The Student Room Group

Religious Studies - Weak A Level or Recognised?

Hi, I really like Religious Studies, and would like to pursue it as a full A Level in my A2 year. I achieved an A grade at AS. However I have been advised that for Dentistry, it shouldn't be carried forward as it is considered weak or some nonsense?

I mean it isn't general studies or critical thinking, which are sometimes blacklisted. Is it really not recognised for Dentistry, or is it seen as weaker than say Psychology or something?

I study biology, chemistry, psychology, and RS. Obviously, I am going to stick with Biology and Chemistry for my A2 year. I am in a bit of a dilemma about what to drop? Whether I drop Psychology, or RS. If it were up to me, I would stick with RS as I seem to be much more able in it compared to Psychology and I really enjoy it a lot more. However, will this mean that my chances of getting in for Dentistry are hindered or lower than someone who has Bio, Chem and another 'stronger' A Level grade such as Maths or English for example?

Any help or feedback would be appreciated.
Recognised.
Reply 2
Original post by DenchKing1832
Recognised.

So would I still have the same chance as someone who picked Maths oppose to RS? I mean I'd like to make my application well rounded with a 'different', non-sciency subject as I am already going to be studying Biology and Chemistry, right?

Do you know anyone who has been given offers after studying RS at A2 for Dentistry?
Reply 3
According to Trinity College, Cambridge the Religious Studies A-Level is recognised. It can't possibly be much different with other universities.
Original post by Biinaz
So would I still have the same chance as someone who picked Maths oppose to RS? I mean I'd like to make my application well rounded with a 'different', non-sciency subject as I am already going to be studying Biology and Chemistry, right?

Do you know anyone who has been given offers after studying RS at A2 for Dentistry?

My friend is applying for medicine this year with biology, history and chemistry. Religious studies is considered just as respected as history, so I'd say go for it :smile: Unless the university states otherwise, your two sciences will be enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Vian
According to Trinity College, Cambridge the Religious Studies A-Level is recognised. It can't possibly be much different with other universities.

Thanks for that. That is what I was thinking, I mean to just make me 100% confident I'd love to find someone who got in for Dentistry with A Level Religious studies..

Original post by Lucy96
My friend is applying for medicine this year with biology, history and chemistry. Religious studies is considered just as respected as history, so I'd say go for it :smile: Unless the university states otherwise, your two sciences will be enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know anyone who has got in with Religious Studies/History/English, i guess they are all under the same field to be honest.. However many people insist RS is weak or unrecognised by uni's, especially for Dentistry..
Reply 6
Contact the universities you're thinking of applying to if you're worried about it, however i'm fairly sure it's accepted.
Reply 7
Original post by Biinaz
Thanks for that. That is what I was thinking, I mean to just make me 100% confident I'd love to find someone who got in for Dentistry with A Level Religious studies..

Do you know anyone who has got in with Religious Studies/History/English, i guess they are all under the same field to be honest.. However many people insist RS is weak or unrecognised by uni's, especially for Dentistry..

I can completely understand your apprehension, but rest assured that as long as you meet the subject requirements of the dental schools you'll be at no disadvantage. People may insist on whatever they like, but their assertions are meaningless without evidence!

In fact, I'd say the fact that an instituition as elite as Trinity College (known for usually being attended by candidates with 3A*'s at A-Level) states Religious Studies to be on the same level as History to be pretty good evidence as to the well-known academic rigour of RS.

Quick Reply

Latest