Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do cyclists have to follow the speed limit? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Not motoring obviously but to do with road laws so posting it here.

I ask because there's a big hill out in Kent somewhere that I wanted to try doing a 50 mph run down. Problem is the limit on that stretch of road is 40 mph. Do I have to listen to that?

Inb4 dangerous clown. Yes yes I know stupid jackass style stunt that might get me killed.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure speed limits only apply to "motor vehicles", or something along those lines. There are dangerous cycling laws, no idea what they actually are though. I heard you can be charged with "Furious Cycling" :lol:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maccees)
    Pretty sure speed limits only apply to "motor vehicles", or something along those lines. There are dangerous cycling laws, no idea what they actually are though. I heard you can be charged with "Furious Cycling" :lol:.
    woohoo!

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult to enforce, once I cycled faster than the speed limit and actually overtook one of the cars (at 35 ish mph downhill), they weren't too happy but that was about it :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ripper-Roo)
    It's difficult to enforce, once I cycled faster than the speed limit and actually overtook one of the cars (at 35 ish mph downhill), they weren't too happy but that was about it :laugh:
    Lol Iv'e done this a couple times. The problem is that you eventually run out of steam/the hill ends meaning that you get overtaken back by the motorist 5 seconds later making you look a little silly.

I did my research and the answer is no, cyclists do not have to follow the speed limit. The cycling furiously charge is also a myth, it's driving furiously and it only applies if you actually injure someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peter12345)
    I did my research and the answer is no, cyclists do not have to follow the speed limit. The cycling furiously charge is also a myth, it's driving furiously and it only applies if you actually injure someone.
    'Causing bodily harm by wanton or furious cycling' is an offence, punishable by up to 2 years imprisonment.

There is no legal requirement for bicycles to be fitted with a speedometer, so you cannot be done for speeding on a bike. Even if the police were to pull you over and you have a cycle computer verifying your speed, who's to say it's actually calibrated correctly.

So no, speeding on a bike is not an offence, but should you injure someone in doing so, you can be charged and its likely that excess speed will be found as a contributing factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JO53PHS)
    'Causing bodily harm by wanton or furious cycling' is an offence, punishable by up to 2 years imprisonment.

There is no legal requirement for bicycles to be fitted with a speedometer, so you cannot be done for speeding on a bike. Even if the police were to pull you over and you have a cycle computer verifying your speed, who's to say it's actually calibrated correctly.

So no, speeding on a bike is not an offence, but should you injure someone in doing so, you can be charged and its likely that excess speed will be found as a contributing factor.
    There's some hill in London called Highgate hill. The limit's 20 mph but I did 45 mph down it once. Are you telling me that was totally legal? Cycling is awesome!

ReputationRep:
    There's some hill in London called Highgate hill. The limit's 20 mph but I did 45 mph down it once. Are you telling me that was totally legal? Cycling is awesome!
    I imagine its theoretically legal until you hit something/someone. On the other hand, a police officer could give you a fixed penalty notice if they deem it to be dangerous enough. I doubt you'd get away with saying you didn't realise your speed. 45 feels very fast compared to 20 and you have traffic as a reference.

However, I would like to warn you not to do this in a built-up area as there are far too many hazards. I've done 49 mph in a 30 zone in the middle of nowhere on a wide, smooth and empty road with good visibility. Your braking distance at those speeds is about twice as far as you think - road bike brakes aren't known for being good even at low speeds. I'm sorry but 45 in a 20 zone is just stupid. Pedestrians won't be expecting a bike moving at that speed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JumpingFrog)
    I imagine its theoretically legal until you hit something/someone. On the other hand, Ia police officer could give you a fixed penalty notice if they deem it to be dangerous enough. I doubt you'd get away with saying you didn't realise your speed. 45 feels very fast compared to 20 and you have traffic as a reference.

However, I would like to warn you not to do this in a built-up area as there are far too many hazards. I've done 49 mph in a 30 zone in the middle of nowhere on a wide, smooth and empty road with good visibility. Your braking distance at those speeds is about twice as far as you think - road bike brakes aren't known for being good even at low speeds. I'm sorry but 20 in a 45 zone is asking for trouble. Pedestrians won't be expecting a bike moving at that speed.
    Yeah I know that was crazy, I'd never do that again. Cars and junctions everywhere. But I am down for doing it on a country lane or something.

Nah police wouldn't do anything, a policeman on foot wouldn't bother because I would have zoomed past too fast and a policeman in a car probably has bigger fish to fry. Maybe if I overtook one they would but if they were coming the other way I doubt they would notice/care.

ReputationRep:
    Traffic laws apply to everyone using the road.

It's great watching cyclists who skip through red lights in London getting pulled over by the fuzz and given fixed penalty notices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Traffic laws apply to everyone using the road.

It's great watching cyclists who skip through red lights in London getting pulled over by the fuzz and given fixed penalty notices.
    We have already ascertained that speed limits do not apply to cyclists.

ReputationRep:
    We have already ascertained that speed limits do not apply to cyclists.
    Disagree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Disagree.
    I can't be bothered to dig up the links again but I assure you that after extensive online research there is no requirement for cyclists to follow the speed limit. The two reasons are 1) only motor vehicles were ever included in the original introduction of the speed limit because that is what the public feared at the time. This was never updated and 2) cyclists are not required to have a speedometer and even if they do there is no regulation on their correct calibration meaning that a cyclist legally has no way of knowing his true speed. If someone doesn't know their speed they can't be booked for speeding. Just accept it, we can go as fast as we want and no-one can stop us so long as we don't run anyone over unlike cars who have to trundle along at draconian state sanctioned speed limits lest they be banned from driving. Cycling 1 driving 0.

ReputationRep:
    Try it down Bournemouth promenade or through a royal park and you'll get a ticket.
    Either way, most people have got a pretty low opinion of cyclists. If one shoots past at 35mph in a 20 zone you're just going to think "lycra clad ********" as you would normally...

ReputationRep:
    My friend got stopped when he was on his road bike for breaking the speed limit, but he said the police just found it funny and told him not to do it again

ReputationRep:
    There are certain areas such as parks and walkways where there are specific speed limits for bicycles.

ReputationRep:
    I can't be bothered to dig up the links again but I assure you that after extensive online research there is no requirement for cyclists to follow the speed limit. The two reasons are 1) only motor vehicles were ever included in the original introduction of the speed limit because that is what the public feared at the time. This was never updated and 2) cyclists are not required to have a speedometer and even if they do there is no regulation on their correct calibration meaning that a cyclist legally has no way of knowing his true speed. If someone doesn't know their speed they can't be booked for speeding. Just accept it, we can go as fast as we want and no-one can stop us so long as we don't run anyone over unlike cars who have to trundle along at draconian state sanctioned speed limits lest they be banned from driving. Cycling 1 driving 0.
    Number 2 is pretty dire reasoning - my tractor doesn't have a speedo but a speed limit of 20mph still applies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Try it down Bournemouth promenade or through a royal park and you'll get a ticket.
    Either way, most people have got a pretty low opinion of cyclists. If one shoots past at 35mph in a 20 zone you're just going to think "lycra clad ********" as you would normally...
    (Original post by Maccees)
    There are certain areas such as parks and walkways where there are specific speed limits for bicycles.
    Most roads are not in parks. That is a minor unimportant technicality. Furthermore only major parks are monitored for speeders. I've done 33mph in my local park that has a 12 mph limit, in fact in 7 years I've never done less than 20 mph through that park and no-one has ever stopped me.

Well you can call me a "lycra clad ********" but you can't do much else except stay mad

(Original post by CurlyBen)
    Number 2 is pretty dire reasoning - my tractor doesn't have a speedo but a speed limit of 20mph still applies!
    Because it meets criteria 1) it's a motor vehicle. That's the main reason, the no speedo thing is just a side reason. A bicycle can't go much above 20 mph whereas a motorized tractor can. it is not reasonable to expect a cyclist to be able to tell the difference between 20 and 30 mph but a tractor can do like 60 + mph so it's relevant in that case.

ReputationRep:
    Most roads are not in parks. That is a minor unimportant technicality. Furthermore only major parks are monitored for speeders. I've done 33mph in my local park that has a 12 mph limit, in fact in 7 years I've never done less than 20 mph through that park and no-one has ever stopped me.

Well you can call me a "lycra clad ********" but you can't do much else except stay mad
    I was saying it in answer to a few posts above me, chill.

ReputationRep:
    I've done 33mph in my local park that has a 12 mph limit, in fact in 7 years I've never done less than 20 mph through that park and no-one has ever stopped me.
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I know someone who was hit by a cyclist who was selfishly riding along the pavement. She died on the way to hospital in the back of the ambulance. So forgive me if I don't share your "cyclists can behave like cupid stunts" attitude.

If you manage to hit a kid when you speed through your local park as you have quite publically admitted that you do on a frequent basis, I'm sure they will throw the book at you.
    Speed limits are there for a reason.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.