Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about doing one of these two as a degree and was wondering which one would be better? Which one would give me more career options and pay well? Any help and information would be appreciated, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    My GCSE maths teacher had a chemical engineering degree and he said he hated it, it was just plumbing.

I think it depends on what you enjoy. I was told by the chemistry man at Manchester Uni that you don't even need chemistry to study Chem Eng, it is much more maths and physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJG21)
    My GCSE maths teacher had a chemical engineering degree and he said he hated it, it was just plumbing.

I think it depends on what you enjoy. I was told by the chemistry man at Manchester Uni that you don't even need chemistry to study Chem Eng, it is much more maths and physics.
    Thank you for you're reply and you are right it depends on what I enjoy doing. I do enjoy Chemistry more than Maths and Physics. I'm just unsure which one would be better for career oppurtunities and pay wise. But thank you for your reply I appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous_person)
    Thank you for you're reply and you are right it depends on what I enjoy doing. I do enjoy Chemistry more than Maths and Physics. I'm just unsure which one would be better for career oppurtunities and pay wise. But thank you for your reply I appreciate it.
    Pay wise and in terms of employability and breadth of job opportunities, it's definitely chemical engineering. Only 60% go into chemical engineering, the rest mostly go to banking, buisiness and finance. It's arguably the most attractive all-round degree and chemical engineering itself is a huge field and you can go into anything from oil & gas to pharmaceuticals. Average starting salary is roughly £27,500. £53,000 on average and £63,000 if you're chartered.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...raduates-earn/

Unfortunately it's much harder than chemistry as well and the content of the material isn't as interesting, but in all honesty you'd be much too focused on doing well to care how interesting it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous_person)
    Chemical Engineering will likely give better prospects, but if you enjoy Chemistry more, then you are probably better doing that. You don't want to end up doing something you don't enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4RealBlud)
    Pay wise and in terms of employability and breadth of job opportunities, it's definitely chemical engineering. Only 60% go into chemical engineering, the rest mostly go to banking, buisiness and finance. It's arguably the most attractive all-round degree and chemical engineering itself is a huge field and you can go into anything from oil & gas to pharmaceuticals. Average starting salary is roughly £27,500. £53,000 on average and £63,000 if you're chartered.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...raduates-earn/
    And chemists earn bugger all :P ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJG21)
    Chemical Engineering will likely give better prospects, but if you enjoy Chemistry more, then you are probably better doing that. You don't want to end up doing something you do enjoy.
    Yh dude, it sucks to be studying something you actually enjoy. I mean, where's the challenge in that right? :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4RealBlud)
    Yh dude, it sucks to be studying something you actually enjoy. I mean, where's the challenge in that right? :laugh:
    Hmm... I do believe that is a spelling error.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your advice, it's much appreciated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.