The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Current Cardiff student here :)

As I am completely bored, thought I'd make a thread where any new/prospective Cardiff Uni students can ask me anything you need to know about the uni or the city in general. I was trained to work at the uni open days, so I'll try my best to help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What do think is best to buy for freshers week? out of the student union band, and tickets and other stuff...
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by MEIBL
What do think is best to buy for freshers week? out of the student union band, and tickets and other stuff...

I would go for the official SU band - I got that in 2011. Most people will go for that because it's the only one they know of, and all the Freshers events in the union will be rammed, especially the Freshers Ball. The other 'unofficial' events will be in town and will be full of 2nd and 3rd years too, so if you go to the Union you can be sure it's 100% freshers (not that we 2nd and 3rd years aren't very nice people or anything haha). Best to stick to the uni-run events at first before venturing out into the city.
Should we buy fresher tickets/wristbands around about now or when we actually arrive at cardiff..?
Reply 4
Original post by andromeda24
Should we buy fresher tickets/wristbands around about now or when we actually arrive at cardiff..?

I bought mine before I think - they encourage you to, as events like the Freshers Ball usually sell out (vastly overrated IMO). But if you leave it until you get to Cardiff, they'll probably still have some. Basically if you want to go to any of the union events, you'll 99% be able to get in even if you leave it until the day.
Reply 5
Advice for non-drinkers during freshers?

Obviously I want to go to all the events and meet as many people as I can, I just find clubbing so boring!
Reply 6
Original post by hash007

Obviously I want to go to all the events and meet as many people as I can, I just find clubbing so boring!

Honestly, I don't think anyone will notice if you don't drink! Before I went to uni I had never really drank heavily before, so I took things easy at first. It's worth trying to go on a few of the big nights out, even if you don't enjoy them at least you can say you tried. If you get something like an orange juice or cola in a club, no one will know it doesn't have alcohol in it, so you can be discreet if you're worried about people judging you (if they do, they're probably not worth bothering with).

One thing I'd recommend is if you're in a Facebook group for freshers in your halls/course or whatever, make a post saying you're holding a get together at your flat for people who don't like clubbing/want something a bit more sedate. You'll be surprised at how many people are the same as you - I went to a few of them in the first few weeks of uni (inbetween the usual clubbing) and met one of my closest friends there :smile:
Reply 7
Got a place at Victoria Hall, but it was my fourth choice. Anyone know if its any good ?

Studying Biochem
Original post by -aimz
As I am completely bored, thought I'd make a thread where any new/prospective Cardiff Uni students can ask me anything you need to know about the uni or the city in general. I was trained to work at the uni open days, so I'll try my best to help :smile:

How safe is the city? Is it easy to walk around, or is transportation needed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by hash007

So glad that I'm not alone in this, I thought everyone would be worshipping clubs when I don't want to be going to them every night

Also, what's the big ice breaker like? I don't know if I should go cause I have my first talk the next day and I kind of want to be awake for it ahaha
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by -aimz

I dont know yet what halls im in as I'm going through clearing and it seems already that everyone else is on facebook finding out who they are living with and I feel as if when I get there everyone will have ready made friends online and ill be left out. Whats it like making friends when you arrive? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hash007

So relieved to find out that others don't find clubbing or drinking particularly fun either!
To the non-drinkers on here, be aware that you might find being in a club extremely boring while sober.You may also come across as boring as you turn down every drink offered to you. I'd advise finding other people who don't drink and going out with them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by ScottRowbot
Got a place at Victoria Hall, but it was my fourth choice. Anyone know if its any good ?

Studying Biochem

I think, if I remember rightly, Victoria Hall is not uni-owned accommodation, but it's pretty much opposite Talybont. So make friends from there, they'll only be a short walk away :smile:

Original post by Coffeetime
How safe is the city? Is it easy to walk around, or is transportation needed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say Cardiff is a safe city compared to a lot of places - the city centre is relatively small and it's all pedestrianised - from the top of Queen Street to the stadium (my idea of the city centre) is about 15 minutes walk. Most of the 'bad' parts of town (Adamsdown, Splott, Ely) are located well away from the student areas and not in walking distance. Obviously exercise caution wherever you are, but if you're walking from the student areas into town, you'll probably be fine as it's quite a secure area. There is an (unreliable) bus service, but all the places you'll usually want to go to are in walking distance so no need to use it :smile:

I come from near Birmingham, and I feel 100% safer walking around the main parts of Cardiff than I do in Birmingham, if that reassures you!

Original post by rhiaroo
So glad that I'm not alone in this, I thought everyone would be worshipping clubs when I don't want to be going to them every night

Also, what's the big ice breaker like? I don't know if I should go cause I have my first talk the next day and I kind of want to be awake for it ahaha

I presume the icebreaker is somewhere like Tiger Tiger? If it's as popular as it sounds, it will be absolutely rammed so I would get there early if you want to get in (Tiger Tiger is not a very large place!). Therefore you probably won't be able to do much actual 'ice-breaking' in there haha. But by all means go along if you want, you probably won't miss much if you don't :smile: If you do have a talk early the next day, just try to slip away early or not drink much - the talks don't require too much deep thinking anyway, and a lot of other people will be hungover too!

Original post by hv03vfx
I dont know yet what halls im in as I'm going through clearing and it seems already that everyone else is on facebook finding out who they are living with and I feel as if when I get there everyone will have ready made friends online and ill be left out. Whats it like making friends when you arrive? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my experience, people will think they've made friends online, but have nothing to do with them when it actually comes to meeting in reality! You'll be introduced to a lot of people in a short space of time, the best thing to do is just be friendly to all of them and try and figure out who seems to be the best potential friend and try and get to know them better. A lot of people will be in the same boat as you, so don't worry and just go with the flow! You'll find friends in the most unexpected of places :smile:
Reply 14
Okay cool thanks :smile: it just feels as if I'll turn up to my halls and everyone there will be frienss already but im sure it's just me worrying and everything will be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Last Centurion
So relieved to find out that others don't find clubbing or drinking particularly fun either!

Me either :smile:
hello
i'll be coming here in september and was wondering where i should go to look for jobs for students , i'm applying for subway , but is there anyone that helps students find jobs around the uni ? also it is possible to work for the unions ?

i'm worried because i haven't been successful in the past in finding jobs and such , but would like to take opportunities when i start, i would appreciate any tips :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by strikerextreme
hello
i'll be coming here in september and was wondering where i should go to look for jobs for students , i'm applying for subway , but is there anyone that helps students find jobs around the uni ? also it is possible to work for the unions ?

i'm worried because i haven't been successful in the past in finding jobs and such , but would like to take opportunities when i start, i would appreciate any tips :smile:

I think their is a job shop in Cardiff Student Union
Original post by sprog101
I think their is a job shop in Cardiff Student Union

thanks , is the freshers writsband needed to access the unions ?
Reply 19
Original post by strikerextreme
thanks , is the freshers writsband needed to access the unions ?

I've read up that you have to go in to pick your student card first day I believe then if you want to go to any freshers events, you have to buy a wrist band from the SU

Quick Reply

Latest