Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So i've been away a week now, had the MSI CX61 (http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/MSI_C...l_1389669.html) 2 weeks and I'm just going to write down my experience using it so far and the pros and cons, becuase it is a laptop been suggested quite a lot here.

I've had quite a lot of trouble with it, 2 days after taking it out the box, the track pad has just broken, it is definitely a hardware problem, probably a loose connection somewhere, and it is slightly intermittent. I couldn't return it or get it sorted because of going away, so I've had to settle with just carrying a mouse around with it all the time, or using key commands. I may have been unlucky with this, but it really is crap to have no touch pad on a laptop.

The case overall doesn't feel very sturdy, the optical drive isn't set in place, so when you pick it up there it moves about sightly, and when running a disk creates a much louder noise than it should.

In terms of performance It does play games and things well, I haven't really maxed the processor on usage, and the graphics card allows you to play games on high mostly, but the hard drive is a large bottle neck, under load its usage is nearly always maxed. The heat from the graphics card isn't too bad, but the hard drive gets very hot.

The anti glare screen and keyboard are the best parts of this laptop, they are very nice to use.

The battery life isn't that good, I get about 2 and a half hours with all power saving modes on, which is fair enough for a high spec laptop,

So what I'd say for this laptop is, if you are buying something that is going to be stationary/used on a desk most of the time, it should be fine and just hope you don't have any hardware problems.

Anything else then I'd steer clear (it also has some very odd pieces of plastic that stick out underneath and dig into your leg while on your knee).

If I had to choice of going back, then I think I would definitely get this one instead http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/ran...liten1535.html

There is very little in terms of processing and graphics power, the Hybrid SHHD with help a lot, and the battery saving technology in the haswell series doesn't improve things that much, either way you are going to have bad battery and it has much better reviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supertoaster)
    So i've been away a week now, had the MSI CX61 (http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/MSI_C...l_1389669.html) 2 weeks and I'm just going to write down my experience using it so far and the pros and cons, becuase it is a laptop been suggested quite a lot here.

I've had quite a lot of trouble with it, 2 days after taking it out the box, the track pad has just broken, it is definitely a hardware problem, probably a loose connection somewhere, and it is slightly intermittent. I couldn't return it or get it sorted because of going away, so I've had to settle with just carrying a mouse around with it all the time, or using key commands. I may have been unlucky with this, but it really is crap to have no touch pad on a laptop.

The case overall doesn't feel very sturdy, the optical drive isn't set in place, so when you pick it up there it moves about sightly, and when running a disk creates a much louder noise than it should.

In terms of performance It does play games and things well, I haven't really maxed the processor on usage, and the graphics card allows you to play games on high mostly, but the hard drive is a large bottle neck, under load its usage is nearly always maxed. The heat from the graphics card isn't too bad, but the hard drive gets very hot.

The anti glare screen and keyboard are the best parts of this laptop, they are very nice to use.

The battery life isn't that good, I get about 2 and a half hours with all power saving modes on, which is fair enough for a high spec laptop,

So what I'd say for this laptop is, if you are buying something that is going to be stationary/used on a desk most of the time, it should be fine and just hope you don't have any hardware problems.

Anything else then I'd steer clear (it also has some very odd pieces of plastic that stick out underneath and dig into your leg while on your knee).

If I had to choice of going back, then I think I would definitely get this one instead http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/ran...liten1535.html

There is very little in terms of processing and graphics power, the Hybrid SHHD with help a lot, and the battery saving technology in the haswell series doesn't improve things that much, either way you are going to have bad battery and it has much better reviews.
    Definitely sort out the trackpad as soon as you can, get a replacement or refund asap.
    Harddrive getting that hot and being that loud, doesn't seem right at all...........I think it may have had a knock to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Definitely sort out the trackpad as soon as you can, get a replacement or refund asap.
    Harddrive getting that hot and being that loud, doesn't seem right at all...........I think it may have had a knock to it.
    Like I said, I have gone away so I not able to send it back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supertoaster)
    Like I said, I have gone away so I not able to send it back
    I could swear was a law for goods sent over long distances?
    But do also get the warranty done to be fair

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.