Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My DSA claim has been completed and I've received all equipment and letters.

I have been sent a claim form from Student Finance to claim back costs from paper, printing ink and such. My question is, when am I able to buy and claim back these costs?

I am already enrolled in University (I had an unconditional offer and enrolled in July). I have received my student card, and student number etc. I'm literally just waiting to start.

So, can I buy paper etc, and claim back now? Or do I have to wait until the University have confirmed my attendance?

ReputationRep:
    Wait till university have confirmed attendance. It can take a while to get the money back.

If you didn't know you can only claim for the academic year if you are in when you purchase it. So you couldn't buy something say December 2013 then claim for the cost of that product in December 2014.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mehrfarbig)
    Wait till university have confirmed attendance. It can take a while to get the money back.

If you didn't know you can only claim for the academic year if you are in when you purchase it. So you couldn't buy something say December 2013 then claim for the cost of that product in December 2014.
    I have received my claim form for the 13/14 academic year, that SFE sent to me, and I have already enrolled in University. I'm just not sure whether to wait, or to do it now as I've already had all my equipment etc already. I can't find anything online that says I must wait.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you can claim yet. The academic year hasn't started and you are not enrolled at uni until it does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balotelli12)
    I doubt you can claim yet. The academic year hasn't started and you are not enrolled at uni until it does.
    I am enrolled at University already, and have received my student ID card etc.

ReputationRep:
    Technically DSA only supports students during term time only so purchasing items outside of term time could mean they refuse to reimburse them, however it depends on the item and the funding body. Its a bit hit and miss.

ReputationRep:
    You may be enrolled BUT you have not confirmed attendance. Until you confirm attendance they won't cover anything. All the equipment you have now will be automatically taken away or charged for if you don't confirm attendance in September.

I am starting my 3rd year at uni.

By the paper in September...sure you can wait that long. If you desperately need paper it isn't that expensive to buy your own.

They only really fund printer paper anyway...printer paper, printer ink, university printing costs...

ReputationRep:
    I called student finance three times and spoke to three different people, they have all said that I can claim thing back now, as I've already enrolled, and they have received something from my university.

ReputationRep:
    Odd. When ring the university. As it seems odd seen as you have yet to confirm attendance. Student Finance are not the most knowledgeable at times I have found. lol I got told I was unable to continue university...

Do what you think is best.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.