Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi hope everyone did okay for results. I know what universities I like but I never ever considered Oxbridge. I got 4A’s this year (I’m doing A2 in September) and I’m pretty pleased. My teacher explained that I would be predicted A*A*A*A*(I would be more comfortable with A*A*AA). Anyway, I worked really hard at AS, did a UCL summer school. HOWEVER I didn’t do that good at GCSE’S. I did okay but defiantly not as good as I could of; 1A* 4A 5B.

I plan on studying Management and my interests are UCL (IMB), King’s (BM), Warwick Business School (IMBM) and Loughborough (IMB). Because I did well at AS my teacher recommended that I apply for Cambridge (Land Economy). Offer is A*AA and meet subject requirement (not specific). It looks interesting, also 5 applications per place so not that competitive I guess. Is it worth applying to Cambridge with such low GCSE’S.? I’d be lucky to get into UCL or Kings or Warwick with those GCSE’s so hesitant on considering Cambridge. Extra information that might be useful; VERY actively involved in many many extra-curricular ie sport language head girl and no-one in my family has been to university. (Incase that helps).

Apply:
    Amazing Uni

Don't Apply:
    Won't get in - fear of rejection
    Perhaps a waste of a University choice selection

... any views or points to add to this pro/con list? Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge is more concerned with AS ums scores than with GCSEs (oxford is the other way around). So with AS levels sufficient enough for you to be predicted 4A*s, I'd go for it- you still have 4 other uni choices, and nothing to lose!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ernstleanflowers)
    Hi hope everyone did okay for results. I know what universities I like but I never ever considered Oxbridge. I got 4A’s this year (I’m doing A2 in September) and I’m pretty pleased. My teacher explained that I would be predicted A*A*A*A*(I would be more comfortable with A*A*AA). Anyway, I worked really hard at AS, did a UCL summer school. HOWEVER I didn’t do that good at GCSE’S. I did okay but defiantly not as good as I could of; 1A* 4A 5B.

I plan on studying Management and my interests are UCL (IMB), King’s (BM), Warwick Business School (IMBM) and Loughborough (IMB). Because I did well at AS my teacher recommended that I apply for Cambridge (Land Economy). Offer is A*AA and meet subject requirement (not specific). It looks interesting, also 5 applications per place so not that competitive I guess. Is it worth applying to Cambridge with such low GCSE’S.? I’d be lucky to get into UCL or Kings or Warwick with those GCSE’s so hesitant on considering Cambridge. Extra information that might be useful; VERY actively involved in many many extra-curricular ie sport language head girl and no-one in my family has been to university. (Incase that helps).

Apply:
    Amazing Uni

Don't Apply:
    Won't get in - fear of rejection
    Perhaps a waste of a University choice selection

... any views or points to add to this pro/con list? Thank you very much!
    Great results indeed, but you need to make sure your UMS average is around 90% at least, and around 95% ideally. Otherwise, Oxford may be an option, however, they care more about GCSE than Cambridge...
    Up to you really.
    With 4 As, I can almost guarantee you will not get 5 rejections - unless you make some massive blunder. So, it definitely is not a waste of a choice!

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, Cambridge aren't too worried about your GCSEs, and they don't care about extracurricular activities. What UMS scores did you get, as they do seem to care about those (http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...quirements.pdf)?

ReputationRep:
    Do it - personally I don't think they'd be that bothered by your GCSEs there pretty good and you a levels are amazing - do it because if you don't you'll be thinking 'what if'

ReputationRep:
    Go for it! You'll never find out unless you try!
    Remember YOLOOOOOOOOO
    On a serious note, you might regret it later on in a few year's time!
    Anyway, hope I helped..

ReputationRep:
    Just my opinion but if you're going to do a degree as a stepping stone to a career (not relevant to your degree) then the additional stress for Oxbridge isn't worth it. If you plan to go academic and end up doing masters/PHDs and a career relevant to your course then Oxbridge are worth applying to. This was central to my decision not to apply, much to the disappointment of my parents/school given i was 4As (would have 4A*s in current grades but they didn't exist in 2008!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CW12345)
    As far as I know, Cambridge aren't too worried about your GCSEs, and they don't care about extracurricular activities. What UMS scores did you get, as they do seem to care about those (http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...quirements.pdf)?
    88% / 87 % / 88% / 88% - They're not even 90% but they're being predicted so highly because they believe I can achieve A*s next year, which I will have to discuss with my head of year about as I feel it is somehow better to be predicted lower to get a more realistic offer in general. Thank you for the link! 'Those with an average of 85% or below are very unlikely to get interview' and I only have an average of 88% roughly so I may not apply :/

