Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Wondering if anyone here is starting Multimedia and Internet Technology in September?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kamil95)
    Hi,

Wondering if anyone here is starting Multimedia and Internet Technology in September?
    I will be! My Track has not been updated yet but I was told by Lee over the phone that I defiantly have a place.

ReputationRep:
    Nice

I got my place on UCAS on the results day, plus an email off Lee, so I'm happy since. What accommodation did you go for? :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm at iQ what about you? :]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kamil95)
    Hi,

Hi Kamil,
    have you already started the degree or do you begin in September 2014? I was confused due to the time stamp on this post.

Also, if anyone is currently doing Multimedia and Internet Technology at Salford, how are you finding it?

I got an unconditional offer and I've confirmed my place

Thanks,
    Zach

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations. I have started this course in September 2013, just finished the first semester and sat my first exams.

It's a relatively simple course, based mostly around IT (C# Programming, Databases, Web Design, Networking and Computing) with aspects of media in the spec (video production in first year, and Digital Audio Production in second year). Some of my pals are struggling though, but I believe this is because they're mature students and didn't touch IT in detail before. Although it may sound pretentious, I came with some Database and Web Design freelancer background, which helps. It's great though because the difficulty is balanced, and no one throws you into complicated maths that Computer Science students do. And it's great because there's something for everyone. There might be the odd module you hate, for instance there's this module called Professional Practices & Development which is just all about computer laws, and how to be a professional in the industry. Yawn. But then, you get to do other great things :P

The degree therefore combines IT well with Media, but if you're more a Media type, I'd keep looking for something else. I do moan a bit about the fact, that there isn't enough media in this course. If you have a conditional offer and still want to change to a more Media orientated course, research a degree you like and just talk to someone at Salford, they will help you change it. If you're an IT guy though, or you just want to learn about it, go for it. I wish it focused more around Media, but instead Media is just an addition on this course, so when you graduate, you'll get more out of it. I haven't been there yet obviously, but we're all told that this degree is fantastic for employment opportunities when you graduate, and it's easy to see why, considering it combines IT and Media. Lecturers are great, always ready to answer questions, delivering content with experience and humour. There's never a dull moment with Wilfred Darlington in Video Production.

The practicals are varied, interesting and fun. For instance, during the reading week we had a Project Manager from EE delivering a lecture, talking about how he managed the 4G project. And we got to work at Studio A at MediaCityUK. We had about 4-5 sessions there over the semester, and we filmed a news segment at the end of it. Great fun.

And apart from the course, Salford is a brilliant uni student-wise. Have you been to one of the open days? It's a great eye opener.

I hope this helps. Good luck with getting the grades you want
    Kamil

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the detailed response, Kamil, it has proven really useful. I am somewhat IT "savvy" to the point where I know about current and emerging technologies but I am not a chap who can create something amazing purely from scratch, such as a complex program etc. Yes, I can program, but I am not as efficient in some languages than I am in others. I understand this is opinion based, but I am taking on this degree as I want to expand my knowledge in the world of the Internet and hopefully work in the Digital Space but not directly Web Developing as such. I'm more the guy who's interested in SEO and marketing or management of websites or content...
    This may sound silly me taking a web development based degree but I want it to provide me with a good base to hopefully go onto further study or a job somewhat relative to the degree.

I personally do not believe that a degree you study directly dictates what you do as a career etc. I have seen many people move into the areas I am interested in with no actual studies in that field, so I guess it's an interest/experience thing sometimes.

Let me know what you think

ReputationRep:
    Also, what did your exam and assessments consist of? Was it very theoretical and did it look at the fundamentals of things or just a general summary of the modules?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't sound silly at all, because there won't be probably any degree on the globe focusing just on SEO. Like I said, although I didn't understand at first, but I do now having done it for a semester, and with the lecturers telling you how it works, the variety of content served in this module will allow you to branch off into any career you want. The industry is looking for IT employees everywhere. You also have the benefit of finding a job in the media sector if you wanted to, because of the content this degree delivers. People usually head for Computer Science degrees, but the truth is, chances finding a job as a programmer in the IT industry are slim. You'll find far more jobs as a web developer, database administrator or... SEO

Although you may want to look at Salford's business courses for that matter too, you may find MIT is brilliant, but many times it was emphasized on the open day that "students first go for an IT course, and then realize that Business school is across the road". It is about being creative, but not to an extent of making a website for the BBC. In programming for example, they just ask for you to code a simple picture viewer software. You'll be taught how to do it of course, but many hours of the learning come in as independent learning. Most of the coding is given to you anyway, on paper.

So I did wonder, where does my 9 grand I pay for come in. You can pass the exams and assignments without too much effort, but it's up to you to learn it and take it further, if you want to find a job. No one will do it outside of uni for you. The beauty of this degree is that you don't have to be "a chap who can create something amazing purely from scratch".

In regards to the exams, it's theory based mostly, but don't stress about it, after all first year is only about getting the 40%. For example, our database exam was a two-hour paper consisting of three questions. You were given basically a database, but on paper, instead of a computer, and you had to write SQL queries, translate theoretical models into practice, and vice-versa etc. It looked at both fundamentals and the more complex things of databases, such as relational algebra. It's hardly a general summary though, they can ask anything from the spec. Find the motivation to revise all of the content, and you'll do well.

Edit:// Actually, Professional Practices & Development might be a module you'll like. It's been made to prepare you for going into the industry; knowing your rights as a professional (Computer Misuse Acts, EU directives), how to manage your projects professionally, securing your websites from lawsuits, Social Media etiquettes etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help, Kamil! I think this is the right degree for me, I do love business and I do follow a lot of it in the technology world, but I think some of the modules in that may bore the hell out of me So, this seems more catered for my interests.

ReputationRep:
    Glad I've helped, good luck!

PM me if you need anything in future

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.