Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay I'm thinking of what unis to consider now that I've got my AS results back. The problem is I don't know the UK very well since I've only studied in Bristol for a year. I want a university in a large to moderate city as I'm from a massive city myself. I'd like the city to have a good nightlife. Nothing too crazy but I'd definitely like there to be clubs and pubs available. I also want the university to have a big presence in the city it's in (I'm thinking campus universities like the ones in America). I'm thinking of universities with AAA-AAB offers for law plus maybe a A*AA from KCL but no other london universities. Alright I think that's enough requests. If you know any universities that fit what I'm talking about feel free to post them

ReputationRep:
    University of Liverpool! Excellent city and a Russell group university.

ReputationRep:
    Campus universities tend to be a little further from the inner city area due to their size, so you might have to compromise on that front.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh, Cardiff.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham is a beautiful campus - a little out of the city centre, but with great transport links.

Sheffield is a great student city - the university is a massive part of the city and you can live in the city centre. I am studying there now and think that the facilities are amazing.

Newcastle is a wonderful city - not campus, but in the heart of the city and you can live very near to the uni. I went there as an undergrad and loved it

Cardiff gets rave reviews from students that I have met that have studied there (including law students)

Leeds has a party central reputation plus being a great uni - I am not sure about the law department though
    The cost of accommodation at leeds, Cardiff and Sheffield has to be big plus factors. I am not sure about Nottingham and Newcastle might be the same.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure Edinburgh ticks all those boxes

ReputationRep:
    Since you seem to be going for law, bear in mind that English Law and Scots Law are separate systems, and a law degree from a Scottish university (Since Edinburgh has had multiple mentions) does not exempt you from having to take a GDL (graduate diploma in law) before you can start your legal practice course if you intend to actually become a lawyer after uni. The GDL is the law conversion course that non law graduates have to take before they can start training. A Scottish law degree might (and Edinburgh's probably would) exempt you from SOME parts of the GDL but not all of it. whereas an accredited law degree at an English university would.

You might find this useful to read if you do consider Edinburgh/anywhere else in Scotland (I hear Glasgow is an incredible city to live in)
    http://www.slaughterandmay.com/caree...-students.aspx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kre)
    Campus universities tend to be a little further from the inner city area due to their size, so you might have to compromise on that front.
    Ah then that's something I'm willing to sacrifice. I just love the feeling I get from campus universities. It's awesome.

Also hm if that's true themightyraven, then I'll probably have to opt out of scottish unis...

ReputationRep:
    And don't forget that even though you may love campus universities, at least for some of the time you may have to live off campus. So checking out accommodation availability may be important for you.

ReputationRep:
    Suprised no-ones mentioned Birmingham. It's got a lovely Victorian brick campus and the city isn't far away.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.