Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going back to college in September after taking a year out for personal reasons, in which I took a level law at home. After results day, I've decided I want to do a levels rather than a btec, as I know I can do it, but I don't really know what to take...

I was thinking maths, chemistry and history but don't know how the workload will be and how hard they are as subjects...
    Help?!

Also I don't know what careers I could go into from doing these a levels.

ReputationRep:
    Do A-Levels you enjoy that is the most important reason because if you don't enjoy them then you will not spend as much time revising them!

I have just done History Edexcel (Early Mordern

I got a B overall
    Paper 1 D 56UMS
    Paper 2 A 96UMS

I do not know about Maths or Chemistry but I have heard they are hard subjects

Good Luck!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Those subjects leave a lot open to you:

Maths - Accounting, Acturial Work, Engineering, Statistician, Banking and Finance, Economics, Research, Teaching etc.

Chemistry - Chemical Engineering, Health, Research, Analysis, Pharmacy etc.

History - Lawyer, Historian, Librarian, Archeologist, Anything to do with analyzing and scrutinizing.

In terms of workload if you have done an A level by yourself at home you are more than equipped to do three in a centre with daily tuition

Chemistry is just remembering facts and applying them in the exams. Maths is a bit more thought provoking in the exams, you will learn skills and have to use them in different ways, potentially ways that have not been asked of in previous exam papers, so be prepared for that

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry was really tough! The jump from GCSE was huge - especially when they tell you that everything you've previously learnt about chemistry is bull****! Lol.

But if you enjoy it, definitely do it. Do the subjects you like and are comfortable with. I wish I had done that because then I wouldn't have chosen chemistry...!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I think I'll enjoy maths and history but I'm worried about chemistry, especially when I have to take 5 weeks off college in October, so if I'm not enjoying it its going to be really hard to keep up with any other subject suggestions which still leave my career options open?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tasha44709)
    Hmm, I think I'll enjoy maths and history but I'm worried about chemistry, especially when I have to take 5 weeks off college in October, so if I'm not enjoying it its going to be really hard to keep up with any other subject suggestions which still leave my career options open?
    In that case if advise against chemistry - it is pretty brutal.
    How about business studies or economics? Or geography?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :confused: I don't know about geography I've never taken it before, any ideas what it's like?
    Definitely not a business person though

ReputationRep:
    :confused: I don't know about geography I've never taken it before, any ideas what it's like?
    Definitely not a business person though
    Geography is very straightforward. Usually a combo of Human & Physical Geography.

I did Psychology & loved it. Maybe that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any idea of what degree/career you want to go into afterwards?
    Chemistry was a huge jump up from GCSE to A level - I wouldn't advise taking it unless you really love it and did well at GCSE.
    Have you considered Biology? I found it a bit easier than Chemistry, it requires more memorising things but a bit less complex thinking... You could also look into Business Studies, Geography, Environmental Science, Economics, English Lang/Lit, etc. depending on what really interests you

ReputationRep:
    I will look at geography, psychology interests me but I've heard it's a lot of remembering? And quite hard.
    And no I don't I'm pretty stuck on what to do,
    I like chemistry and I am good at it, but I don't think I'll like it that much but if I choose to do a degree in science I'll need it :/
    I looked at biology but a lot of the topics don't interest me

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry - I have just completed AQA A2 (A*) and it is a very taxing A-level. It requires both memory and understanding. I would only advise taking it for A-level if you did well at GCSE. GCSE Chemistry is very tame by comparison. The grade boundaries are also quite brutal and is basically a subject, as one of my friends joked, that you take only if: i) you have to, ii) you love the subject or iii) you are mad.

It is however a very well respected A-level and opens many, many doors. Just make sure that you work hard from day one and PAST PAPERS.

History - I only took AQA AS for History (A). It is a jump from GCSE but it is not, in my opinion, hugely taxing. Once one understands the layout and structure of the ideal essay it is fairly easy. Just remembering a lot of dates and figures, then regurgitating them in the desired format.

Again just make sure that you nail the technique and work hard.

As for Maths I did not take it post-GCSE but my friends said it is quite difficult.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.