Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im just deciding on what student bank account to open, and was wondering whether the free year rail card offered by santander would come in handy in Plymouth??

I come from around london, and from what ive seen it will be cheaper to get to and from home via coach, so the railcard wont be used for that so much.

However, i was wondering if trains are something many students use when staying in plymouth? Like to get to any beaches or Dartmoor or any other places students visit?

ReputationRep:
    Railcard would be useful you can get a direct train from paddington station (i think, i get it from reading) straight to plymouth. If you book it enough in advance, with the railcard itll cost 40 pounds for a return

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest Halifax; been with them since I was 18. Reliable, cheap and if you even touch an overdraft they dont charge you the earth.
    Hope it helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely get the railcard. You save whenever you use it - it doesn't matter how much. You might make friends (or a partner) at uni who live far away and want to visit them in the hols. On a £50+ ticket you could regularly be saving £15+.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.G.M)
    Im just deciding on what student bank account to open, and was wondering whether the free year rail card offered by santander would come in handy in Plymouth??

I come from around london, and from what ive seen it will be cheaper to get to and from home via coach, so the railcard wont be used for that so much.

However, i was wondering if trains are something many students use when staying in plymouth? Like to get to any beaches or Dartmoor or any other places students visit?
    I would recommend getting a railcard to travel to and from Plymouth, but as someone who lives 15-20 minutes from Plymouth, I can tell you that there's one station near the centre, but you probably wouldn't really be using it in/around there, because you can't really get near many places on the train, unless you want to go to towns (Totnes, etc.) and stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I live in Kent and would definitely recommend getting one, it's a life saver. A last minute ticket home when your rail card runs out is not fun!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Plymouth University resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.