Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I can currently type at around about a rate of 60 words per minute, but I currently cant touch type. I was wondering if there are any applications for windows or a website that can help help me learn to touch type.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not aware of any applications, but would you really need one?

You could try something such as grabbing a dictionary and just starting to type the words out. Type it once while looking at the keys and then repeat the words looking less and less at the keys. Because it's a dictionary, and thus alphabetical, you should start to be able to master the patterns of letters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    I'm not aware of any applications, but would you really need one?

You could try something such as grabbing a dictionary and just starting to type the words out. Type it once while looking at the keys and then repeat the words looking less and less at the keys. Because it's a dictionary, and thus alphabetical, you should start to be able to master the patterns of letters.
    That's a good idea thank you! the only problem is that I don't own a dictionary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dom979)
    That's a good idea thank you! the only problem is that I don't own a dictionary.
    Online dictionary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    Online dictionary?
    Wow I feel so stupid, I never thought of that.

ReputationRep:
    I can currently type at around about a rate of 60 words per minute, but I currently cant touch type. I was wondering if there are any applications for windows or a website that can help help me learn to touch type.
    My highest has been 105 RPM I think (or 110) I can touch type. This is just down to having used a keyboard a lot xD Just practice I guess.... I don't think there are programs for it

ReputationRep:
    http://10fastfingers.com/typing-test/english
    <111 WPM.

ReputationRep:
    I got 92, but it's not the most accurate way of measuring it. I type slower in normal situations, when I have to consider grammar and whether or not the sentence I am tying makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed.php? < I'm like 70wpm

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I got 89wpm on there and 70wpm on another site? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Years ago I picked up one of those cheap CD-ROMs for the PC that taught you to touch type, it's a bit boring, but it worked really well.

ReputationRep:
    Slightly left field, but why do you want to be able to 'touch type' and what do you define as touch typing?

I wouldn't as such call my self a touch typist, and do look at the keys quite often, but as the same time dont have to and done look for each key, never learnt as such, bar just using a keyboard a lot. I can get about 50 words a minute out of that test, but the limitation is my reading not my typing, based on the rate I was typing for the test I expect im on about 70-80....? Enough for me!

Daniel

ReputationRep:
    Learn the basics of where to place your fingers on the keyboard then go on www.keybr.com to do more practices. It tracks your progress if you login with Facebook.

Basically just type a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Here is my top 3 typing tutors you should try:

1. Ratatype
    2. TypingWeb
    3. Keybr

Every has its benefits. Try by yourself and share your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    The easiest / cheapest method (and the one I used) is just repetition, become familiar with were the letter keys are located, and your speed will improve.

Just remember, that sometimes the other keys change location / function so before you start make sure you are aware of where each key is, and let your fingers to the walking.

Best of Luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.