The Student Room Group

Should I continue doing IT?

I wish to do Computer Science at university, when I joined my Sixth Form, I was disappointed that they didn't have AS Computing (apparently they use to but they dropped it), the nearest place that did Computing didn't have so good a reputation and another was in a different town, so I chose AS IT instead, I did badly and got E in January so I resat, my coursework was better
My results were:
Mathematics: C
C1: B
C2: D
M1: B
M2: D
IT: D
Exam Resit: D
Structured Tasks: D
Physics: B
Mechanics: B
Electrons, Photons and Waves: A
Practical Skills: U
Having a D in IT, I am still eligible to move onto A2 IT however my Physics teacher says I have the option to do AS Electronics in my second year.
Should I move onto A2 IT or do AS Electronics?
(edited 10 years ago)
Electronics neither are mandatory for CS and tbh ICT is basically A-level Microsoft that's what a friend of mine from Cambridge said anyways.
Reply 2
Original post by Primus2x
I wish to do Computer Science at university, when I joined my Sixth Form, I was disappointed that they didn't have AS Computing (apparently they use to but they dropped it), the nearest place that did Computing didn't have so good a reputation and another was in a different town, so I chose AS IT instead, I did badly and got E in January so I resat, my coursework was better
My results were:
Mathematics: C
C1: B
C2: D
M1: B
M2: E
IT: D
Exam Resit: D
Structured Tasks: D
Physics: B
Mechanics: B
Electrons, Photons and Waves: A
Practical Skills: U
Having a D in IT, I am still eligible to move onto A2 IT however my Physics teacher says I have the option to do AS Electronics in my second year.
Should I move onto A2 IT or do AS Electronics?

A2 IT if you actually want university offers
Reply 3
Do you do edexcel? I think everybody has had a disaster in ICT AS i was supposed to get a A and got a C!:smile:
Reply 4
All my AS subjects use OCR for their board.
Reply 5
I was also shocked at my Structured Tasks results, I followed the guidelines to the letter, in fact so did everybody really, the IT Teacher was really lenient on that, even writing up the MS Excel functions and formulae on the board during the spreadsheet task. Once the teacher realised that she was doing things so freely, she just told us to do the Website task it ourselves and I wrote every line of the CSS file and HTML file even writing up JavaScript by my self and I still didn't get marks.
Reply 6
oh we all just failed ICT then
Reply 7
I was also shocked at my Structured Tasks results, I followed the guidelines to the letter, in fact so did everybody really, the IT Teacher was really lenient on that, even writing up the MS Excel functions and formulae on the board during the spreadsheet task. Once the teacher realised that she just told us to do the Website task it ourselves and I wrote every line of the CSS file and HTML file even writing up JavaScript by my self and I still didn't get marks.

My ICT teacher is good but the marking seems to be really harsh. Our spreadsheet exam was awful had no idea what some of the stuff was but i got a C
Reply 8
Original post by John Stuart Mill
Electronics neither are mandatory for CS and tbh ICT is basically A-level Microsoft that's what a friend of mine from Cambridge said anyways.

Well even though I got bad results at IT, I at least know how well I am doing in it, I never done electronics, what do I expect to find?
Well even though I got bad results at IT, I at least know how well I am doing in it, I never done electronics, what do I expect to find?

AQA specification http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2430-W-SP.PDF

edit: Electionics is WAY better for computer science looking at the syllabus stupid universities.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
It's only AS as far as I know, even if I do 3 years I don't think they offer A2 Electronics at my college.
Is it a good Idea to start trying out past papers for both subjects and compare?
Reply 11
After looking on the UCAS website abd comparing my results on past papers on both subjects, I've decided to to complete a A-level rather than two AS. I may do AS electronics if I can since I'm only doing 3 A-levels
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest