Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Heading to UEA in September, and accommodation is all wired there. Is there a way I can get wifi, like buying a router and just plugging my cable into that? Bit miffed if I won't be able to get wifi tbh.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what sort if router it is. A few of my flatmates last year used Apple Airport Express routers which worked great. However, I've tried BT and Belkin hubs which have both failed.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just did a quick search through these forums and found this:

(Original post by UEAAccommodation)

(Original post by jelly1000)
    I know there is a reason why their isn't Wifi in halls, but I can't remember why, and a few people in my halls group on facebook are like 'oh considering how much we are paying for halls I'd expect wifi'.
    A few reasons really. Firstly it's because when the buildings were built (and I know its only a few years ago in some cases) Wi-Fi was not as prevelent as it is now. To retrospectively fit it into the rooms would be a very expensive and time consuming exercise and this would impact on the rent that you guys have to pay. I know it may look like our rent is expensive but you have to compare us to other Universities in this instance - we really are not. I would think that we are one of the more resonably priced (for accommodation) in the country.

Secondly we couldn't guarantee what kind of reception you would get in your rooms even if we did fit it. We know how bad the TV signal is inside some of our buildings due to the nature of their construction (the walls seem to block it). The same thing could happen to a Wi-Fi signal.

There are a few Wi-Fi spots around the campus though that you can use while you are out and about.

One thing I will say though, please don't fit your own routers in your rooms. Even if you do get it working it's against the terms or service of your UEA IT contract. If you break these terms the IT department can restrict your use or even cut you off the network completely.

Sorry we don't have it. If we could, we would offer it. We always want to improve what we offer to our residents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C4C)
    Hi, just did a quick search through these forums and found this:
    I think i read somewhere that last year they were testing wifi in certain halls but i cant be 100% sure. the post with my quote in is from 2 years ago now when i was a fresher.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think they will mind you using your own wireless router if you don't get it to broadcast the name and password it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit brutal for people who (like me) don't have an ethernet port on their laptop, so can only use wifi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    It's a bit brutal for people who (like me) don't have an ethernet port on their laptop, so can only use wifi
    didnt realise there were any laptops like that. anyway you can see why they have taken a while putting it in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.