Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied to this job a couple days ago. I got an email today saying I've got a telephone interview. What I'm slightly concerned about is in the email it said they will ask "a few technical questions to gauge your technical aptitude." I have never worked in IT or even studied it/have a qualification. What exactly am I going to be asked? I really think I would do well in this but I have no idea what I'm going to be asked. Here is the job description:

Spoiler:
    Show
    A role has emerged for a young enthusiastic candidate/graduate/junior to add to a team of 9 technical staff. The candidate will enter the team as a junior 1st line technician dealing with hands-on problem fixing and troubleshooting from a variety of hardware and software matters.

The candidate will be expected to have a very quick learning curve as he/she will be thrown a variety of challenges and required to work hard to meet customer expectations and satisfaction. You will learn a VAST amount from this job working with some highly skilled colleagues who will be willing to shed their IT knowledge and experience WITH YOU!

The role will be office based working remotely to diagnose and solve technical problems at customer sites.

The candidate will be given training by virtue of team work and some microsoft qualifications, but it is expected that the successful candidate will be able to work independently and solve a variety of technical challenges individually.

Skills:

Common technologies that the candidate must/will learn are:

Working knowledge of Windows Operating Systems (Win XP and Win7 mainly) to more than just a basic level.
    Production knowledge and awareness of Microsoft Office product suite - not just using it, but installing and troubleshooting common user queries.
    Installation, and troubleshooting of common ADSL queries, home user / small office Wireless environments.
    Mobile email for remote users with Blackberry / iPhone / Windows Mobile troubleshooting.
    Local USB and Network based printer support to manage print queues
    Grass roots knowledge and understanding of PC builds, motherboards, CPUs, memory, disks etc.
    Excellent English reading writing and speaking
    Ability to problems solve mathematics for networking - although this is not required for day-to-day duties you will be required to have an excellent grasp of maths as developing your network skills within the company is imperative.
    As part of this role is communication (in face and via telephone), it is necessary that candidate has very good written and spoken English.

All technical staff are given a thorough aptitude and technical test during interviews, so please be aware that this is part of the companies common employment practice.

This is a fantastic opportunity to get your first job in IT. You will be pushed hard and learn a great deal as the first stepping stone of your IT career. In return, we expect hard work and excellent attitude. Although much of the skills above may seem demanding at first, within a few months, you will have adopted this as core skills - but to learn them, you MUST have an intelliegent head on you to understand and learn all of the challenges we throw at you.

Thanks all in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S'Class)
    I applied to this job a couple days ago. I got an email today saying I've got a telephone interview. What I'm slightly concerned about is in the email it said they will ask "a few technical questions to gauge your technical aptitude." I have never worked in IT or even studied it/have a qualification. What exactly am I going to be asked? I really think I would do well in this but I have no idea what I'm going to be asked. Here is the job description:

Thanks all in advance.
    Looking at that description, you'd be covering a fairly broad range of stuff so I couldn't recommend any specific new skills to learn in advance of the interview. Even if you haven't studied IT formally, you'll have picked up many skills just using technology day to day so these could come in useful.

If you get asked about problems that you can't immediately resolve then first of all check for any basic issues - are there any cables unplugged or is a website not working because the customer's internet connection has gone down for instance. Try and narrow down the problem to a specific device or piece of software. That way, even of you can't resolve the problem yourself then you would be able to refer the customer to someone with more expertise in that area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttoby)
    Looking at that description, you'd be covering a fairly broad range of stuff so I couldn't recommend any specific new skills to learn in advance of the interview. Even if you haven't studied IT formally, you'll have picked up many skills just using technology day to day so these could come in useful.

If you get asked about problems that you can't immediately resolve then first of all check for any basic issues - are there any cables unplugged or is a website not working because the customer's internet connection has gone down for instance. Try and narrow down the problem to a specific device or piece of software. That way, even of you can't resolve the problem yourself then you would be able to refer the customer to someone with more expertise in that area.
    Thank you. But what exactly do they mean by gauging my technical attitude?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. But what exactly do they mean by gauging my technical attitude?
    Attitude or aptitude? Looking up aptitude in the dictionary, it seems they're interested in your general ability to solve problems of a technical nature. So for instance they would want to see if you can ask the right questions, not get really confused, spot if something looks wrong and is potentially causing an issue etc.

Edit: I'll also clarify that this is more of a soft skill that they're testing rather than looking for a raw level of knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttoby)
    Attitude or aptitude? Looking up aptitude in the dictionary, it seems they're interested in your general ability to solve problems of a technical nature. So for instance they would want to see if you can ask the right questions, not get really confused, spot if something looks wrong and is potentially causing an issue etc.

Edit: I'll also clarify that this is more of a soft skill that they're testing rather than looking for a raw level of knowledge.
    Yes sorry aptitude. OK thank you, just nervous because I've never done this kind of thing before. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Yes sorry aptitude. OK thank you, just nervous because I've never done this kind of thing before. Thank you.
    It's worth getting some practice then before the interview. If you know anyone having trouble with their computer, go and help them fix it. Or alternatively, get a friend to 'break' their computer by perhaps unplugging something or changing a setting then go and try and fix their problem.

ReputationRep:
    They want to gauge your problem solving skills, how you think when you are presented with a problem etc. And also knowledge of windows and office is pretty much expected. (Source - I work in IT)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.