Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Disk Space running out of space for no reason? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am backing up my files on DVD-RW Discs. Each disc can hold up to 4.7GB of data. I transferred 1.74GB of files to it and ejected the disk. Once I put it in again I found out I had only 10MB left. But I had only used about half of the space so I don't understand how it only has that little space left.

Any ideas what to do and what could be causing the problem? As I said, I only transferred 1.74GB of data to a DVD-RW that could hold 4.7GB. But now I only have 10MB of storage left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MusicMeister)
    I am backing up my files on DVD-RW Discs. Each disc can hold up to 4.7GB of data. I transferred 1.74GB of files to it and ejected the disk. Once I put it in again I found out I had only 10MB left. But I had only used about half of the space so I don't understand how it only has that little space left.

Any ideas what to do and what could be causing the problem? As I said, I only transferred 1.74GB of data to a DVD-RW that could hold 4.7GB. But now I only have 10MB of storage left.
    Not trying to be funny but why the hell are you backing up your files on Discs? An external hard drive or cloud based solution would be much easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dathtom)
    Not trying to be funny but why the hell are you backing up your files on Discs? An external hard drive or cloud based solution would be much easier.
    Ah the only reason I'm backing it up to Discs is because I actually have files I want to backup on my external hard drive But I think I'm using DVD-R's instead of DVD-RW, so you can re-write the DVD instead of it being finalized where you can't add anything to it again. Should I do something else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MusicMeister)
    Ah the only reason I'm backing it up to Discs is because I actually have files I want to backup on my external hard drive But I think I'm using DVD-R's instead of DVD-RW, so you can re-write the DVD instead of it being finalized where you can't add anything to it again. Should I do something else?
    1) DVD-R's are not rewritable, DVD-RW are.

2) Discs are small in capacity, a pain to burn and not exactly durable. One scratch can render them useless.

3) I'd just use an external hard drive or a cloud backup solution. I personally use Livedrive backup (or KNOWHOW Cloud sold in CurrysPCWorld) and it's great. I get 500gb of cloud storage which will automatically back up files to the internet, which means you can never lose them, and you can access them from anywhere like another computer or a Phone or Tablet. £30 for one year. Offer on in store for 5 years for £60. PM me if your interested.

God, I feel like I'm at work :P. But seriously, no salesmen bullcrap, cloud backup is actually really good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.