Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Medicine possible and at what university? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have always adored the idea of taking medicine at university but am not sure where I now stand with my GCSE and AS results. At GCSE I got 3A*'s (Chemistry, Biology and History), 5A's (English Lang, Maths, Business Studies, Physics and RS/Citizenship) and 2B's (Electronics, English Lit) and at AS I got 3A's (Biology (One mark below 90%+), Chemistry and Maths), 1B (History) and 1D (Fortunately only in Crit Thinking). None of which were resits at AS. I've also done lots of volunteer work, shadowing etc. and am going to do the EPQ.

I was wondering what are the possibilities of me being able to do Medicine and what universities I would likely be accepted at?

Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    yes it should be possible for you to do medicine i dont see why not

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deaddocumentry)
    Hello,

I have always adored the idea of taking medicine at university but am not sure where I now stand with my GCSE and AS results. At GCSE I got 3A*'s (Chemistry, Biology and History), 5A's (English Lang, Maths, Business Studies, Physics and RS/Citizenship) and 2B's (Electronics, English Lit) and at AS I got 3A's (Biology (One mark below 90%+), Chemistry and Maths), 1B (History) and 1D (Fortunately only in Crit Thinking). None of which were resits at AS. I've also done lots of volunteer work, shadowing etc. and am going to do the EPQ.

I was wondering what are the possibilities of me being able to do Medicine and what universities I would likely be accepted at?

Thank you very much
    Check this on TSR

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_Requirements

From the look, most ask for AAA, however some specify a C for AS, others B and others A

Your grades and subjects are very good, and gcse's are fine to enter for 90% of the schools!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Are you carrying on bio, chem and maths to A2? If you can get A/A* predictions (as well as the other stuff - good PS, UKCAT/BMAT, interviews), you have a decent chance of getting into medicine I wouldn't worry about crit, and the B in history should be fine if you're dropping it next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ser00)
    Are you carrying on bio, chem and maths to A2? If you can get A/A* predictions (as well as the other stuff - good PS, UKCAT/BMAT, interviews), you have a decent chance of getting into medicine I wouldn't worry about crit, and the B in history should be fine if you're dropping it next year.
    Yeah, I am. Wicked, thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm planning on taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Health & Social care for Medicine.Would Health & Social Care be ok as its a BTEC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eric Moyo)
    Hello, I'm planning on taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Health & Social care for Medicine.Would Health & Social Care be ok as its a BTEC?
    I would recommend something else than a BTEC because it will reduce your chances, greatly at some universities. Other than that the first three subjects are good choices.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would choose Maths as it would complement your other three choices. Also, Physics and Maths overlap a bit.

I would also choose an a-level subject instead of BTEC as BTEC can be viewed as 'soft' by some universities. Furthermore, most universities that offer Medicine do not accept BTEC.

If you do not want to do Maths, sometimes a contrasting a-level subject is a good way to show your diverse way of working, especially an essay-type subject such as History or English.

Good luck on your studies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turtleslikekiwi)
    Personally, I would choose Maths as it would complement your other three choices. Also, Physics and Maths overlap a bit.I would also choose an a-level subject instead of BTEC as BTEC can be viewed as 'soft' by some universities. Furthermore, most universities that offer Medicine do not accept BTEC.If you do not want to do Maths, sometimes a contrasting a-level subject is a good way to show your diverse way of working, especially an essay-type subject such as History or English. Good luck on your studies!
    AT first I thought Maths but I don't enjoy and might not get the best grades, then I thought about Psychology but I just need a subject I can do without affecting the three sciences. The sciences got A/A*s in them but I don't know the difficulty in them.

ReputationRep:
    AT first I thought Maths but I don't enjoy and might not get the best grades, then I thought about Psychology but I just need a subject I can do without affecting the three sciences. The sciences got A/A*s in them but I don't know the difficulty in them.
    In A-Level I heard there is a lot of Maths involved, especially in Physics so people taking Maths would be at an advantage but it doesn't mean that you can't put in the extra work to learn

If you want to do Psychology, do psychology! I would look at university entry requirements too, just to play around with you subject choices to make them suited to you and your career path. There should be a list somewhere on TSR

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Thank you very much
    Of course, just avoid places like Birmingham that require a large number of A*'s at GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Thank you very much
    I'd avoid:

Oxbridge, B'ham, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Belfast, Kings plus a few others, research every med schools selection proceedure (not just minimum requirements).

Where you apply will depend partly on your UKCAT- i.e. if you have a high UKCAT it'd be worth applying to places like Newcastle, Durham, Exeter, Glasgow where UKCAT is a very important (if not the only) criterion for interview and academics are irrelevant past minimum requirements (not that yours are bad btw, critical thinking really isnt that important and you fit the criteria of B that many med schools set as 4th AS requirements.

ReputationRep:
    No, pick an A Level subject. It doesn't have to be science or maths, just something you enjoy and will do well at.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.