Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the decision to move in together be judged by age? Watch

Should an adult couple hold back on moving in together simply because of their age? What if they've been together years, are mature for their age and financially stable and feel like living together is right for them, but they're only 18/19/20, for example? Should fears relating to this, such as the reaction of their parents, stop a young couple from making the move? All opinions appreciated

ReputationRep:
    It's up to them. If they are mature enough, financially stable and in a stable relationship, why not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Should an adult couple hold back on moving in together simply because of their age? What if they've been together years, are mature for their age and financially stable and feel like living together is right for them, but they're only 18/19/20, for example? Should fears relating to this, such as the reaction of their parents, stop a young couple from making the move? All opinions appreciated
    To be honest, I would be concerned if a friend moved in with someone that young, as I'd be worried they were tying themselves down so soon. Saying that, you should do what feels right for you as a couple, so if you want to go for it then go for it; don't think of society's opinion: do what makes you feel happy.

ReputationRep:
    yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    2 of my friends moved in together when they were 19. 7 years later they are now married. It definitely can work.

That being said I have seen it go all kinds of wrong more often than it works out with other young couples I know.

ReputationRep:
    Do what feels right + seems sensible but try to avoid burning your bridges with your families

ReputationRep:
    My friend is 20 and has lived together with her boyfriend since 17, and moved half way round the world together... It might not always be plain sailing, but it can work out well.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.