Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I will be travelling from B'ham to Oxford each dat, and I'm well aware that the journey is somewhere along the lines of an hour and 30 minutes, and many of you would think it's wise to consider accommodation, but I'm really want to avoid this at all costs for personal reasons.
    So my question is, is there any way to do this via train affordably
    ?
    It's like £4,000 for an annual train pass, and quite frankly that is a little on the expensive side.
    Also, has anyone ever commuted long distances to uni, if so how did you survive the cost for train fare etc?
    Thsnks, any help is incredibly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Is this University of Oxford or Oxford Brookes?

If it's the former, bear in mind that the rules require you to live in Oxford (unless you get special permission to do otherwise).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reneetaylor)
    I will be travelling from B'ham to Oxford each dat, and I'm well aware that the journey is somewhere along the lines of an hour and 30 minutes, and many of you would think it's wise to consider accommodation, but I'm really want to avoid this at all costs for personal reasons.
    ?
    It's like £4,000 for an annual train pass, and quite frankly that is a little on the expensive side.
    Also, has anyone ever commuted long distances to uni, if so how did you survive the cost for train fare etc?
    for £4000 to could get a place in halls or a house share near by

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else have information on this?? Thanks :-)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else have information on this?? Thanks :-)
    As a previous reply asked, Oxford or Oxford Brookes? If Oxford then you don't really have a choice.

ReputationRep:
    ?
    You should be able to cut the cost of that substantially.

There is very little saving on an annual season ticket compared with shorter ones.

You will only be there for 30 weeks of the year (assuming Brookes) and some of these will be short weeks etc. The daily advance purchase cost with a railcard is about £32 (morning peak/evening off peak). A 7 day season is £116.80 from New Street. 30 x 116.80=£3504 but any week you are in fewer than 4 days, you will be cheaper with advance purchase tickets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    You should be able to cut the cost of that substantially.

There is very little saving on an annual season ticket compared with shorter ones.

You will only be there for 30 weeks of the year (assuming Brookes) and some of these will be short weeks etc. The daily advance purchase cost with a railcard is about £32 (morning peak/evening off peak). A 7 day season is £116.80 from New Street. 30 x 116.80=£3504 but any week you are in fewer than 4 days, you will be cheaper with advance purchase tickets
    Ah, this sounds slightly more feasible, thanks!
    I'll consider this further.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I know you said you want to avoid accomadation at all costs, but I honestly think a 1 1/2 hour commute is just not realistic to keep up, especially on the days when you're only in uni for 1 or 2 hours. I'm sure you have thought it all through, but as some advice- if you ever have something esential to be in uni for, allow at least 30 mins for delays. Have a plan B, for exam days at least, just in case your usual form of transport isn't running (e.g. due to a strike). Try to schedule any group work/tutor meetings on days when you're already coming in for lectures etc. Also try to get some work done in the library if you're only in for an hour or so. Try to be productive on your commute too.

I assume you've thought about how you will manage socially and decided that it's of lesser importance to you? I know that the idea of going to university is to get a degree, but realistically, you will miss out on social events living that far away.

ReputationRep:
    Also bear in mind that Brookes is a good distance from Oxford train station - your commute is getting into the two hour region

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.