The Student Room Group

Have pretty bad AS grades - how do i make up for it?

Hi guys,
Just need abit of advice.

These were my AS grades:
OCR biology - D
OCR religious studies - C
Edexcel English Lit - D

Is it realistic for me to think that I may possibly be able to bring up my overall A level grade and achieve BBB without re-sitting any AS modules? Or do I have to re-sit AS modules in order to achieve these grades? If I have to re-sit a few AS modules, how will I be able to revise for them AND all my A2 modules?? :confused::frown:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It depends where you are in those grades. If they are high Ds, then possibly, but it may be worth re-sitting a couple of modules if you want BBB.
Reply 2
It depends where you are in those grades. If they are high Ds, then possibly, but it may be worth re-sitting a couple of modules if you want BBB

For biology it was right in the middle of the C-D boundary. For religious studies it was the higher end of a C and for english lit it was the higher end of a D :confused:
Original post by stressed.human
For biology it was right in the middle of the C-D boundary. For religious studies it was the higher end of a C and for english lit it was the higher end of a D :confused:

Hey I'm facing the same situation as yours, I had my result this 15th and it turned out to be B/C in Biology. I'm thinking of retaking some units. I would also recommend u the same :smile:
Retaking should be a necessary option to apply for a good university. :smile: Somewhat same here. But I'm confused as to which units are sensible to take as time span for preps are less..
Original post by Eva I. Chrisela
Retaking should be a necessary option to apply for a good university. :smile: Somewhat same here. But I'm confused as to which units are sensible to take as time span for preps are less..

U should be working more hard now! Well I can suggest but first u have to tell me how many subjects u gave & in how many units u r not happy with your marks? :smile:
Reply 6
I'm thinking of retaking some units. I would also recommend u the same

Hi, was just wondering how you're planning on fitting in the revision for your AS resits and your A2 modules?:/ would you be able to give me an example of what your revision schedule will be like?:smile:
Hi guys,

These were my AS grades:
OCR biology - D
Edexcel English Lit - D

Is it realistic for me to think that I may possibly be able to bring up my overall A level grade and achieve BBB without re-sitting any AS modules? Or do I have to re-sit AS modules in order to achieve these grades? If I have to re-sit a few AS modules, how will I be able to revise for them AND all my A2 modules?? :confused::frown:

I got DEEE at AS last year and I've just finished with BCC so it's definitely doable! I recommend resitting the D's because although it's a lot of work, if you work hard it's worthwhile and I managed to bring up my results massively by resitting. Good luck!
Reply 8
Personally I would re-sit all of them. You will have to enter your As grades into UCAS and you will want to ensure that they look as good as possible. You may want to revise a little harder too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
* I did and it worked very well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hi guys,

These were my AS grades:
OCR biology - D
Edexcel English Lit - D

How many UMS did you get overall in each subject? For a B grade at A level you need 70% which is either (420/600) or (280/400) If we presume the worst case and you JUST got a C/D at AS.

Then if they are all out of 600:

Biology/English Lit AS (150/300) Therefore you need (270/300) at A2 to get a B in Biology/English Lit A-level

RS AS (180/300) Therefore you need (240/300) at A2 to get a B in RS A-level

If they are all out of 400 (or if some are):

Biology/English Lit AS (100/200) Therefore you need (180/200) at A2 to get a B in Biology/English Lit A-Level

RS AS (120/200) Therefore you need (160/200) at A2 to get a B in RS A-Level

So it is POSSIBLE, however it will require a lot of hard work and you need to be scoring constant As at A2, if you think you can do it, go for it you won't have to retake any modules and you'll get BBB if it all goes well.

However, if you don't think you could get those UMS scores for A2, retake some modules at AS that were especially bad, this will bump up your UMS score and make it easier for you at A2 to get that B.

Hope this helps!
Original post by Nora R. Chloe
U should be working more hard now! Well I can suggest but first u have to tell me how many subjects u gave & in how many units u r not happy with your marks? :smile:

I AM going to work harder now! I gave four subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths. I think I am going to give all Science repeat exams as I need to achieve grades good enough to give A2 as well. What about you? How many subjects did you give and which units you're not happy with your marks? :smile:
Original post by Eva I. Chrisela
I AM going to work harder now! I gave four subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths. I think I am going to give all Science repeat exams as I need to achieve grades good enough to give A2 as well. What about you? How many subjects did you give and which units you're not happy with your marks? :smile:

Okay great! If u repeat, make sure u know all the stuffs u could be asked for. A good & traditional way of doing this is by practicing past papers. My advice is don't try to repeat all your exams in a go, first start with your weaker units then try to finish all your units in 2 consecutive sittings.
About me- Well, I had 3 subjects in my AS. I performed averagely in all of my exams and ended up with BBC, though I's predicted ABA. My Biology unit-2 exam was good enough this time but I got a C on that, so I'll repeat that next year. I'm thinking of repeating Unit-1 of Bio & Phys.
Hope this helps!

