Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hello Ever since high school i'v always been that person who mainly took interest in academics and ignored everything else. As a result i ended up with not too many friends - the people who i think are friends aren't even real friends - just classmates who i know well and chat with through social websites. I am moving to university really soon. My universities freshers week is filled with activities and sessions in order to welcome us to the university life and get us to meet new people. I am horrible at approaching people and tend to chicken out - i think it is due to my low self esteem since i am overweight and very conscious about it. I'v decided to hit the gym as soon as i start university. I will also live in the dorms with other students. My main concern is: how will i be able to change myself and become more social? I am sorry about my bad way of expressing this; i am literary writing what comes to mind right now. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello Ever since high school i'v always been that person who mainly took interest in academics and ignored everything else. As a result i ended up with not too many friends - the people who i think are friends aren't even real friends - just classmates who i know well and chat with through social websites. I am moving to university really soon. My universities freshers week is filled with activities and sessions in order to welcome us to the university life and get us to meet new people. I am horrible at approaching people and tend to chicken out - i think it is due to my low self esteem since i am overweight and very conscious about it. I'v decided to hit the gym as soon as i start university. I will also live in the dorms with other students. My main concern is: how will i be able to change myself and become more social? I am sorry about my bad way of expressing this; i am literary writing what comes to mind right now. Thank you
    From what I've heard about University, people tend to become closer to the people they live in accommodation with, so if you are living in accommodation, you will almost certainly make good friends there. You will also be closer at university to the people in your classes, and will have the opportunity to work together outside of class, which will encourage other conversations that you might usually hold with closer friends.

As self-esteem plays a big part on who people see as approachable, look at yourself in the mirror and think about the parts of yourself that you don't like. Some of those parts you will need to come to terms with, whereas others, such as weight, can be changed with some hard work. You will also find that you make friends in sport areas as well as the gym, which you might want to look into to maintain the figure you reveal.

Other parts, such as facial features, can be altered and improved by makeup, if you are female, or by different hairstyles and facial hair styles if you are male. Something as simple as changing hair colour could make you feel better in yourself for making more effort, or being much more flattering. Have a look online at different hairstyles and how they suit different face shapes.

Your mental attitude will be affected by these changes, but you will also have to develop in yourself, as well as outside. Take a look at the 'shyness' article under the heading 'health and relationships' on this website. The main thing I can advise is to do something that scares you every day. I can't remember who said it first, but it is the best way to make a change in your life.

And last, but not least, look in the mirror, again, and see what assets you have, or what other people might be jealous of. A big part of growing towards adulthood is comparing yourself to others doing the same thing. For example, you might have long, thick, healthy hair if you're female, or broad and strong shoulders if you're male. Spot the things you like about yourself and remember them.

(Original post by carrotstar)
    From what I've heard about University, people tend to become closer to the people they live in accommodation with, so if you are living in accommodation, you will almost certainly make good friends there. You will also be closer at university to the people in your classes, and will have the opportunity to work together outside of class, which will encourage other conversations that you might usually hold with closer friends.

As self-esteem plays a big part on who people see as approachable, look at yourself in the mirror and think about the parts of yourself that you don't like. Some of those parts you will need to come to terms with, whereas others, such as weight, can be changed with some hard work. You will also find that you make friends in sport areas as well as the gym, which you might want to look into to maintain the figure you reveal.

Other parts, such as facial features, can be altered and improved by makeup, if you are female, or by different hairstyles and facial hair styles if you are male. Something as simple as changing hair colour could make you feel better in yourself for making more effort, or being much more flattering. Have a look online at different hairstyles and how they suit different face shapes.

Your mental attitude will be affected by these changes, but you will also have to develop in yourself, as well as outside. Take a look at the 'shyness' article under the heading 'health and relationships' on this website. The main thing I can advise is to do something that scares you every day. I can't remember who said it first, but it is the best way to make a change in your life.

And last, but not least, look in the mirror, again, and see what assets you have, or what other people might be jealous of. A big part of growing towards adulthood is comparing yourself to others doing the same thing. For example, you might have long, thick, healthy hair if you're female, or broad and strong shoulders if you're male. Spot the things you like about yourself and remember them.
    Thank you for this amazing response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you for this amazing response
    No problem. If there's anything you want to discuss message me and I'll try and help!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.