ReputationRep:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/student...d-8770513.html
    These universities can be unpredictable at times, but I say go for it you have nothing to lose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trix465)
    Just my opinion but if you're going to do a degree as a stepping stone to a career (not relevant to your degree) then the additional stress for Oxbridge isn't worth it. If you plan to go academic and end up doing masters/PHDs and a career relevant to your course then Oxbridge are worth applying to. This was central to my decision not to apply, much to the disappointment of my parents/school given i was 4As (would have 4A*s in current grades but they didn't exist in 2008!).
    Hi, thank you for your response. That makes sense, I would ideally love to study at UCL or King's and defiantly plan on doing a Masters so perhaps I could apply then. However, as you noted my parents and teachers are confused as to why I wouldn't even try. Also Land Economy is an okay degree but I know I'd enjoy IMB at UCL or BM at King's more :/ however with that said Cambridge IS Cambridge - ah see how confusing this is :P Anyway thanks for your help. I don't think I will apply.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly go for it. Good GCSE's aren't the main criteria for getting a place/ And A level results count for A LOT as well as the interview and everything. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/student...d-8770513.html
    These universities can be unpredictable at times, but I say go for it you have nothing to lose.
    haha I've seen this! You're totally right but Cambridge wants the best and I go to a very good school. I know for certain no-one is interested in the same degree as I am however about 30 people want to apply and they are all incredibly smart - I'm talking 100%, I feel embarrassed to even consider applying being surrounded by that

ReputationRep:
    haha I've seen this! You're totally right but Cambridge wants the best and I go to a very good school. I know for certain no-one is interested in the same degree as I am however about 30 people want to apply and they are all incredibly smart - I'm talking 100%, I feel embarrassed to even consider applying being surrounded by that
    Yeah I feel exactly the same as you! Im not exactly the brightest person in my year and I feel I have to study really hard to get my grades, whereas others find it soo easy.
    I went to a cambridge 3 week scholar programme and this guy who used to go there said that getting in isnt even the hard part! the terms are intensive 8 week ones where you have to do loads of essays and if you think youre at the low end of the cleverest people at your school then when you get there you will struggle being the lower end of the cleverest people in the country, if that makes sense.
    This has confused me so much and now I don't think I'll ever have a chance of getting in hahah especially as he then went on to say having 3Bs at GCSE will be frowned upon!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    1. Apply - you have 4 other spaces on your UCAS form and with 4As at AS and A* predictions you're pretty much guaranteed other offers
    2. Go for the course you will really enjoy, not the university that you think you have the best chance of getting into - at interview they will be able to tell if you are not enthusiastic about the subject
    3. Don't worry about what other people will think/ being surrounded by 'more intelligent' people etc. - loads of people from a huge range of backgrounds go to Oxbridge, we're not all posh snobs! And you don't need 100% in everything to get in either, remember most statistics are just averages and individual results will vary significantly - also they will take your more disadvantaged background (no family history of higher education) into consideration.
    4. If you're interested in Management, Cambridge offers the opportunity for 2nd year students of any subject to transfer into a 'Management Studies' course - there is the option to register your interest in this on your SAQ form

ReputationRep:
    88% / 87 % / 88% / 88% - They're not even 90% but they're being predicted so highly because they believe I can achieve A*s next year, which I will have to discuss with my head of year about as I feel it is somehow better to be predicted lower to get a more realistic offer in general. Thank you for the link! 'Those with an average of 85% or below are very unlikely to get interview' and I only have an average of 88% roughly so I may not apply :/
    Presumably though those with above 85% will get an interview.

I'd go for it, you should go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arketec)
    Presumably though those with above 85% will get an interview.
    There is no logic that goes from what you quoted to that statement - it is far from a certainty.

Although i don't think 'just' 88% should dissuade someone from applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    There is no logic that goes from what you quoted to that statement - it is far from a certainty.

Although i don't think 'just' 88% should dissuade someone from applying.
    I thought cambridge tried to interview everybody who applies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arketec)
    I thought cambridge tried to interview everybody who applies.
    Its about 80% i think. At least, it has been.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trix465)
    I would definitely disagree with this (but then of course I would!). I think the added stress of the admissions process has been more than worth it. Just my two cents worth...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    1. Apply - you have 4 other spaces on your UCAS form and with 4As at AS and A* predictions you're pretty much guaranteed other offers
    2. Go for the course you will really enjoy, not the university that you think you have the best chance of getting into - at interview they will be able to tell if you are not enthusiastic about the subject
    3. Don't worry about what other people will think/ being surrounded by 'more intelligent' people etc. - loads of people from a huge range of backgrounds go to Oxbridge, we're not all posh snobs! And you don't need 100% in everything to get in either, remember most statistics are just averages and individual results will vary significantly - also they will take your more disadvantaged background (no family history of higher education) into consideration.
    4. If you're interested in Management, Cambridge offers the opportunity for 2nd year students of any subject to transfer into a 'Management Studies' course - there is the option to register your interest in this on your SAQ form
    Thank you for everyone for replying :') Number 3 is ridiculously hard as my school is filled with 'Oxbridge breed' potential candidates who were even surprised at my grades, I worked hard? I have seen the Management Studies course and defiantly plan on doing that if I apply, yet I need to talk to my head of year first regarding how that works. School begins in less than 16 days for me :/ I need to decide asap whether to apply as the deadline is of course much earlier than non-Oxbridge deadlines. Thank you to everyone who replied and thank you for giving me the confidence to 'just do'! Oh **** it, I'm applying

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.