Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am an international student coming to university of manchester this fall. I have booked a studio with UNITE at piccadilly point. Lately, I have heard many bad rumors about it, and how high their prices are.

Unfortunately, my booking is confirmed, and I have signed a contract with them. What do you think should I do now? Can I tolerate their problems throughout the year or my life gonna be hell ?! Putting aside the rip off issue, will I be living peacefully with them?

The following things made me choose unite:

1. No Guarantor.
    2. Can pay by installments.
    3. Very close to university.
    4. Known company for several years.
    5. University accommodation does not offer studios for single occupancy.

ReputationRep:
    If you've signed a contract with them, and there are no get-out clauses in the contract, then you're stuck and you'll have to pay up.

However, it's not a course of action I would have chosen - points 1-4 apply to the university accommodation, and studios are (a) not necessary, and (b) potentially quite isolating.

ReputationRep:
    My sister has lived with them for nearly 2 years now. They were fine. A little expensive but she thought it was worth it for the comfort and security. Plus there are loads of places to eat around there. She travelled using the magic bus.

ReputationRep:
    My sister has lived with them for nearly 2 years now. They were fine. A little expensive but she thought it was worth it for the comfort and security. Plus there are loads of places to eat around there. She travelled using the magic bus http://www.unibuspass.com/unirider-manchester/ which stops right outside and takes you to all the main buildings. So all in all - she finds it a safe place.

ReputationRep:
    i am sorry to hear that, i am living in Piccadilly Point it is the worst thing that happen to your life. cancel it as soon as you can mate. any student accommodation is better than this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by armin_89)
    i am sorry to hear that, i am living in Piccadilly Point it is the worst thing that happen to your life. cancel it as soon as you can mate. any student accommodation is better than this.
    Oh dear

What exactly is wrong with it?

ReputationRep:
    Well it is long story bug i am going to tell it in bullet points to be easier to read

1. the flat allocation is not appropriate there is no reason to put PhD or Post graduate student with freshers in one flat, you cannot get on with that because of age difference
    2. there is no noise policy, i mean if you buy a speakers and listen to music till 4 AM every night, the only thing that can happen, somebody from security knock your door and ask to reduce volume. no matter how frequently you are doing it, or if you are going to same noise level in few minutes again
    3.there is no 24 hours security in unite they are 1 or 2 people for 3 building in the Manchester city centre, so in case of emergency it may be no authorised person in building
    4. if you don't clean your kitchen at all no problem, there isn't any inspection and no one can ask you why you don't help cleaning to your flat mates, and no one can force you to clean so just do mess, and somebody will clean it for you
    5. If you are lazy to go shopping it is fine, just use what you find in fridge,it happen you frequently in my flat even when i am in kitchen, and it is all right with management
    6. If you smoke weed, cigarettes in shared area , it is again fine, if somebody complain it to management then nothing going to happen
    7.if you can emergency centre they will show up in 40-45 minutes, so you have time to have some tea with cake
    8. if you speak with management/ reception team they will promise you good things, but tomorrow they will forget it what they said and try to persuade you to tolerate situation
    9. the interesting thing is they cant move any one out under any circumstance, so basically you can do what ever you like
    10. it is more but i am tired of typing i will add some more stuff after few comments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by armin_89)
    Well it is long story bug i am going to tell it in bullet points to be easier to read

1. the flat allocation is not appropriate there is no reason to put PhD or Post graduate student with freshers in one flat, you cannot get on with that because of age difference
    2. there is no noise policy, i mean if you buy a speakers and listen to music till 4 AM every night, the only thing that can happen, somebody from security knock your door and ask to reduce volume. no matter how frequently you are doing it, or if you are going to same noise level in few minutes again
    3.there is no 24 hours security in unite they are 1 or 2 people for 3 building in the Manchester city centre, so in case of emergency it may be no authorised person in building
    4. if you don't clean your kitchen at all no problem, there isn't any inspection and no one can ask you why you don't help cleaning to your flat mates, and no one can force you to clean so just do mess, and somebody will clean it for you
    5. If you are lazy to go shopping it is fine, just use what you find in fridge,it happen you frequently in my flat even when i am in kitchen, and it is all right with management
    6. If you smoke weed, cigarettes in shared area , it is again fine, if somebody complain it to management then nothing going to happen
    7.if you can emergency centre they will show up in 40-45 minutes, so you have time to have some tea with cake
    8. if you speak with management/ reception team they will promise you good things, but tomorrow they will forget it what they said and try to persuade you to tolerate situation
    9. the interesting thing is they cant move any one out under any circumstance, so basically you can do what ever you like
    10. it is more but i am tired of typing i will add some more stuff after few comments

Sounds like you were in a pretty terrible relationship with your flatmates? Are you international? such things happen anywhere you go in the UK, I like you point 6. I'm moving in this year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.