Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I have just completed my undergraduate degree and I want to peruse in the pgce (primary) postgraduate course. I was recently told by my local student service that the primary course is free within Wales, although, after researching I found that it is not. As a result, can anyone give me any finical tips or information on how you applied for any finical help?

Many thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Moved this to Education

ReputationRep:
    You are entitled to the tuition fee loan and maintenance loan from student finance for your PGCE year. You may also be entitled to a bursary depending on your degree classification.
    Take a look at: http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into...aduate-funding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mini-Cooper)
    You are entitled to the tuition fee loan and maintenance loan from student finance for your PGCE year. You may also be entitled to a bursary depending on your degree classification.
    Take a look at: http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into...aduate-funding

Thank you moving this to the right section!

Also, Thanks Mini cooper for your reply.

I want to do my PGCE within 3/4 years time (when my daughter is in full-time education). I have had a quick browse of the link you sent me and I have noticed there doesn't say a time limited on it. Do you happen to know if I will still get funding within 3/4 years time? again, I ring my local authority and they said I might have to go to central online for funding? (not sure what this means)....When i asked the person to explain they said to call back when i have applied for my PGCE lol......very confused!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucii_x)
    Do you happen to know if I will still get funding within 3/4 years time?
    No one knows what will happen in a few years time for teacher training.
    The loans have been available for a long time but the bursaries keep changing. So the loan situation will probably be the same but the bursaries will probably be different.

As it changes so much no one will be able to give you a definite answer about what will be available then..

ReputationRep:
    At the moment tuition fee loans, maintenance loans & grants are arranged through Student Finance for whichever country you are in (i.e. England, Wales, Scotland etc). The bursary is arranged and paid by whichever University or Institution you end up in, so your LEA will probably not be of much help. The "Get into Teaching" site already recommended above is the best place to look as this gets updated with all the relevant information as soon as it becomes available. Unfortunately, the only thing consistent about education at the moment appears to be change - especially with Mr Gove and his meddling! - so I can only reiterate what has already been said by Mini-Cooper.

Best of luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.