The Student Room Group

Applying to Cambridge University, post Alevels and Gap years

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by iano101
You need 2A*s or more for a competitive application post A levels because the average Cambridge offer holder pre A level goes on to achieve 2.5A*s on average. Therefore post A level you need 2 or more A*s in order to be called for interview and subsequently a place.

By doing this is means people who apply pre A level aren't disadvantaged as they do not have their grades yet.

I suppose they could predict me A* for the re sit and I might get an offer based on achieving A*A*A. Is it alright re-sitting one subject (ie 2 units out of 4) like that? The subject was a mess during sixth form (everyone got Cs, Ds and Es at AS) and I'd apply with an extenuating circumstances form.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP
Reply 41
I guess I can post here since I'm applying to Cambridge this year on my gap year :biggrin:
Reply 42
Original post by CD315
I guess I can post here since I'm applying to Cambridge this year on my gap year :biggrin:

Hello! How was results day for you and what are you applying for? Having a little crisis of confidence over here with talk of needing 2 A*s! :/

Reply 43
Original post by PatrickB
Hello! How was results day for you and what are you applying for? Having a little crisis of confidence over here with talk of needing 2 A*s! :/

Hey. Results day was good for me - I got 4A*s in maths, further maths, physics and economics. I'll be applying for maths. What about you?
Original post by CD315
Hey. Results day was good for me - I got 4A*s in maths, further maths, physics and economics. I'll be applying for maths. What about you?

What will you be doing in your gap year? AFM, perhaps?
Dear all,
I am speaking in advance of an application I hope to make in autumn 2014, for Mathematics, at Cambridge. Even if indeed I am successful in getting the required A*A*A with distinction in STEP grades, I am worried that the large amount of retakes that I would have to do would put me at an insurmountable disadvantage. This is because in the summer, without any adequate excuse, I performed poorly in my AS grades.
The only motivating factor for me is the chance that I can still rectify my mistakes, and make a competitive application. Is this all in vain?
I'm applying to cambridge on a gap year too :smile: physnatsci woooooo
Reply 47
Original post by thesmallerhand
Dear all,
I am speaking in advance of an application I hope to make in autumn 2014, for Mathematics, at Cambridge. Even if indeed I am successful in getting the required A*A*A with distinction in STEP grades, I am worried that the large amount of retakes that I would have to do would put me at an insurmountable disadvantage. This is because in the summer, without any adequate excuse, I performed poorly in my AS grades.
The only motivating factor for me is the chance that I can still rectify my mistakes, and make a competitive application. Is this all in vain?

Depends how 'poorly' you performed?
Original post by iano101
Depends how 'poorly' you performed?

I have: AAABC grades in Maths, Economics, Physics, FMaths, Chemistry, The B and 3rd A were very low in their UMS. Also I currently have an A in A2. I have a lot of resits that I will have to do to improve my FMaths. Another complicating factor is that I have taken several resits for certain modules in pure maths already. I think in total to improve my chemistry and fmaths as, I will need to do an extra 5 resits next summer.
Given Cambridge's strict policy on retakes, I think we can agree that my chances are definitely very low but are they over. I was hoping that this bad performance can be compensated for by doing extremely well at A2, getting distinctions in STEP, attaining an A* at EPQ, doing an extra three modules of Further Maths (FP3,M3,S3) to the required standard.
Just to confirm I am going into year 13, hoping to finish my A-levels and then make my application to read Maths. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts.
I'm applying for deferred entry medicine, my AS average is alright (94%) but there are module marks I'm not really satisfied with (88 and 90 but both my teacher and I think I could have gotten 100%) so I'm thinking of retaking them this January (My board is CCEA so january resits are possible ), obviously not for cambridge but for myself.However if I was rejected this year I do wish to reapply, I know resits marks won't be included for ranking but would resitting have negative impact on my application, even if I was only resitting to make myself feel better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by Yishen Wang
I'm applying for deferred entry medicine, my AS average is alright (94%) but there are module marks I'm not really satisfied with (88 and 90 but both my teacher and I think I could have gotten 100%) so I'm thinking of retaking them this January (My board is CCEA so january resits are possible ), obviously not for cambridge but for myself.However if I was rejected this year I do wish to reapply, I know resits marks won't be included for ranking but would resitting have negative impact on my application, even if I was only resitting to make myself feel better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you resat and got very high UMS it would be noted as a good thing in the overall assessment even though it doesn't count in the "ranking". However if you resat and got lower I suppose it wouldn't look good.
Original post by Colmans
If you resat and got very high UMS it would be noted as a good thing in the overall assessment even though it doesn't count in the "ranking". However if you resat and got lower I suppose it wouldn't look good.

Thanks, I will try not to muck it up the second time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
I have: AAABC grades in Maths, Economics, Physics, FMaths, Chemistry, The B and 3rd A were very low in their UMS. Also I currently have an A in A2. I have a lot of resits that I will have to do to improve my FMaths. Another complicating factor is that I have taken several resits for certain modules in pure maths already. I think in total to improve my chemistry and fmaths as, I will need to do an extra 5 resits next summer.
Given Cambridge's strict policy on retakes, I think we can agree that my chances are definitely very low but are they over. I was hoping that this bad performance can be compensated for by doing extremely well at A2, getting distinctions in STEP, attaining an A* at EPQ, doing an extra three modules of Further Maths (FP3,M3,S3) to the required standard.
Just to confirm I am going into year 13, hoping to finish my A-levels and then make my application to read Maths. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts.

