Do people think you're cleverer than you actually are? Watch

This discussion is closed.
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
My friends at school always used to say I was "very intelligent but stupid as hell."

Ditto! Everyone where I used to work was totally shocked when I told them I was going to Cambridge. There was one bloke (who had just graduated) who used to actully call me stupid and laugh at me; I was SO smug when I told him . People tend to think I'm stupid because I bumble around and bump into things and generally am very clumsy, but don't really care what people think about it so carry on regardless.

I also used to get frustrated having to "relate" to people (that sounds SO bad!) I'm quite happy to talk when I have something to say and then sit quietly with someone without feelign awkward - but a lot of people seem to have to chatter away constantly and expect the same from me.

I don't lack common sense, but people tend to think I'm gullible (although I like to think that I just expect better from people than to lie as a form of "joking").
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by _GáMMá_)
maybe they are dumber than you (no offense), so they think that you are smart because you are just smarter than them...

And i know that you know how to spell stupid because you said it yourself that you don't know how to spell stupid properly, meaning that you know that you're spelling it wrong, so the correction would be obvious...( i hope this makes sense)
could be... but then some of the people who say it are really clever, so that theory falls down

(and yeh I get what you mean)

I'm also accident prone - it's an ongoing joke with friends and family with me and drinks
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
The problem with me is not that people overestimate my intelligence (in my view it's hard to do that ) but they initially try to link my intelligence to my personality. What I mean is, if on first impression I appear clever, they'll take me to be a boffin or geek etc., but if their first impression is that I'm just a decent guy they'll be shocked to discover my intelligence.
Yeah - I know what you mean. In school, I was generally perceived as "the clever one" which meant I was automatically a boffin or whatever. However, my piano teacher, who didn't know about me in the classroom, just knew me as a niceish girl who's a reasonable piano player, didn't discover for years that I was as intelligent as I was, and was really surprised when he found out!

(Original post by blissy)
I don't lack common sense, but people tend to think I'm gullible (although I like to think that I just expect better from people than to lie as a form of "joking").
Yep, I'm the same. Two of my friends once told me that one of them (who had a bf) had pulled the other's bf's twin brother; initially I didn't believe them, but they were swearing blind it was true, so I finally sort of did. Then a couple of weeks later I mentioned it in all innocence and they totally cracked up. I was kinda furious - they'd spent an hour lying to me, and then laugh at me for believing them!

I am gullible though, and like you say, I'm clumsy and don't always know the best way to act around people. Sometimes I say or do things that aren't particularly bright, which is why they say I'm stupid.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I am probably cleverer than I think I am. Everybody thinks I am quite clever and my nickname with my mates it he mad professor.

I guess I must be fairly clever as I got 65% average for last semester which is just 4% of a first.
I think youre giving yourself way too much credit mate.
me!
Rep:
?
what is intelligence? how well you do in tests? how much "stuff" you know? anyone can be "book clever", can't they? How quickly things click into place?
_GáMMá_
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by HasanB)
this has got nothin to do with this thread but .... silent p, what happened to that weird ass cult u were abt to start some while ago
Then why didn't you just pm that to silent p???
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by me!)
I'm actually kind of stupid but people seem to think I'm clever...

This sounds like a dumb thing to say but it's true, and even more stupidly on my part it annoys me, people expect stuff that's not true, but then I guess many people are expected to be stuff they're not...
my sister is really clever and my teachers expect me to be the same
me!
Rep:
?
(Original post by eric bischoff)
my sister is really clever and my teachers expect me to be the same
awww I'm sure you're cleverer than you give yourself credit for - intelligence and modesty :cool:
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
Ditto! Everyone where I used to work was totally shocked when I told them I was going to Cambridge. There was one bloke (who had just graduated) who used to actully call me stupid and laugh at me; I was SO smug when I told him . People tend to think I'm stupid because I bumble around and bump into things and generally am very clumsy, but don't really care what people think about it so carry on regardless.
Haha. This sounds so much like me. Every shop job I've ever had I've been labelled the dumb one. All of last summer I got mildly patronised by a guy who attended the local poly.

Ah well...
zazy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Got 104 on ur test..
somehow i don't think IQ is related to being clever as such!!
I know loads of clever ppl with an extremely low IQ..
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Im alot smarted than my teachers think I am at least, they always predict me to do worse than I actually do...
TK
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yes i got predicted 3 As lol
roseonthegrave
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Im alot smarted than my teachers think I am at least, they always predict me to do worse than I actually do...
It's an old one. They normally do that to avoid looking stupid if you get lower than your target grade.
greenrevolt
Report 15 years ago
I guess it all depends. At school people expect me to get the best grades and be the personification of perfection;p when in fact I am really lazy and sometimes I just dont get the best grades and then the person who gets the best grade puts a really huge grin and may tell me: oh my god i cant believe I did better than you.. :confused:
On the other hand, people that dont know me from me school are actually quite surprised when they discover that I dont use just one body part (LOL) but also my brain from time to time
I think that a lot of people feel that they just can't rise to the expectations of family, school and community- and that definitely includes me. Everyone thinks u get those As so easy bcos u r clever but in fact it's a lot of hard work, and honestly I dont think I'm very clever either-grades are not the complete and utmost indication of intelligence and neither are those IQ tests
me!
Rep:
?
(Original post by greenrevolt)
I guess it all depends. At school people expect me to get the best grades and be the personification of perfection;p when in fact I am really lazy and sometimes I just dont get the best grades and then the person who gets the best grade puts a really huge grin and may tell me: oh my god i cant believe I did better than you.. :confused:
On the other hand, people that dont know me from me school are actually quite surprised when they discover that I dont use just one body part (LOL) but also my brain from time to time
I think that a lot of people feel that they just can't rise to the expectations of family, school and community- and that definitely includes me. Everyone thinks u get those As so easy bcos u r clever but in fact it's a lot of hard work, and honestly I dont think I'm very clever either-grades are not the complete and utmost indication of intelligence and neither are those IQ tests
thats me too! although when I do work (usually the night before) I put quite a bit of effort into it, other times I can't be bothered. People do the whole 'wow i did better than you' thing to me as well...
_meiko_
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
people often take me for stupid and then they are amazed how unestimated can one be, its funny to show them that you are not but sometimes it really hurts my feelings when they take me for an idiot
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
Haha. This sounds so much like me. Every shop job I've ever had I've been labelled the dumb one. All of last summer I got mildly patronised by a guy who attended the local poly.

Ah well...
Yeah, when I was working in student services at an FE college last year, I used to get loads of (for example) hairdressing students treating me like I was the thickest creature on earth. There were times I felt like screaming at them and telling them they were wrong, but I was restrained
DazYa
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Yeah, when I was working in student services at an FE college last year, I used to get loads of (for example) hairdressing students treating me like I was the thickest creature on earth. There were times I felt like screaming at them and telling them they were wrong, but I was restrained
you do make some absolutely hideous comments at times but i do respect the fact that you got into oxbridge
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by DazYa13)
you do make some absolutely hideous comments at times but i do respect the fact that you got into oxbridge
Which ones are the hideous ones? That one? Sorry, but I really grew to hate that job!
DazYa
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
its just at times, doesn't matter though....
when i was in year 7, i went to colchester royal grammar school for 2 weeks then dropped out, i kept in contact with a friend who is still at the school.

he told me that about 30 people from there got rejected from oxbridge, and CRGS had top a level results June 2003
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (199)
12.7%
Excited (136)
8.68%
Worried (287)
18.32%
Terrified (355)
22.65%
Meh (136)
8.68%
Confused (35)
2.23%