Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone

Now that result's day has passed, it's finally sinking in that I have a free year ahead of me, which is both a daunting and exciting prospect! I'm a medicine re-applicant, so the plan is to work, earn money and hopefully travel sometime next year!

In the mean time, I decided to compile a list of fun/exciting/random things to do whilst on my gap year, and would love some suggestions

101 Things to do on my gap year

1) Travel to somewhere new
    2) Learn to drive
    3) Go to a music festival
    4) Do a charity run
    5) Learn how to skateboard
    6) Get better at playing the guitar

Please help me finish it :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sounds like you're in the same boat as me! And have some of the same things as on your list XD. I don't know if this is relevant to you but I'm planning on doing lots of voluntary projects and work in order to gain experience and feel useful I reckon learning a language would be a good plan too - particularly with travel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thoughtfuldragon)
    Hey, sounds like you're in the same boat as me! And have some of the same things as on your list XD. I don't know if this is relevant to you but I'm planning on doing lots of voluntary projects and work in order to gain experience and feel useful I reckon learning a language would be a good plan too - particularly with travel
    Hey fellow gapper

I have organised a few voluntary projects already, should have probably added that to the list :rolleyes:. But I totally agree, experience and feeling useful are a must. I reckon it'll be those times when I feel like I have nothing to do will be the hardest. But hopefully careful planning means I can avoid this :cool:

As for learning a language, I could try, not exactly my forte though. (GCSE French was a stretch for me! )

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm kind of the same on the language front But I really like the idea of knowing one XD

What kind of voluntary things are you planning on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thoughtfuldragon)
    Yeah, I'm kind of the same on the language front But I really like the idea of knowing one XD

What kind of voluntary things are you planning on?
    Same. Was considering sign language, as I started to learn bits whilst volunteering with children who have sensory impairments. Only really know: Hello, Blackcurrant and Thank you...but hey,it's a start

Well, I already volunteer as a leader in a kid's club and youth group, so I plan on carrying that on. But also hoping to go back to volunteering in a school for disabled children, which I did as part of enrichment in Year 12. And have applied to volunteer at my local children's hospice

How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good! I'm taking a gap year too and we have some of the same goals; travelling, going to a festival and practising instruments (mines the Violin.) But I already do some volunteering with a writers group and through my church.

Have you thought about working at the festival? I know that wont be the same experience but it might be an option

And in terms of travelling I've been looking at ICS, the government programme, because its sooo cheap! (They also help you with learning the language of whatever country your based in which is ace!!)

You could think about developing a creative skill? Like writing, or art? Or take up a sport/ dance classes (or Zumba!!)

Hope this is helpful! I would love to hear any ideas you can share with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessietulle)
    Sounds good! I'm taking a gap year too and we have some of the same goals; travelling, going to a festival and practising instruments (mines the Violin.) But I already do some volunteering with a writers group and through my church.

Have you thought about working at the festival? I know that wont be the same experience but it might be an option

And in terms of travelling I've been looking at ICS, the government programme, because its sooo cheap! (They also help you with learning the language of whatever country your based in which is ace!!)

You could think about developing a creative skill? Like writing, or art? Or take up a sport/ dance classes (or Zumba!!)

Hope this is helpful! I would love to hear any ideas you can share with me.
    Hey there! I also volunteer with my church and plan on carrying that on.

I thought about volunteering at a festival, but would be gutted if I had a shifts whilst my favourite artist or the headliner was playing

Yes! I applied to ICS, looks so good, but I was massively unsure about the likelihood of getting a place. Seems so good, I imagine it would be very competitive!

Learning a skill is a great idea! I think I might try and write a few songs . (Already a secret Zumba fan )

Will be sharing lots more ideas on here when I think of them, so I'll keep you posted!

If I get a good camera, I plan on taking a picture every day for the year. Also thinking of starting a blog! So many ideas, so much time to do it all :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elcie)
    Hey everyone

Now that result's day has passed, it's finally sinking in that I have a free year ahead of me, which is both a daunting and exciting prospect! I'm a medicine re-applicant, so the plan is to work, earn money and hopefully travel sometime next year!

In the mean time, I decided to compile a list of fun/exciting/random things to do whilst on my gap year, and would love some suggestions

101 Things to do on my gap year

1) Travel to somewhere new
    2) Learn to drive
    3) Go to a music festival
    4) Do a charity run
    5) Learn how to skateboard
    6) Get better at playing the guitar

Please help me finish it :cool:
    (Original post by elcie)
    Yes! I applied to ICS, looks so good, but I was massively unsure about the likelihood of getting a place. Seems so good, I imagine it would be very competitive!
    (Original post by jessietulle)
    Hey! I have a list for things I want to do as well, these are the first 15 on my list (it's too long to post it all here!)

1 - Go on holiday with friends (done)
    2 - Get my ears pierced
    3 - Get a tattoo
    4 - Learn to drive
    5 - Become fluent in Spanish
    6 - Start to learn Gaelic
    7 - Go to a festival
    8 - Find a job
    9 - Take a self defense class
    10 - Take a first aid course
    11 - Have a house party
    12 - Take up yoga or pilates
    13 - Go interrailing
    14 - Actually complete the scarf I started knitting a year ago
    15 - Learn to play poker

Also, I applied to ICS and am going to Bolivia with International Service in 4 and a half weeks! If you want any info about the ICS scheme then just PM me and I'll do my best to help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 03hope03)
    Hey! I have a list for things I want to do as well, these are the first 15 on my list (it's too long to post it all here!)

1 - Go on holiday with friends (done)
    2 - Get my ears pierced
    3 - Get a tattoo
    4 - Learn to drive
    5 - Become fluent in Spanish
    6 - Start to learn Gaelic
    7 - Go to a festival
    8 - Find a job
    9 - Take a self defense class
    10 - Take a first aid course
    11 - Have a house party
    12 - Take up yoga or pilates
    13 - Go interrailing
    14 - Actually complete the scarf I started knitting a year ago
    15 - Learn to play poker

Also, I applied to ICS and am going to Bolivia with International Service in 4 and a half weeks! If you want any info about the ICS scheme then just PM me and I'll do my best to help
    Oh wow! Bolivia is where I would like to go, is it through Tearfund?

I haven't quite worked out the PM function on this thing...

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm also taking a gap year, sounds like a lot of your to do lists are similar to mine. One thing I really want to do is self teach acoustic guitar - which I know will require a lot of work! I'm considering taking up piano lessons again which I dropped last year and doing Grade 5 And I really want to learn a language, maybe Spanish!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, some of us are talking about our gap year plans here too: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2447597 I hope everyone's gap years have got off to a good start!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elcie)
    Oh wow! Bolivia is where I would like to go, is it through Tearfund?

I haven't quite worked out the PM function on this thing...
    It's with International Service, another of the ICS partner organisations, and I'm out here now! If you have any questions then just ask

ReputationRep:
    I'd seriously recommend interrailing. So much so that I've made a blog telling people to go! (Work in progress)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.