Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,
    In trying to allocate bedrooms in a 5-bed shared house, we decided to get everyone to state their top 2 preferences

the rooms up for grabs are:
    attic room
    1st floor small room
    1st floor big room
    ground floor living room
    ground floor big room

Preferences were given as
    STUDENT A
    1st - ground floor neat room
    2nd - 1st floor small room
    STUDENT B
    1st - attic room
    2nd - any on 1st floor
    STUDENTS C AND D:
    1st - 1st floor small room
    2nd - attic room
    STUDENT E
    1st - attic room

I'm student C, and what I haven't mentioned to my housemates is that I have a very very strong preference for the 1st floor room for private reasons
    student E mentioned that she would prefer a room not on the ground floor because she has medical placements and is worried about noise
    could anyone FOR THE LOVE OF GOD please help us think of a fair way of allocating rooms using this info, i'm freaking out because i have the same preferences as D and really don't want to be on the ground floor but in particular don't want her to be the one in the room (again for the same private reasons)

should also mention that i wouldn't mind getting the other room on the 1st floor (kicking myself for not mentioning it in my preferences)

thaaaaankyou

ReputationRep:
    also sorry if this is in the wrong forum etc, i wasn't 100% sure

ReputationRep:
    -Get as many bits of paper as there are roommates
    -Write one name on each bit
    -Scrunch them up
    -Put them in hat
    -Pull them out one by one
    -When someone's name is chosen, they get to pick the room they want

Everyone has an equal chance, it is totally random and unbiased. No drama will ensue!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theths)
    Hello all,
    In trying to allocate bedrooms in a 5-bed shared house, we decided to get everyone to state their top 2 preferences

attic room
    1st floor small room
    1st floor big room
    ground floor living room
    ground floor big room

STUDENT A
    STUDENT B
    1st - attic room
    2nd - any on 1st floor
    STUDENTS C AND D:
    2nd - attic room
    STUDENT E
    1st - attic room

I'm student C, and what I haven't mentioned to my housemates is that I have a very very strong preference for the 1st floor room for private reasons
    student E mentioned that she would prefer a room not on the ground floor because she has medical placements and is worried about noise
    could anyone FOR THE LOVE OF GOD please help us think of a fair way of allocating rooms using this info, i'm freaking out because i have the same preferences as D and really don't want to be on the ground floor but in particular don't want her to be the one in the room (again for the same private reasons)

should also mention that i wouldn't mind getting the other room on the 1st floor (kicking myself for not mentioning it in my preferences)

thaaaaankyou

Right. Put E in the attic room, because she's doing medicine (I assume) and it's a blimming hard degree and I'm assuming she likes her sleep? Which out of the rest of you sleeps like the living dead - i.e someone could be clattering and banging about in the kitchen and they wouldnt even notice? Put A on the ground floor, in the small room (if that's what they've asked for). Put B in the ground floor big room - doesnt get the floor they want, but does get the bigger bedroom. Put C first floor small room, then D goes into the big room.

Happy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theths)
    Hello all,

attic room
    1st floor small room
    1st floor big room
    ground floor living room
    ground floor big room

STUDENT A
    STUDENT B
    1st - attic room
    2nd - any on 1st floor
    STUDENTS C AND D:
    2nd - attic room
    STUDENT E
    1st - attic room

thaaaaankyou
    Well there is no fair way based on those preferences. I'd just say Student A can have ground floor neat room (is that the big room or living room?), Student E can have the Attic Room, Student C and D get the 1st floor rooms and Student B gets a ground floor room.

Or ask everyone to give a third preference and that should help you, assuming you don't all put 1st floor big room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happydude)
    -Get as many bits of paper as there are roommates
    -Write one name on each bit
    -Scrunch them up
    -Put them in hat
    -Pull them out one by one
    -When someone's name is chosen, they get to pick the room they want

Everyone has an equal chance, it is totally random and unbiased. No drama will ensue!
    Definitely the best way.
    You can't just say "for private reasons" and expect people to just give you your first choice.

ReputationRep:
    A - ground floor neat
    B - 1st small
    C - 1st big
    D - ground big
    E - attic

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.