Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Notification of a General Election

In accordance with the Guidance Document and the Constitution, the Prime Minister has decided to call a snap general election. Thus, it is my job to start turning the cogs needed for electing the next generation of MPs into Parliament XVIII and to begin the process of dissolution. So, let the fun and games begin...

The General Election will be held on the evening of Saturday 24th August, 2013.

The deadline for manifesto submissions will be Saturday 24th August, at 17:00 BST (5PM).

Both parties and independents can stand, that includes independents even if they've never ever participated in TSR politics ever before! What better way to get involved?
    If you wish to stand, you will need to PM me your manifesto by the deadline. This gives you just under 7 days to get everything sorted.

Election Timetable
    The election timetable will be as follows

(Day 0) Saturday 17th August
    Election is called by The Speaker as parliament has expired. A wash up period of seven days remains in place but no new items will be submitted to The Speaker. The Speaker will inform parties to submit their manifestos.

(Day 3) Tuesday 20th August, 00:00
    Items currently in discussion or cessation (as of Day 0) may no longer be sent to vote and will be considered automatically withdrawn. I want the results of items to be clearly known a good few hours before the election, hence this cut-off is non-negotiable.

(Day 7) Saturday 24th August, 17:00
    All manifesto’s should have been received by the Speaker who shall admit them subject to them meeting the criteria to stand. Who formally declares the previous parliament dissolved and shall remove all MP's from the Division Lobby Forum.

(Day 7) Saturday 24th August, evening
    The Speaker will post a thread containing ALL manifestos and a secret poll will be added which is open for 7 days with the option for “Spoilt Ballot”. The location of this thread will be the usual Model House of Commons subforum.

(Day 14) Saturday 31st August, evening
    Results of the election are declared by The Speaker, who will then inform party leaders they have 7 days to form any coalitions.

(Day 21) Saturday 7th September, evening
    Details of formed coalitions are formally announced by the speaker who invites the leader of the largest coalition/party that fulfills article 6.1 to form a government and nominate a prime minister for appointment. The Speaker invites the leader of the largest party that does not take part in the government and that fulfills article 7.1 to form a shadow ministry.

(Day 21) Saturday 7th September, evening
    The Speaker formally declares the Eighteenth Parliament open and announces details of that parliament's expiration date.

Manifesto Content
    Please make sure you familiarise yourselves with the rules surrounding manifestos. I've included them here for reference and they will be enforced to the letter. If you aren't sure whether something will be allowed, ask me first via PM. If you send something which has been disallowed then I will notify you as soon as I can.

4) Manifestos submitted must be less than 250 words and may not contain videos or audio clips unless created by a member of the party in question. The Speaker will cut the manifesto at the 250 word mark if they go over.
    i) all words typed or spoken within the manifesto will be counted (this excludes the 20 word tagline).
    ii) videos and audio clips will be removed before textual content is until the word limit is met.
    5) Manifestos can include up to 2 images.
    6) Manifestos are allowed a 20 word tagline.

Remember! The deadline for submitting your manifestos is Sunday 24th August 2013 at 5PM BST!!! As the timetable states, the actual election thread will go up later that day. The thread will appear in the Model House of Commons subforum.

Wash-up
    As mentioned above, I will not be accepting new items from now on, but there will be a wash-up period. Items can still be sent to vote (with changes if appropriate) and, to reiterate, the deadline for doing this is Tuesday 20th August at 00:00.

Parliament is formally dissolved shortly after the manifesto deadline on Sunday 24th August 2013.

If you have any questions, feel free to post in this thread or send me a PM. Good luck to all parties and independents who choose to contest this election.

Let the XVIII Parliament Games begin!

ReputationRep:
      This is a surprise....

ReputationRep:
      Well that was out of the blue
      • Section Leader
      • Political Ambassador
      • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
      Elections are so exciting. Thanks for a great term everyone. :yy:

ReputationRep:
      wat.

ReputationRep:
      Ooh okay

ReputationRep:
      Wash Up

As mentioned above, I will not be accepting new items from now on, but there will be a wash-up period. Items can still be sent to vote (with changes if appropriate) and, to reiterate, the deadline for doing this is Tuesday 20th March at 00:00.

I take it you mean August?

ReputationRep:
      *smiles mysteriously*

Thanks for a brilliant 17th Parliament everyone!
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      Unexpectedly early! Any reasons for bringing this forward?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ladynova)
      wat.
      There will be a General Election for the TSR Model House of Commons
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      Oh you Tories and your schemings!

ReputationRep:
      Let the fun and games begin then!

Bit of a baptism of fire for me as party leader; I'd better get working

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MacDaddi)
      Let the XVIII Parliament Games begin!
      And may the odds be ever in your favour!

ReputationRep:
      How do you vote?

ReputationRep:
      Lets get to it!!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Henry_Tudor)
      How do you vote?
      You'll need to be a member of TSR for 3 months and have 100 or more posts.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by meenu89)
      You'll need to be a member of TSR for 3 months and have 100 or more posts.

What?!

Whats your election turn out?

Is it not my democratic right to be able to vote from day 1?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Henry_Tudor)
      What?!

Whats your election turn out?

Is it not my democratic right to be able to vote from day 1?
      You'll have to take it up with the Mods and the Speaker, nothing to do with me

ReputationRep:
      Hmmm. Interesting...

Whichever party outlines the most libertarian platform will doubtless win my vote.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.