You will be competing with people who breezed through Maths & FM and scored near 100% with not too much difficulty. The reason Cambridge doesnt like resits is because you cant resit at degree level and although everybody can improve second time the calibre of people they are looking for do well first time.
For ranking your first year AS results and A2 modules will all be averaged for maths so they will bring up your UMS average but not as high as somebody with 100% at AS. They won't be that bothered about the Chemistry although it doesn't help. If you really did get 1,1 in STEP that would be very impressive but only half of those who achieve an offer do this well.
However it's never over till its over. If you want to give it a go and it motivates you to rise to the challenge the extra maths work is only going to help your applications elsewhere. Most good unis are going to expect at least A*A*A between Maths/FM/Physics.
Reply 53

I have to say it is unlikely you will get an offer due to the sheer number of resits, as stated previously, almost all will have no resits and have got very high grades, and only a small number will have 1-3 resits or so. On that I believe your chances are very slim and I would advise either consulting an admissions tutor at your desired college and getting their opinion. However, most likely you'll be having to look elsewhere I'm afraid.
Original post by Colmans
You will be competing with people who breezed through Maths & FM and scored near 100% with not too much difficulty. The reason Cambridge doesnt like resits is because you cant resit at degree level and although everybody can improve second time the calibre of people they are looking for do well first time.
For ranking your first year AS results and A2 modules will all be averaged for maths so they will bring up your UMS average but not as high as somebody with 100% at AS. They won't be that bothered about the Chemistry although it doesn't help. If you really did get 1,1 in STEP that would be very impressive but only half of those who achieve an offer do this well.
However it's never over till its over. If you want to give it a go and it motivates you to rise to the challenge the extra maths work is only going to help your applications elsewhere. Most good unis are going to expect at least A*A*A between Maths/FM/Physics.

Suppose in my best case scenario, I perform impeccably at A2, and my AS resits, resulting in: 5 A's at AS, and 4A*s at A2 (with extra modules in FMath). Then, if all the required hard work and fortune comes off, would I then a good chance of getting an interview? Also would a 1,1,1 at STEP (as difficult as it is) be so impressive that it compensates for the bad performance in FMath, Phys, Chem this summer?

I'm probably being naive but I got assurances from a Robinson college rep that they consider applications holistically and don't crudely rank the UMS marks (though it's an important factor). Anyway in that ranking system, just to confirm, you are saying that any retakes that I do are categorically irrelevant? Is that true for other universities as well, in their decision making?

Once again, thank you for any insight that you can provide and rest assured that I am not deluded about my chances. They are slim, but once again, are they completely gone? :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::rolleyes:
Also here is an excerpt of an email I got, albeit faculty not admissions, about retakes from someone at Cambridge.

"The point is that unless the applicant is deferring the application, which
is unusual, retakes are largely irrelevant. In your special case they may
be relevant
, but even for you the important thing is to get an interview
and if you end up with A*A*A (with or without retakes, taken over two or
three years) you would certainly get an interview
." Of course, good STEP
grades would be even better."

Should I interpret that as subtle admission from him that my chances are blown, but I am being encouraged to work hard and get the necessary grades at A2 and STEP? Is he wrong to say that I would certainly get an interview based on my particular set of circumstances? I am obviously trying to entertain in my head any possibility in which I succeed but would like a more realistic objective voice. Many thanks
Reply 56
Also here is an excerpt of an email I got, albeit faculty not admissions, about retakes from someone at Cambridge.

"The point is that unless the applicant is deferring the application, which
is unusual, retakes are largely irrelevant. In your special case they may
be relevant
, but even for you the important thing is to get an interview
and if you end up with A*A*A (with or without retakes, taken over two or
three years) you would certainly get an interview
." Of course, good STEP
grades would be even better."

Should I interpret that as subtle admission from him that my chances are blown, but I am being encouraged to work hard and get the necessary grades at A2 and STEP? Is he wrong to say that I would certainly get an interview based on my particular set of circumstances? I am obviously trying to entertain in my head any possibility in which I succeed but would like a more realistic objective voice. Many thanks

I think you are asking the same question in different ways to which we can only give the same answer. Its not over till its over-in other words yes, there is still a chance. If you get STEP 1,1 there is a bigger chance. We cannot tell you how good a chance nor can we tell you if your predictions of future success in A2 & STEP are realistic.
So how much time are people spending on gap year plans in the PS? I don't particularly have plans past January...
Reply 58
Original post by SixteenHundred
So how much time are people spending on gap year plans in the PS? I don't particularly have plans past January...

Not mentioning it apart from how I'm keeping up with maths :lol:
Reply 59
Original post by SixteenHundred

I gave a sentence saying I was working and volunteering abroad. With English it doesn't really matter that much; maths tutors would want to know that your brain isn't going to have turned into mush by this time next year after 12 months of lying on beaches and train-hopping.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending