Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I can't be a doctor, so what could I do instead? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I've wanted to be a doctor for a while, but it's looking very unlikely that I'l achieve the GCSE grades (I'm predicted a C in maths and 4 A+ grades, while most med schools want 6+). A C in maths would also mean that I would be hard pushed to get onto the chemistry A-level course at my college, and I imagine it would be even tougher to do well in it!

However, I imagine I can't be the first person who's fallen short of their ambition to be a doctor, so I was wondering what career paths you guys chose, especially if you were once in a similar circumstance to me. I'd love to peruse a job in academics, but I recognise my ambition might be greater than my actual ability

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you want to work in a medical profession, you could always try nursing, paramedic, midwifery, radiography, physiotherapy, psychotherapy. speech therapy, other types of therapists, pharmacy. Depending on the university there is different grade requirements.

Nursing is a good option - there's so many different avenues to go down. You can work within adult nursing, or work with children. There's also mental health nursing, sexual health, neonatal, school nurses, theatre nurses, etc. Whilst you aren't a doctor you are still working closely with patients.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be a doctor, work hard and you can get there. You could look abroad- Look into Europe. The entry requirements are not that high and tuition fees are considerably lower than here.

ReputationRep:
    You can always resit GCSES and make sure you work extra hard for your A-Levels. If you really want it I'm sure you can do it!

ReputationRep:
    For a start, if you are weak in Maths that will limit what you can study in all sorts of ways. Maybe you could get extra tuition and sort out your problems.

Anyway, many people have no idea what career they will follow until they are well into their degree course, while lots of good jobs recruit graduates in any discipline. So focus on what you are good at and enjoy, and develop a track record of real success in something. The subject matters far less than the grades and the enthusiasm you can display for it.

Don't forget that graduate entry is available for training in medicine and dentistry, so in the long run all is not lost.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think you're good enough to get in a decent biology/biological science degree? Does you family have lots of $$? Do you really want to be a doctor?

If the answer is yes to all 3 questions, you may consider doing a biological science/biology related degree and then try again for medicine. I have a friend who's doing that right now.

ReputationRep:
    Some medical schools don't look too closely at gcses, so if you could pull your grades up at AS level, you could have a chance of getting into medicine if you really want to do medicine its worth a shot.
    If not, you could go with nursing or radiography, something like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.