Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got my AS results on Thursday, and as expected i didn't do very well, i knew Alevels wasn't for me. But my goal is to become a qualified Primary school teacher, but as i won't be continuing my Alevels, i don't really know how i should accomplish that.

I'm looking at courses at college, but majority are for teaching assistant, would i have to work up??, my question is what course would i have to take at college that would eventually help me to get to university so i can get my QTS?? please help, thank you.

Can i become a primary school teacher without Alevels????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShyGirl95)
    I got my AS results on Thursday, and as expected i didn't do very well, i knew Alevels wasn't for me. But my goal is to become a qualified Primary school teacher, but as i won't be continuing my Alevels, i don't really know how i should accomplish that.

I'm looking at courses at college, but majority are for teaching assistant, would i have to work up??, my question is what course would i have to take at college that would eventually help me to get to university so i can get my QTS?? please help, thank you.

If you're 19 or above you can do an access course in education or humanities and get on to a primary education degree. Or you could do a Btec?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    If you're 19 or above you can do an access course in education or humanities and get on to a primary education degree. Or you could do a Btec?
    Thanks for this, but what BTEC course would be the most suitable?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this, but what BTEC course would be the most suitable?
    I think an access course would be more suitable than a Btec as you'd gain knowledge of the national curriculum subjects too. By a Btec is another option, possibly in education or childhood. Look at the requirements for primary education courses or email the unis you're interested in to ask what qualifications other than a levels they accept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    I think an access course would be more suitable than a Btec as you'd gain knowledge of the national curriculum subjects too. By a Btec is another option, possibly in education or childhood. Look at the requirements for primary education courses or email the unis you're interested in to ask what qualifications other than a levels they accept.
    Thank you so much

ReputationRep:

Hi, my cousin got into do primary teaching in Liverpool Hope and she did BTEC Health and Social Care extended diploma if that helps! :P

ReputationRep:
    I had student in my class who was completing a BTEC National, I think it was Health and social care, and she is starting university in Sept do to a teaching course.

A BTEC will prepare you more for a QTS primary course because it is much more practical compared to A-levels, as you have work placements and you can get a better feel of what teaching is really like.

Good luck! A-levels aren't for everyone so don't worry about it, your goal of teaching is still within sight!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balloon_parade)
    I had student in my class who was completing a BTEC National, I think it was Health and social care, and she is starting university in Sept do to a teaching course.

A BTEC will prepare you more for a QTS primary course because it is much more practical compared to A-levels, as you have work placements and you can get a better feel of what teaching is really like.

Good luck! A-levels aren't for everyone so don't worry about it, your goal of teaching is still within sight!
    Can i hug you? thank you so much, this helps me so much, i was completely freaking out, but this really helped me, thank you once again!!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.