Wow thankyou so much! All those numbers confused me a little tho :colondollar:
These were my grades:
OCR biology: Grade D - Mark: 165/300
OCR religious studies: Grade C - Mark: 130/200
Edexcel english literature: Grade D - Mark: 113/200

Whats the chances of getting a B in each of them overall, after A2? :/
Reply 14
Wow thankyou so much! All those numbers confused me a little tho :colondollar:
These were my grades:
OCR biology: Grade D - Mark: 165/300
OCR religious studies: Grade C - Mark: 130/200
Edexcel english literature: Grade D - Mark: 113/200

Whats the chances of getting a B in each of them overall, after A2? :/

No problem! Sorry it might've seen confusing but I didn't know anything about your a levels so I just did all possibilities XD. I'll do it properly now though:

For Biology, you need 70% UMS overall to get a B, Biology A-level is out of 600 UMS, so for a B, you need 420/600 UMS in your A-level. As you have 165 UMS, (420-165) is the amount of UMS you need at A2 to get a B, so you need 255/300 UMS at A2, so it is POSSIBLE, but it will be hard, you'll be needing to put a lot of effort into it.

For Religious studies and english literature, you also need 70% overall to get a B, but these a-levels are out of 400 UMS, so for a B you need 280/400 UMS, for RS (280-130) UMS is needed at A2, which is 150/200 at A2, so it is also possible, but also a lot of work. Also for english literature you need (280-113) which is 167/200 UMS at A2 for a B at English Lit A-level.

What I'm trying to say is that it IS possible, but it will be a lot of work if you don't want to resit any AS modules, as AS modules are deemed easier I would say you should resit some of them to make it easier for you at A2. If you keep a plan for when you start revising and make a list of what you should be doing each day for the time you start revising, you should be able to get through it :smile:

Good luck!
No problem! Sorry it might've seen confusing but I didn't know anything about your a levels so I just did all possibilities XD. I'll do it properly now though:

For Biology, you need 70% UMS overall to get a B, Biology A-level is out of 600 UMS, so for a B, you need 420/600 UMS in your A-level. As you have 165 UMS, (420-165) is the amount of UMS you need at A2 to get a B, so you need 255/300 UMS at A2, so it is POSSIBLE, but it will be hard, you'll be needing to put a lot of effort into it.

For Religious studies and english literature, you also need 70% overall to get a B, but these a-levels are out of 400 UMS, so for a B you need 280/400 UMS, for RS (280-130) UMS is needed at A2, which is 150/200 at A2, so it is also possible, but also a lot of work. Also for english literature you need (280-113) which is 167/200 UMS at A2 for a B at English Lit A-level.

What I'm trying to say is that it IS possible, but it will be a lot of work if you don't want to resit any AS modules, as AS modules are deemed easier I would say you should resit some of them to make it easier for you at A2. If you keep a plan for when you start revising and make a list of what you should be doing each day for the time you start revising, you should be able to get through it

Good luck!

Wow thank you so much for your time&for making things alot clearer for me:smile: goodluck to you too xx
Reply 16
Good work experience Nd. Personal statement. Also might consider ressiting those As modules as you are unlikely to get above 90% in your A2 modules to pull up your D in As to a B in your A-levels.
Reply 17
Wow thank you so much for your time&for making things alot clearer for me:smile: goodluck to you too xx

Thanks and no problem :smile: Need to occupy my mind on something in the summer holidays aha, if you need any more help don't feel shy to ask! Thanks, hope we both do well :smile:
Original post by Nora R. Chloe
Okay great! If u repeat, make sure u know all the stuffs u could be asked for. A good & traditional way of doing this is by practicing past papers. My advice is don't try to repeat all your exams in a go, first start with your weaker units then try to finish all your units in 2 consecutive sittings.
About me- Well, I had 3 subjects in my AS. I performed averagely in all of my exams and ended up with BBC, though I's predicted ABA. My Biology unit-2 exam was good enough this time but I got a C on that, so I'll repeat that next year. I'm thinking of repeating Unit-1 of Bio & Phys.

Yeah. Thanks. But I think it's wise to give all the repeats at once. Reasons:1)It'll get the pressure off the other harder units you wish to give. 2)You'll forget some basic points if you want to give the repeat units later.
3)Revision within this time is much easier. Well good luck to you on that. :smile: What about unit 4? Are you planning to give that? My advice would be to give it in the next seating as you're taking too much pressure this seating.
I would highly recommend doing some resits, but yes, you can get to BBB. What are your grades like - was there one module that pulled them down, or were all the modules at a similar level?

Quick Reply

Latest