Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello! In September, I am going to be studying International Hospitality Management at the University of Surrey. It's one of the main courses at the University (Surrey is ranked 8th in the country) and it is the number one University for the course in the country. I'm really interested in the industry and aspire to be a manager at a Jumeirah hotel which is a Dubai based hotel chain and one of it's hotels is the Burj al Arab, the 7* hotel, in Dubai. To work for Jumeirah as a manager, it requires a Hospitality/Business related degree. I was reading online earlier that people consider business related degrees to be ''Mickey Mouse'' subjects and it's made me worried to tell people what I am studying. Will people judge me and look down on me as they may consider their course to be superior? A lot of reputable people have come out of Surrey doing this degree, such as Robert Earl who was the founder of Planet Hollywood and also George Diakogeorgiou who is the founder of lastminute.com. It may well be a simpler degree to say Law or something, but at the end of the day, there are a lot of jobs in Business/Hospitality so finding a job after the degree won't be AS difficult (Although still difficult in this climate). Whereas there are a lot of degrees where getting a job afterwards can be near impossible, for example my aunty studied History, couldn't get any employment with a very good degree and is now a coach driver..

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not!
    A business degree is very respected in university level as the modules are split into very useful modules anyway such as Accounting, Business Law, Corporate Finance. It is a very broad degree and teaches you many qualities in life and is probably the most useful. The employment rate for a degree in business is also very high as every company is looking for someone with business knowledge.

A Law degree has recently been branded as quite a pointless degree, especially if you don't want to become a lawyer. Many Law graduates have said how pointless it was complaining on the amount of reading required not only to mention how employment figures for law graduates 6 months after graduating is quite disappointing.

Your degree is fine don't worry and those branded business as "mickey mouse" are confusing it with the GCSE and A Level reputation which university frown upon but in a degree level its a different story.

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask for the link in relation to information on what e.g. Dubai hotels are looking for please!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.