The Student Room Group

Resit Modules or Whole Year?

Maths - U Geography - C ICT - D Hey guys I'm just looking for some opinions on what to do for the next school year. My results were obviously lower than I hoped. For Geography I got a B in the first paper and a C in the second paper. In ICT I got a D in the test and a C in the coursework. For my C2 maths I only got 4 marks, the night before I hit a low and was close to ending my own life, didn't get any sleep and walked into the test looking like a zombie. I came out last summer and at the start of the year I realised that I lost all my friends meaning that I was alone for the whole year, spending lunch time by myself being the 'loner' and a laughing stock. This meant I slipped into a deep depression and didn't give everything my full effort. I know I am more than capable of getting the top mark in my exams. Believe it or not I enjoy maths, it's just one of those subjects that if you begin to fall behind even slightly you will struggle to pull up in. In geography I was getting all A grades in class tests and past papers. In ICT I was always one of the strongest but this year we had a new teacher who openly admitted he didn't know how to use the software so we were left in limbo. By the time we started the theory the other ICT class had all coursework handed in and theory completed and were hammering their way though past papers. That left us with about 4 weeks to learn all the theory with a teacher that had to Google topics and couldn't work out a check digit with a calculator. The class in general did poorly and so did his computing class. Towards the end of the year I somehow managed to get awarded Deputy Head Boy for 2013-14 and it was a smack in the face to my foes. Towards the end of the year my depression got worse and I spent most of my time in bed, in darkness. Over the summer I have recovered an I'm back to my usual self. Now I have got my grades I see how things really did effect me. I'm angry because I feel like a let my teachers down. The question is should I repeat the year or repeat my modules in January, thankfully CCEA still have January modules for those who started AS in 2012. I'm thinking I could repeat the C2 and M1 maths, Unit 2 Geography and the ICT exam. I know I could do it if I really put my mind to it. I really don't want to have to repeat the year as I would lose my position as Deputy Head and generally feel ashamed to be repeating the year. Maths is the main one I'm worried about. I do enjoy it... when it goes to plan and it's not that I can't do it, I just couldn't put enough effort into it. Should I repeat the whole year or should I resit modules in January? Sorry about the rant :colondollar:
Original post by ThatDude007
Maths - U Geography - C ICT - D Hey guys I'm just looking for some opinions on what to do for the next school year. My results were obviously lower than I hoped. For Geography I got a B in the first paper and a C in the second paper. In ICT I got a D in the test and a C in the coursework. For my C2 maths I only got 4 marks, the night before I hit a low and was close to ending my own life, didn't get any sleep and walked into the test looking like a zombie. I came out last summer and at the start of the year I realised that I lost all my friends meaning that I was alone for the whole year, spending lunch time by myself being the 'loner' and a laughing stock. This meant I slipped into a deep depression and didn't give everything my full effort. I know I am more than capable of getting the top mark in my exams. Believe it or not I enjoy maths, it's just one of those subjects that if you begin to fall behind even slightly you will struggle to pull up in. In geography I was getting all A grades in class tests and past papers. In ICT I was always one of the strongest but this year we had a new teacher who openly admitted he didn't know how to use the software so we were left in limbo. By the time we started the theory the other ICT class had all coursework handed in and theory completed and were hammering their way though past papers. That left us with about 4 weeks to learn all the theory with a teacher that had to Google topics and couldn't work out a check digit with a calculator. The class in general did poorly and so did his computing class. Towards the end of the year I somehow managed to get awarded Deputy Head Boy for 2013-14 and it was a smack in the face to my foes. Towards the end of the year my depression got worse and I spent most of my time in bed, in darkness. Over the summer I have recovered an I'm back to my usual self. Now I have got my grades I see how things really did effect me. I'm angry because I feel like a let my teachers down. The question is should I repeat the year or repeat my modules in January, thankfully CCEA still have January modules for those who started AS in 2012. I'm thinking I could repeat the C2 and M1 maths, Unit 2 Geography and the ICT exam. I know I could do it if I really put my mind to it. I really don't want to have to repeat the year as I would lose my position as Deputy Head and generally feel ashamed to be repeating the year. Maths is the main one I'm worried about. I do enjoy it... when it goes to plan and it's not that I can't do it, I just couldn't put enough effort into it. Should I repeat the whole year or should I resit modules in January? Sorry about the rant :colondollar:

Hey there and welcome to TSR! No need to apologise for any rants, ranting is good to get things off our mind :smile:

It sounds like you've had a very tough year, and it sounds that you may be you're getting past it which i'm glad to here. Remember if you ever need to talk to someone there may be counselors in your area, and there are charities such as Samaritans that you can call (confidential) 24/7, and you can even email and text them. I know you said you are feeling better, but I want you to know people are there to listen if you ever need to talk.

Okay, so from what I understand you didn't get the grades you wanted due to all of the trouble of the past year with how you were feeling and the way your friends treated you, which made it worse and you're looking for options about where to go from here. So these are just my thoughts of possibilities which ill suggest below.

One idea may be to look for an alternative sixth form or college. I know this may sound drastic, but it's just food for thought because it may give you a complete fresh start. New teachers and new people may be beneficial for you, or they may not but it's an idea. This may be a better idea if you were going to resit the whole year and totally start over, because then you can make new friends and spend the two years with them. I know school is starting up soon, so you may have to be quick on the mark with this, doing some research and call them and even email and really push for it (if you want this).

You could stay at your current school and do resits. It may be an idea to start up a study timetable and revise for these modules along with studying for your other modules immediately. I think time will need to be put it because it would be very risky not to get on top of it straight away due to the amount of work needed to be put in.

You could re do the year at your current school, but not giving up the deputy head is important to you, so it's really about what you want more, and neither is wrong here, it's just about what you want, so be honest with yourself about what you want.

Remember life isn't a race and there's no rush to complete things in a set time because society tells you you should be doing it, all those people at uni in their 40s and all those 30 somethings doing their A levels will tell you its a loads of crap.

I hope to see you posting around some more :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest