Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bored in the middle of the desert Watch

ReputationRep:
    THtTHIS IS IN NO WAY MY CURRENT PREDICAMENT cough**cough**.
    Imagine you were at a phosphate mine in the middle of thedesert. You have been shadowing a mining engineer on the duties he (THEYARE AN ENGINEER) has to do. After 2 weeks, the shadowing ends and you have 1week remaining in your accommodation to waste.
    The accommodation has:
    · Laptop with internet but social networking isunavailable
    · TV with 890 Arabic TV channels AND 10 footballchannels showing every single Barclays Premier League Football Match possible(all 380)
    · Mobile phone but cannot text friends becausecharges are so expensive
    · Bedroom with all your A Level textbooks that youcould read to ‘brush up’ on your subjects between going back to school
    · Food
    There is NOTHING outside to do – nobody your age to hangaround with, nobody who speaks fluent English, no swimming pool, no beach(although there is sand), no cinema, no bicycles, the list goes on.
    My question is, WHAT WOULD YOU DOTO PASS THAT WEEK? Of course this is all hypothetical.

ReputationRep:
    Learn something. You have the internet at your disposal; learn Javascript, or how to read music or something else useful that you don't already know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tibbles209)
    Learn something. You have the internet at your disposal; learn Javascript, or how to read music or something else useful that you don't already know.
    Ahhh, I like your thinking - maybe something like learning morse-code. Could come in useful one day.

ReputationRep:
    Become a desert convoy raiding bandit, found a cult, take a wife of 9 years of age, kill people (armed and unarmed alike) and hope that one day a bunch of similarly bored desert people will think of you as some kind of prophet.. perhaps? :beard:

(Original post by Nick5757)
    maybe something like learning morse-code. Could come in useful one day.
    Or armed forces callsigns.. :awesome:

Alpha
    Bravo
    Charlie
    Delta
    Echo
    Foxtrot
    Golf
    Hotel
    India
    Juliet
    Kilo
    Lima
    Mike
    Novemeber
    Oscar
    Papa
    Quebec
    Romeo
    Sierra
    Tango
    Uniform
    Victor
    Whiskey
    X-ray
    Yankee
    Zulu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Become a desert convoy raiding bandit, found a cult, take a wife of 9 years of age, kill people and hope that one day a bunch of similarly bored desert people will think of you as some kind of prophet.. perhaps? :beard:

Or armed forces callsigns..

Alpha
    Bravo
    Charlie
    Delta
    Echo
    Foxtrot
    Golf
    Hotel
    India
    Juliet
    Kilo
    Lima
    Mike
    Novemeber
    Oscar
    Papa
    Quebec
    Romeo
    Sierra
    Tango
    Uniform
    Victor
    Whiskey
    X-ray
    Yankee
    Zulu
    Well there are a lot of bandits nearby (local town has history of fighting police etc...) Could work - I mean who needs education when you have crime?!
    The only callsign I know is alpha for alpha-particle.

ReputationRep:
    pull my bar

ReputationRep:
    ... you have internet, why do you even ask?

And for a start, you could think about how to access those social networks you want to access but can't right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcano)
    ... you have internet, why do you even ask?

And for a start, you could think about how to access those social networks you want to access but can't right now.
    God life is dull in the desert. But good point - and with that sort of logic I, opps I mean you could theoretically learn Arabic so that you could talk to some of the locals.

ReputationRep:
    God life is dull in the desert. But good point - and with that sort of logic I, opps I mean you could theoretically learn Arabic so that you could talk to some of the locals.
    ... but not in one week. ^^

ReputationRep:
    For starters I'd spend most the time shadowing the engineer, in the time I'm not I'd watch every single Premier League game I could. It's better than nothing. In between games I could go on TSR, since I do have the internet.

To be honest, you don't really need contact with another English speaking person. You could just make do with what you have.

ReputationRep:
    As long as the laptop has access to a certain kind of website I'm good to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildrover)
    As long as the laptop has access to a certain kind of website I'm good to go.
    I was hoping to avoid comments like that. :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    To be honest, you don't really need contact with another English speaking person. You could just make do with what you have.
    Yeah I know what you mean here, I have a brain full of interesting people to talk to.

ReputationRep:
    I'd start an uprising, as is popular with people my age in the middle east. I would burn effigies of Bush and fire my AK at the filthy pig dog Americans planes.

I would also ride camels, emu's, and have a go at the Libyan sport of 'see how much weaponry can you fit on the back of a Toyota Hilux before attacking government tanks and ****e'

oh yeah and dune surfing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    Yeah I know what you mean here, I have a brain full of interesting people to talk to.
    Are you a little crazy?

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping to avoid comments like that. :unimpressed:
    he was obviously talking about reddit!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwsomePossum)
    I'd start an uprising, as is popular with people my age in the middle east. I would burn effigies of Bush and fire my AK at the filthy pig dog Americans planes.

I would also ride camels, emu's, and have a go at the Libyan sport of 'see how much weaponry can you fit on the back of a Toyota Hilux before attacking government tanks and ****e'

oh yeah and dune surfing
    Good imagination. Just one point - in middle east, an AK is a Kalashnikov.

ReputationRep:
    I'd learn to meditate. Seems like the perfect opportunity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Stuart Mill)
    he was obviously talking about reddit!!!
    That's what I meant!!!

ReputationRep:
    Are you a little crazy?
    Through the alter ego justifications...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.