Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Maths - A (264) 240 is an A
    Physics - B (228) 240 is an A
    Economics - C (137) 140 is a B
    Psychology - B (141) 140 is a B

I understand these aren't poor results themselves but consider the following:

I was set on doing economics at university but I completely failed markets in action and got 53 UMS (a D). I have no idea what to do now. If I apply for university for economics with a C then I reckon admissions officers will just turn their nose up and turn my application into a paper aeroplane. The main problem is I reckon I could easily get an A in economics. (Not easily in a cocky way, Im sure you understand what I mean).

What should I do? Should I just drop my ideas of doing economics and apply for maths? I'm also wondering whether or not I should bother retaking some physics modules to try and get an A.

I know this is a bit of a ramble but I'm really confused. I just don't know where to go from here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwndonTwn)

I was set on doing economics at university but I completely failed markets in action and got 53 UMS (a D). I have no idea what to do now. If I apply for university for economics with a C then I reckon admissions officers will just turn their nose up and turn my application into a paper aeroplane. The main problem is I reckon I could easily get an A in economics. (Not easily in a cocky way, Im sure you understand what I mean).

What should I do? Should I just drop my ideas of doing economics and apply for maths? I'm also wondering whether or not I should bother retaking some physics modules to try and get an A.

I know this is a bit of a ramble but I'm really confused. I just don't know where to go from here.
    Hi! I also got a D in Markets in Action at AS level however I retook it and got an A - so it is possible to improve your mark greatly! I think you have a great set of results which will give you a good set of predicted grades and plenty of scope to get in to a good uni!

Regarding what to study I always say study what you want to - its a 3 year degree so make sure you enjoy the subject!

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:

You're grades aren't too bad. For economics degree you don't need AS or A2 economics. You need A-Level Maths only. Your A in Maths and B in Physics are impressive. You can resit Physics If you want to but it's not necessary as you can still achieve an A at A2, although it may take the pressure off.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks you 2

I know economics isn't necessary, but could they look at that and just think I'm crap? I just figured that's how they would think.

ReputationRep:

Having talked to universities, they say that economics at a level is almost pointless, and they value maths a lot more. So you're still good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.