Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,
    i am a 17 year old male and I weigh approximately 70kg and i go to the gym 4 times a week however I wanted to increase my muscle in a faster manner so ive decided to buy some impact whey protein from myprotein.

Ive never used protein before so if any advice could be given on how much i should use per day and when i should use it would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icefire72)
    Hi All,
    i am a 17 year old male and I weigh approximately 70kg and i go to the gym 4 times a week however I wanted to increase my muscle in a faster manner so ive decided to buy some impact whey protein from myprotein.

Ive never used protein before so if any advice could be given on how much i should use per day and when i should use it would be much appreciated
    What?

ReputationRep:
    I think he means artificial protein. ( or protein supplements)

ReputationRep:
    All whey protein is, is a convenient way to get protein into your diet without having to grill a chicken breast or open a can of tuna.
    Most scoops will be around 25-40 grams from what I've seen, I have one a day, I wouldn't advice more than two unless you really for some reason don't eat protein throughout the day (in which case, you should)
    Whey is fast absorbing so most people have it just before a workout or just after, personally I take it after.

ReputationRep:
    Do regular exercise plus maintain a healthy diet plan.This will surely works...
    Thanks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icefire72)
    Hi All,

Aim for you goal weight (in lbs) in grams of protein. If you can't get this from food, use supplements to make it up. It won't make you gain weight any faster, especially if your diet is crap.

ReputationRep:
    Aim for at least your weight in lb's in grams of protein.

Download Myfitnesspal for either Android or Apple. Fill in your measurements and it will tell you what targets you need to meet.

Scan the food you eat into the app and do this for all your food. That's the only way you can judge how much more you need to eat.

ReputationRep:
    I also use many different products from myprotein including the whey powder. Only use your whey protein in a shake after a workout the added benefit of the protein powder is that it is absorbed into your body alot faster than for example eating some chicken. I normally go for a double scoop of protein with about 400ml of milk.

Remember to gain size you need to consume more calories than what your body needs.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    So much bro science.

Whey protein isn't any more special (on a general term) than tuna or chicken. What I'm saying is they all contain protein and they will all reach your goal IF you get the same amount of protein as that's the only reason you have any of them (For their protein contents).

Now to fix the bro science...
    -There is no added benefit in using whey protein(than getting your protein any other way).
    -There isn't any difference in taking a protein shake (Or any product - That is nutritional i.e carbohydrates, protein...) at any time of the day. So you don't need to slurp down a protein shake just before or after your workout.
    -There isn't a magical "anabolic" window, just before or after your work out.
    -No brand or price tag doesn't matter.

Too tired to remember what else (if anything) was in this thread. *yawn*

Oh and one last thing...
    To build muscle you need to be in a caloric surplus (Consuming more calories than what you are burning throughout the day).
    It's not possible to gain muscle while in a caloric deficit (Consuming less calories than what you're burning throughout the day) UNLESS you are very new to lifting and/or taking hormones/drugs (i.e steroids).

And while we're on this subject, let it be said that no special diet is going to make you lose weight, only a caloric deficit will make you lose weight.
    (Same for gaining weight.)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i eat a tub with a milk form a cow that is fresh and warm.

El oh El

Read the guide on the tub, I've used the the protien you bought, it was decent but fkn expensive so wouldnt recommend it for the price vs benefits unless yours parents buy it for ya.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 13, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.