Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I occasionally had trust issues with my boyfriend because he was a flirty person by nature and had a lot of female friends. Whenever I voiced these issues he used to get angry/upset with me that I didn't trust him. So I would reconcile and admit I was an idiot for not trusting him. Recently (but a long time since the incident happened) he confessed to cheating on me with one of said female friends. Sex. The whole package.

Obviously we are no longer together.

I haven't even told anyone. I'm just ashamed that I loved someone for so long who had so little respect for me.

But why do people do these things? Am I an idiot for naively trusting people? Or do I have to accept that I'm not enough to satisfy someone and they're always going to turn to other girls?

Damn TSR. This isn't a 'where are all the nice guys!?' thread. I genuinely thought he was the loveliest, nicest boy I'd ever met. Dunno what I did to f*** him up so much.

/rant

ReputationRep:
    There are nice people out there OP, I know it must be hard but just try brush this guy aside. Move on, and find that guy! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Am I an idiot for naively trusting people? Or do I have to accept that I'm not enough to satisfy someone and they're always going to turn to other girls?

Neither. Relationships need trust - if you had not trusted in him then you would have damaged your relationship. As it turns out, he's the one who ruined everything but you should never blame yourself for that. Some people just have poor self control and are disloyal, no matter how perfect their partner is. Keep your chin up, one day soon you will find someone who is wonderful and trustworthy and loyal and you will wonder why you ever wasted a second of your life fretting about time wasters like your ex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    But why do people do these things?
    Because society tells guys they should be monogamous, and guys like the regular sex/emotional aspects that monogamy affords, but unfortunately most young, red blooded males are programmed to mate widely. Some of them allow themselves to be closeted, others cheat, and others, like me, just try to be real about it with themselves/their partners and generally avoid committing until things get serious/it feels right, save any major drama/trauma

ReputationRep:
    While it feels easy to blame yourself, that won't help, as you're not at fault here. Sure you can go cursing his name for months, but you need to get over him in your own time, which is actually easier than it sounds (from experience).

Don't forget though, no matter how long you were together, it is better it happened today than in a year's time, or 2, or 3, or 4... It's better to know now than let it be strung out, and waste your time, which is what matters.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.