Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Remark? Helppp Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I got into my firm but i was one mark away from a B overall in Business Studies. I want to get my paper remarked because in that paper, i was one mark of an A and that one mark would of got me a B overall in this subject. (I hope that makes sense)

I have emailed the individual who deals with the exams at my Sixth Form, and explained the situation but i am not hopeful that they will call me back and i don't know how else to contact the school if it's shut.

What shall i do? Shall i wait until Monday and be hoping that they read their emails? Do i contact AQA? I understand there's a certain deadline and could someone tell me when this deadline is please. Also, it wasn't until i got home, and realised i was one mark from the B grade. By the time i went back, the Sixth Form was closed.

Thanks!

PS- I know i got into my firm, but as i am doing Law, A Levels are just as important, hence why i am desperate for this remark. Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indyy)
    I got into my firm but i was one mark away from a B overall in Business Studies. I want to get my paper remarked because in that paper, i was one mark of an A and that one mark would of got me a B overall in this subject. (I hope that makes sense)

I have emailed the individual who deals with the exams at my Sixth Form, and explained the situation but i am not hopeful that they will call me back and i don't know how else to contact the school if it's shut.

What shall i do? Shall i wait until Monday and be hoping that they read their emails? Do i contact AQA? I understand there's a certain deadline and could someone tell me when this deadline is please. Also, it wasn't until i got home, and realised i was one mark from the B grade. By the time i went back, the Sixth Form was closed.

Thanks!

PS- I know i got into my firm, but as i am doing Law, A Levels are just as important, hence why i am desperate for this remark. Thanks again!
    Firstly, the person you need to speak to is the exams officer. Secondly, since your place isn't dependent on the outcome, you aren't in a desperate rush, and the deadline for requests is around 20th September. Thirdly, you cannot contact the exam board directly yourself, it has to come through school. Fourthly, be aware that the scripts nearest the boundaries are the ones most scrutinised by the examiners and it will have already been seen by two, and therefore unlikely to change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Firstly, the person you need to speak to is the exams officer. Secondly, since your place isn't dependent on the outcome, you aren't in a desperate rush, and the deadline for requests is around 20th September. Thirdly, you cannot contact the exam board directly yourself, it has to come through school. Fourthly, be aware that the scripts nearest the boundaries are the ones most scrutinised by the examiners and it will have already been seen by two, and therefore unlikely to change.
    Thanks for replying.

The exams officer in my school, correct? Also i just checked on the AQA website and it says: ''The deadline for this service is Friday 23 August 2013, however, to make the UCAS deadline of Saturday 31 August, we recommend that you submit your request by Friday 16 August. If you have a place pending, please do not ask for a copy of the script first as you will miss the priority re-mark deadline.'' -- Im just a little confused.

(Sorry if i sound like i know nothing!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indyy)
    Thanks for replying.

The exams officer in my school, correct? Also i just checked on the AQA website and it says: ''The deadline for this service is Friday 23 August 2013, however, to make the UCAS deadline of Saturday 31 August, we recommend that you submit your request by Friday 16 August. If you have a place pending, please do not ask for a copy of the script first as you will miss the priority re-mark deadline.'' -- Im just a little confused.

(Sorry if i sound like i know nothing!)
    That is for a priority remark, which is for people who need it back by 31st August to secure their place. You aren't in that position, so you can afford to go for the slower, cheaper option. See your exams officer at school.

ReputationRep:
    That is for a priority remark, which is for people who need it back by 31st August to secure their place. You aren't in that position, so you can afford to go for the slower, cheaper option. See your exams officer at school.
    Thank you very much for replying and clearing that up!

ReputationRep:
    Fourthly, be aware that the scripts nearest the boundaries are the ones most scrutinised by the examiners and it will have already been seen by two, and therefore unlikely to change.
    Is this right? I can understand it would be the case in a one module exam but if there is more than one module it would mean comparing all sorts of permutations e.g. the B/C overall grade boundary scripts could include person X who got a low A and low C, person Y who got two low Bs and person Z who got two high Cs. So you would need lots of checking of people with different standards on different papers which I doubt would be economic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by questingvole)
    Is this right? I can understand it would be the case in a one module exam but if there is more than one module it would mean comparing all sorts of permutations e.g. the B/C overall grade boundary scripts could include person X who got a low A and low C, person Y who got two low Bs and person Z who got two high Cs. So you would need lots of checking of people with different standards on different papers which I doubt would be economic.
    I'm talking about a module which is close to the boundary. Not all modules in an exam are marked by the same examiner. An examiner will mark just one module for a whole centre, or usually several centres, not a candidate's entire set of exams. An examiner's scripts will be looked at by a senior examiner for that module and those close to the borders are checked closely. There's no scrutiny of a candidate's total, overall grade. That would be impossible, but remarks are done on a module by module basis.

Love your user name, btw.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.