Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is going to seem like such a mundane problem in the grand scheme of life, but I need somewhere to vent....

I have a black labrador who is 4, had her since a puppy. Everyday she is walked at 6.30am (before I go to uni/work) for around 30 mins and again every evening for around 30 mins at 9pm. As well as this she sometimes gets a long afternoon walk if we go out for a family day at the weekends (eg the woods etc) then she comes too. Also on weekdays she comes out with me around 2pm before I do the school run. She is a treasure.

Yesterday my neighbours (girl age 23 and man age 34) started shouting at me and accused my husband and I of never ever walking our dog (along with extra verbal abuse). We live in a really nice area so this is very unusual for anything like this to happen to us. I was so surprised at the time that I didn't really say anything as i didn't want to have an know I do so I know they are wrong, but for some reason this has really upset me! Just because they are not awake at that time in the morning, in the afternoon they're both working and they don't see me in the evening, doesn't mean they are right and should accuse me of something so untrue and call me some mean names - especially as there are some neighbours who actually NEVER do walk their dog! Why would they do something like this? They said they will call the RSPCA and I'm not worried about that as I have dog walking friends who I see daily who will confirm she does go out, but their behaviour is nasty and I am finding it difficult to come to terms with why they verbally bullied me in front of my daughter, who is also upset (maybe that is what upsets me the most). Does anyone have any advise on whether I ought to say something to them or just ignore them and can anyone shed any light on why they would do something like this as I really didn't deserve or appreciate being called a "cruel ******* b****" in front of my child for no reason!

ReputationRep:
    Just ignore it... you know the dog gets walked so there isn't a problem. It's not up to them when you, and how often you, walk your dog.

ReputationRep:
    If it bothers you a lot, and who wouldn't it bother if they swore at you in front of your child, I'd suggest clearing up matters with them just so you don't have this worrying you. Maybe not in person as they don't sound like the type of people to sit down and have tea and civilised conversation but pop a note in their letterbox, just a short one, explaining you do walk your dog, thank you very much, and that you didn't like how they talked to you.

Of course, if that would just inflame the situation, don't do it but that's for you to judge. Some people are just terrible and, if they fall into this category (rather than people concerned about an animal's welfare, albeit expressing it in a bad way), just avoid them.

ReputationRep:
    Well, they sound like they're not going to be reasoned with. If you can just avoid getting into confrontation that would be the best option but if not then perhaps investing in a little camera (like the ones cyclists use for evidence) would be a good idea as, if things ever get that far you can take the evidence to the police and get restraining orders/charges for abuse etc.. brought against them. Perhaps talking to your other dog walking friends about the situation would also be a good idea - perhaps they've had some abuse too?

ReputationRep:
    Ignore them. If they continue to verbally abuse you, I would recommend you speak to the police. My mum got a hoard of abuse from our neighbour (she came running out when she saw my mum going to work and got far too close for comfort) when some of the leaves we'd trimmed from the hedge blew into her garden and my mum was so shocked she was like 'I ain't gonna stand for this' and called the police. The police confirmed it was literally 3-4 leaves :rolleyes:

Also, what the hell has it got to do with your neighbours when you walk your own dog? It probably looks like we never walk ours because he goes in the car every day, twice a day, to the beach or woods.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your replies, I think I just needed some reassurance, but you're right - I will ignore them. It is none of their business anyway like you've all pointed out. Just annoying that they seem to think they are so blinking perfect! But all of you, thank you

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, people don't just start shouting abuse at others in public. I'd imagine that'd be a mental health/alcohol/etc problem that would result in behaviour like that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.