Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should there be a test to become a Parent? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should there be a test to become a Parent?
    Yes
    47.25%
    No
    52.75%

ReputationRep:
    I'm not talking an IQ test. That would be incredibly stupid. Ethically wrong.
    I just want to know if anyone agrees with the prospect with a test that would be designed to discover whether or not you would make an able parent, which you would have to pass gain the right to do so?
    It would test you on whether or not you have enough financial support to carry the costs of raising a child, whether or not there is a suitable atmosphere at home.
    I'm not trying to implement eugenics here, as it has been proven that it could not work. But there are far too many teenage pregnancies, and shows such as Jeremy Kyle show the type of volatile environments that a incredibly impressionable child can be born into and exploited by. I even recently heard of a story of a woman who vowed to keep having children to reap the benefits supplied by the government and to stay off work.

Sorry for the length. I expected (and still do) to be negged for the question at face value , so I wanted to clarify the situation.

Any Opinions would be very much appreciated.

Edit: The Question of what would happen if you failed this test has come up frequently, as I have explained, A sort of involuntary contraception( the pill most likely) would probably have to be introduced. There would be frequent check ups to make sure you comply, and negative repercussions if you do not. (impact of job/ uni prospects, withdrawal of a cash bonus that is given to those that stick to it. If you pass the test, you can come off it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Memetics)
    I'm not talking an IQ test. That would be incredibly stupid and ethnically wrong.
    I just want to know if anyone agrees with the prospect with a test that would be designed to discover whether or not you would make an able parent, which you would have to pass gain the right to do so?
    It would test you on whether or not you have enough financial support to carry the costs of raising a child, whether or not there is a suitable atmosphere at home.
    I'm not trying to implement eugenics here, as it has been proven that it could not work. But there are far too many teenage pregnancies, and shows such as Jeremy Kyle show the type of volatile environments that a incredibly impressionable child can be born into and exploited by. I even recently heard of a story of a woman who vowed to keep having children to reap the benefits supplied by the government and to stay off work.

Sorry for the length. I expected (and still do) to be negged for the question at face value , so I wanted to clarify the situation.

Ethnically wrong? (If that's a typo, I'd correct it quick )

EDIT: On a secondary, and somewhat more relevant point though - okay suppose there was such a test available. What then? You find out that someone was not a suitable parent, what would be the ramifications of such a result?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If they are too dim-witted to prevent themselves getting pregnant at the age of 13, then how would you advise that we prevent them from doing so after they fail this 'test'?

I do agree with the concept however, some people are not fit to be parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathaniell)
    Ethnically wrong? (If that's a typo, I'd correct it quick )

EDIT: On a secondary, and somewhat more relevant point though - okay suppose there was such a test available. What then? You find out that someone was not a suitable parent, what would be the ramifications of such a result?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks haha, that could have caused some problems.

And the point you raised was one I had trouble with. It's also the one I thought would have the highest chance of coming up so yeah haha.
    Mabey there would be sort of monthly test to make sure everyone was on the pill, and would have some sort of ID to say that the had passed. If they weren't on it and were found they could get a hefty fine and a record of this, which could have a domino effect on job applications, uni etc. Just a thought. And then people would go all Feminist so I don't know how viable that would be :confused:

ReputationRep:
    How are they going to be stopped, even after the results of the test?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ripper-Roo)
    How are they going to be stopped, even after the results of the test?
    (Original post by Mockery)
    If they are too dim-witted to prevent themselves getting pregnant at the age of 13, then how would you advise that we prevent them from doing so after they fail this 'test'?
    As I said, a sort of mandatory contraceptive would probably have to be implemented, with negative repercussions if not followed.

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression the people on this forum were very much in favour of people having control over their own bodies.... I guess not.

ReputationRep:
    As I said, a sort of mandatory contraceptive would probably have to be implemented, with negative repercussions if not followed.
    It's a good idea in theory, but would never work. Eugenics in itself is excellent in theory, but terrible in practice.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and to vote.
    • PS Reviewer
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Like that'd change anything. What are you going to do if they have a child? Take it from them because they failed a test? Who would it go to?

It wouldn't work logistically imo and it's unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    This seems to have some idea of force which I disagree with.

However I do think a free test which perhaps just asks simple questions about parental knowledge, financial costs, medical costs, and other such things that often parents will not have thought about or assumed they had covered. I think such a test could alert some potential parents to just how unprepared they are, and perhaps make them hold off for a year or two to ensure they are in the better shape to be parents.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is though, there's no such thing as a "good" parent. There are many, many parenting techniques that can produce a wonderful child. And not everyone is going to agree with every technique. And some parents find ways to raise their children without actually spending that much money, and the child still has everything they need.
    There obviously needs to be something to determine that the child wouldn't be in a harmful environment.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt half of us would be here if there was!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not talking an IQ test. That would be incredibly stupid. Ethically wrong.

how would you stop people if they failed???

forced abortion, sterilization, a permanent chastity belt :confused:

any idea how stupid this is

no body has any right to stop someone having a child or interfere with someone elses body with out full permission otherwise how is it different to rape?... but there are already implementations to remove children from unfit parents custody (not perfect but it exists)

ReputationRep:
    How would they prevent you from having a child? Duh: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rt-ruling.html

ReputationRep:
    I voted yes, but ignoring the obvious issues with enforcing it and everything. So I read it as "should there be a criteria met before someone becomes a parent". The majority of kids in state care are from unprepared and broken families, which are unable to provide any support to the child. It's morally wrong to have a child if you can't care for it, just like getting a puppy for christmas and then sending it to a kennel - and those people shouldn't be able to have a child until they can prove to be responsible enough :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    No.

Instead of a test, the education system should include aspects of caring for people/children. Sex education could be weaved into this, as well as care for the elderly/disabled/children.

Maybe this could be the new compulsory 'general studies'. It could also include basic first aid skills, which I think everyone should know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PodgyBoy)
    How would they prevent you from having a child? Duh: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rt-ruling.html
    they seem to list that they're unfit parents due to having a mental age of 9

there are many parents throughout history had and raised children at that age (mainly in developing countries) but it can be done in fact the youngest grandmother ever was only 17 (having her daughter at 8 and her daughter have her child at 9)

it was and is common practice still in some areas of Africa especially due to forced marriage (my friend rescued by the British red cross was forced into marriage at 8 and had 3 kids by 15 she is 27 now so that wasn't that long ago really)

with a good support network they could have an acting role as parents, not necessarily full responsibility but it could be done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PodgyBoy)
    I actually somewhat agree with sterilising certain people (just my view). I feel that if we do that, we can help get rid of a lot of genetic diseases. I think it's something that in a few hundred years, will be done anyway, in order to help stop overpopulation.

ReputationRep:
    I'm state funded but my family's intelligent, just unfortunate I suppose. I'm putting in an Oxbridge application soon and it would be too arbitrary to throw all potential away because of a test, no matter how accurate it would be.

People should be able to have children, that right should be unconditional, despite what sort of family they were born into, what school they went to, how emotionally in tune they are or anything else. Even in extreme circumstances where we prevent the birth of a child who would surely not survive, or where the parent is too selfish and inflicting, where would our Utilitarian approach end? What's the difference between a child who has to spend its life in care and one who is brought up on benefits?

The only advantage of saying yes would be that it cuts out some social service bureaucracy.

Diversity is probably better for our biological survival anyway, you shouldn't put all your eggs in one eugenic basket. Plus, once the lower echelons of society have been culled, who's gonna do all the washing up?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.