Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've just finished my AS exams and I'm looking at doing STEP papers in the future. But I've heard that some people can't do STEP, even if they practice for them. Is it really that hard? I'm willing to put in a lot of work for this, but the idea that they are 'impossibly' difficult is daunting. Any input/advice for previous STEP students or general advice would be good.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    STEP is very demanding and requires lots of practice. If you've never seen a STEP question before don't be surprised if you can't get very far or even start at all! It is not, however, impossible and with enough devotion you should be able to achieve a decent grade. If you're looking to start out on STEP, look up the Siklos booklet on the main STEP site although you should probably wait until you've done some C3/4 before you start on the questions there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student10011)
    So I've just finished my AS exams and I'm looking at doing STEP papers in the future. But I've heard that some people can't do STEP, even if they practice for them. Is it really that hard? I'm willing to put in a lot of work for this, but the idea that they are 'impossibly' difficult is daunting. Any input/advice for previous STEP students or general advice would be good.

Thanks!
    Depends on how good at maths you are - I can understand the problems and make some small steps at solving them, but I've never been able to "see" the solution/method clearly, or rather, at all. I'm pretty good at maths but it doesn't come naturally to me.

My boyfriend, on the other hand, is a maths whiz and got a 1 in STEP 1 in year 12, SO CLOSE to an S! That's why he's applying for maths and me for natsci.

I think it's about your abstract capabilities and "natural" maths affinity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student10011)

Thanks!
    Here is this year's (I guess it's last year's now...) STEP thread. It is full of students who have just done STEP, and there is a tonne of resources in the OP.

Just have a look at a STEP I paper. Those are the easy questions. It was very daunting for me this time last year, I didn't successfully answer a question until 4 months before my exams! (I really should've started practise earlier). However by the time the papers came around I was as prepared as I could have been. Although I panicked and messed up paper II (luckily my results in I and III were enough to convince Churchill to keep me), that thread helped me, and many others, to get through the papers successfully. They are not impossible. If you put in enough hard work and practise you will get the hang of it. Of course, aptitude is necessary as well, but struggling at first with the papers isn't a sign that you don't have aptitude for it.

So keep an eye out for the 2014 STEP thread. Myself and many others will be there to provide advice for anyone who asks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.