Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it safe to use a debit card with paypal and buy stuff online? I'm looking at a couple of books on eBay and apparently you have to use Paypal now, so is it all safe to use a debit card with Paypal?
    I looked online and most say it's perfectly safe, but I've heard you can't get your money back if the item is dodgy like you can with a credit card.

Reassure me? It's only books and weight plates I'm looking at, so I'm not overly worried about it being damaged in the post.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    Is it safe to use a debit card with paypal and buy stuff online? I'm looking at a couple of books on eBay and apparently you have to use Paypal now, so is it all safe to use a debit card with Paypal?
    I looked online and most say it's perfectly safe, but I've heard you can't get your money back if the item is dodgy like you can with a credit card.

Reassure me? It's only books and weight plates I'm looking at, so I'm not overly worried about it being damaged in the post.
    It should be fine to use a debit card with PayPal. Debit cards don't have the same arrangement as with credit cards, where the credit card provider has "joint and several" liability with the merchant for any problems from the transaction, but that's the case whether you use them via PayPal or directly. It's also notable that if you use a credit card with PayPal, there's actually a technicality that can mean that the joint liability point is negated anyway.

ReputationRep:

I use my debit card and bank account with PayPal. If you set up a PayPal account you get Buyer Protection. This means that if the item is not as described, or you don't receive it etc, that you can file a claim to be issued a refund. PayPal are pretty fair in terms of their cases. So if you don't receive an item, and the seller cannot prove they posted it, you'll be refunded etc.

ReputationRep:
    NEVER EVER use a debit card on line.
    Only ever use a credit card.
    If the worst happens and you use a debit card your account will be empty and you will have the hassle of pursuing it with the bank, many of whom are now refusing to refund despite their own regulations.
    If you use a credit card on the other hand and there is fraud you can simply refuse to pay the debt and inform the credit card company that it is their problem and still have a bank account with money in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    It should be fine to use a debit card with PayPal. Debit cards don't have the same arrangement as with credit cards, where the credit card provider has "joint and several" liability with the merchant for any problems from the transaction, but that's the case whether you use them via PayPal or directly. It's also notable that if you use a credit card with PayPal, there's actually a technicality that can mean that the joint liability point is negated anyway.
    Joint and several liability only applies with amounts between £100 and £10,000, not for transactions smaller or greater.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balotelli12)
    NEVER EVER use a debit card on line.
    Only ever use a credit card.
    If the worst happens and you use a debit card your account will be empty and you will have the hassle of pursuing it with the bank, many of whom are now refusing to refund despite their own regulations.
    If you use a credit card on the other hand and there is fraud you can simply refuse to pay the debt and inform the credit card company that it is their problem and still have a bank account with money in it.
    Paypal is very safe, use my card all the time. You can add additional security check onto your paypal account, it basically sends a text message with a code to your phone, that code is required everytime to log into your paypal account.

ReputationRep:
    If you think paypal is safe you are unbelievably naïve. Do a bit of research on its business practices.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Joint and several liability only applies with amounts between £100 and £10,000, not for transactions smaller or greater.
    Yes, good point. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you think paypal is safe you are unbelievably naïve. Do a bit of research on its business practices.
    Don't ebay make everyone use it now though?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Don't ebay make everyone use it now though?
    They do :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    They do :sadnod:
    I would have thought it was pretty safe then?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought it was pretty safe then?
    In most cases, using PayPal to pay for a purchase is absolutely fine; it's just that there's the occasional situation where things go wrong in one way or another.

ReputationRep:
    In most cases, using PayPal to pay for a purchase is absolutely fine; it's just that there's the occasional situation where things go wrong in one way or another.
    I suppose I should go for it then, nobody can live in fear of what could happen. So long as they are isolated incidents and all that. I've found some top rated sellers with either 100 percent or around 90 percent good feedback.

Cheers mate

ReputationRep:
    Does your debit card work as credit too? I use Paypal for a lot of things, largely because I feel more secure using it online than I do typing in my card number over and over. Make sure you have a hard password to crack and change it frequently just to be safe.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.