Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So yeah, my ex girlfriend and I were talking on facebook, I invited her over to me to have a cig and drink and talk like we usually do, she said no, which is perfectly fine and she scheduled for another date. That's all fine and dandy, but her boyfriend told her to tell me that if I speak to her again, he'll kick the **** out of me. I know that threatening someone is against the law and I would just like someone to clarify that.

Me and my ex are on great terms and we have slept together numerous times since we broke up - including when she was going out with that guy.

I have saved pictures of the messages of that guy (using her account) threatening to beat me up. What's my legal standing? =/

ReputationRep:
    Well, with the evidence provided you can have a case for harassment. I could give you theoretical legal advice but I feel that would not benefit you. The reason for this is that a lot of the time if you approached the authorities with this piece of singular evidence, they would advise you to cut contact with your ex and try and avoid this guy. It is very unlikely action would be taken, and if it were to be taken, it would merely be a warning.

As such, my advice to you would be to stay away from your ex, as she is your ex for a reason. Save this evidence and if the threatening behaviour continues without provocation then save this evidence to build up a case. If it does continue, with the built up evidence you could push for an official warning and worse case scenario a restraining order ( Would take a lot of threatening for this though ). otherwise it's really not worth the hassle for you to approach authorities now.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    you sleept with her whilst she has a partner. u can both get your head kicked in i think..

ReputationRep:
    You've slept with your ex since breaking up, including while she's dating someone else?

And you're wondering why he's threatening to beat you up?

ReputationRep:
    Your legal standing is that you sound like a ****.

ReputationRep:
    You're a legend sleeping with her while she is still with him

ReputationRep:
    It might be illegal but you're a **** for doing that. As is she.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you are scared of such threats, just simply stay away.

Ain't hard to figure out.

ReputationRep:
    I should clarify: he doesn't know about our "past" at all, I would argue she would have to tell him, considering I'm not his friend. To be honest, He has a daughter, and practically abandoned her to spend said time trying to screw my ex when I was going out with her.

I fully understand that sleeping with her all summer was an awful thing to do, but I would please like to know how I can involve the police when he has threatened me (without knowing all this) and has a history of violence?

ReputationRep:
    You all sound like horrible people tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gjaykay)
    I should clarify: he doesn't know about our "past" at all, I would argue she would have to tell him, considering I'm not his friend. To be honest, He has a daughter, and practically abandoned her to spend said time trying to screw my ex when I was going out with her.

I fully understand that sleeping with her all summer was an awful thing to do, but I would please like to know how I can involve the police when he has threatened me (without knowing all this) and has a history of violence?
    Putting it bluntly, when it comes to our position in the hierarchy, it doesn't matter what we think we are doing, what matters is what other people think we are doing.

At the extreme end of our jockeying for social dominance is the threat display. To inexperienced or emotionally insecure the threat display looks like the fast lane to violence. As far as they are concerned, once you get into the threat display murder and mayhem is just around the corner. Their panicked monkey brain is convinced the end of the world is near.

When in fact, threat displays are how we AVOID engaging in violence. Both within our group and with other groups.

It is only when the threat displays fail that things can become violent. Not will, but can. Threat display is a very complex subject.

Just ignore it, stay away, and avoid all contact.

Create a paper-trail with the police if you must by getting a report # , but if you listen to my advice, that probably isn't necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cougars_123)
    Well, with the evidence provided you can have a case for harassment. I could give you theoretical legal advice but I feel that would not benefit you. The reason for this is that a lot of the time if you approached the authorities with this piece of singular evidence, they would advise you to cut contact with your ex and try and avoid this guy. It is very unlikely action would be taken, and if it were to be taken, it would merely be a warning.

As such, my advice to you would be to stay away from your ex, as she is your ex for a reason. Save this evidence and if the threatening behaviour continues without provocation then save this evidence to build up a case. If it does continue, with the built up evidence you could push for an official warning and worse case scenario a restraining order ( Would take a lot of threatening for this though ). otherwise it's really not worth the hassle for you to approach authorities now.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks a lot for help man! But there has been parties I've thrown where she has come down, of her own free will and got drunk and had fun, then her BF came home from work, saw she wasn't in their house and took a taxi to mine. He then "squared up to me" because - as her ex - I spoke to her.

Surely his threatening behavior can allow me to call the police on him?
    Unrelated to all this, a few years ago I got attacked and I couldn't leave my house for a long time, and due to that the police know I have PTSD, so sure his threats could be treated as something more?

I don't have anything against the guy - in fact I like him - but his threatening cannot be legal. Regardless of his Girlfriend's exploits. Surely?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, you deserve at least a punch to be fair, if this guy has real emotions invested in your ex, it will be heart breaking for him if he ever found out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cougars_123)

Hope this helps!
    Just gave very similar advice, yours is about on the mark too.

OP just needs to wise up now and listen to us.

ReputationRep:
    If you are sleeping around with her while she is seeing him, you both deserve a slap tbh. Imagine the it was the other way around, I'm sure you'd be pissed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Failed)
    You've slept with your ex since breaking up, including while she's dating someone else?

And you're wondering why he's threatening to beat you up?
    Erm excuse me, but he doesn't know we slept together. At all. So his threats is all because he his a possessive tool. Regardless if he has reason or not. The fact we've been sleeping together has absolutely no bearing on him breaking the law.

(Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
    Well if you are scared of such threats, just simply stay away.

Ain't hard to figure out.
    Yeah, No, I'd rather see him pay for his crimes, as our justice system depends on it.

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to go to the police because he 'threatened' you, man up, stop being a victim.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, No, I'd rather see him pay for his crimes, as our justice system depends on it.
    You are seriously deluded if you think pen-pushers in an overworked, understaffed, underpaid office would be able to protect you in the instance of a (potential) psycho losing his temper at you.

Whatever, wise guy.

ReputationRep:
    Wait a min. She's the one in a committed relationship, I'm single and she's actively cheating on her bf. I'm not in the wrong, she is. So is her Bf, threatening me when he has no idea that was going on.

She actively looked me out and slept with me. The fact that she's with someone doesn't make me a terrible person, I've done nothing wrong - she has!

ReputationRep:

To be honest he probably did screw your ex while you were going out with her. It sounds like she's playing the both of you. Ditch the *****.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.