples. My other advice if youre capable is Maths, but it is rather challenging! good luck!
    Thank you so much for the advice! Do you have any tips on how to succeed in Business and Psychology? Results day is getting closer, I am definitely becoming more anxious. I have been told on several occasions choose Maths if you receive A/A* at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dingo749)
    You have an art and a couple of social sciences there, so Maths or one of the main sciences (Bio, Chem and Physics) would probably keep you're options open the most
    Thank you. Which of the sciences do you recommend? I currently have Biology in mind. Physics is advised to take with Maths therefore I think Physics is not an option.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. Which of the sciences do you recommend? I currently have Biology in mind. Physics is advised to take with Maths therefore I think Physics is not an option.
    What are you're grades like at GCSE? And which do you enjoy?

Or put another way which of the four are definite no's, I can't do them?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say maths opens many doors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dingo749)
    What are you're grades like at GCSE? And which do you enjoy?

Or put another way which of the four are definite no's, I can't do them?
    My grades are mainly A's and couple B's. What are your A-Level subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunch_Box)
    I'd say maths opens many doors
    I agree, although, it seems highly challenging.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    My grades are mainly A's and couple B's. What are your A-Level subjects?
    I study Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and History.

Then I'd say pick which you enjoy the most/find most interesting as this will work best for you but definately pick either maths or one of the sciences to be as broad as possible

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    A language A-level is really impressive - I know it's classed as an arts subject by uni's (I think) but it would be good if you were capable of it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for the advice! Do you have any tips on how to succeed in Business and Psychology? Results day is getting closer, I am definitely becoming more anxious. I have been told on several occasions choose Maths if you receive A/A* at GCSE.
    No problem. I would say exam technique is very important, for both subjects, even if you know the answers, if its not answered correctly you will loose so many marks. So make sure you know how to do this. Also I would strongly advise starting revision notes early, I cant tell you how useful I found them at the end of the year and for end of A2 when you have to use things from AS too. I wouldnt worry too much about your results as long as you get the asking grades for your A level subjects, and 5 A*-C with English and Maths (B in these would be better) you're fine. I would say only do maths if you're grade A plus. I did get an A, however sat my exam in November so by September I had forgotten some things and the jump to A level is rather big. hope that helps, feel free to ask me other questions you have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06archer)
    No problem. I would say exam technique is very important, for both subjects, even if you know the answers, if its not answered correctly you will loose so many marks. So make sure you know how to do this. Also I would strongly advise starting revision notes early, I cant tell you how useful I found them at the end of the year and for end of A2 when you have to use things from AS too. I wouldnt worry too much about your results as long as you get the asking grades for your A level subjects, and 5 A*-C with English and Maths (B in these would be better) you're fine. I would say only do maths if you're grade A plus. I did get an A, however sat my exam in November so by September I had forgotten some things and the jump to A level is rather big. hope that helps, feel free to ask me other questions you have
    Thank you, I feel prepared starting A-Levels in September. Many people talk about the "major gap between GCSE and A-Level". Does that refer to the in depth teaching of the subject?

I will definitely make notes, I'm such an organised person it gets on people's nervous oops. What were your predicated A-Level grades if you don't mind me asking?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Many people talk about the "major gap between GCSE and A-Level". Does that refer to the in depth teaching of the subject?
    Yes it does and the way you learn too. At GCSE many people get away with just memorising things but at A level that wontvget you anywhere.

A level exam questions are structured so that you can only answer it if you truly understand the subject area. Every year there are new types of questions that test your understanding in different ways that have never been posed before.

You need to make sure everything goes in and stays in from the off and if you dont understand you must ask

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I feel prepared starting A-Levels in September. Many people talk about the "major gap between GCSE and A-Level". Does that refer to the in depth teaching of the subject?

I will definitely make notes, I'm such an organised person it gets on people's nervous oops. What were your predicated A-Level grades if you don't mind me asking?
    thats good yes the depth and theres much more work load, as well as emphasis on you doing work outside the classroom and not relying on the teacher. But I honestly found AS to A2 a bigger jump though. Also unlike GCSEs its much easier to move from a D to an A so people can drop quickly if they dont stay ontop. (GCSEs you basically stay the same grade or maybe go up or down one)

Haha thats a good start and my predicted was AAB. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.